Are the beauty standards set for today's women healthy?

• Women no longer need to avoid sun exposure and sport.

I agree that some (most?) models are too skinny but modern men prefer thin and fit women, and that's healthy. In the past women would be considered beautiful if their skin was as white as paper and they should be slightly overweight and visibly weak. I think our current beauty standards are an improvement on that.

• No, women today are almost always pressured into being extremely skinny, and that is not healthy.

You see it in magazines and on the television all the time: models looking inordinately skinny and frail. So many celebrities are giving women the impulse to be slim by being skinny themselves. Some people are not built that way, and they will be made to feel ugly if they don't look like these models and celebrities. The beauty standards for women today are terrible because there are so many women suffering from bulimia and anorexia, trying to live up to what they see around them.

Posted by: KitIittI3
  • Beauty standards are changing to a more healthy body image.

Gone is the time where models were all super skinny, horribly unhealthy skeletons. In the past few years there has been a dramatic change in the modeling industry. Now you see women of a healthy size promoting the beauty products. Now women have realistic, and much more healthy models to emulate.

Posted by: elen111
  • The beauty standards set for today's women are healthy, because a big part of it is maintaining their weight.

One of the big problems in our society is obesity. One of the key beauty standards is to be physically fit. The importance of this is to teach women the proper way of doing this. It takes a lot of work to properly maintain one's weight, and those who oppose this are the ones who are not willing to work at it properly, or just choose to be lazy about it.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • Beauty is set to healthy and pretty beauty.

So I think its healthy because it set to healthy beuty.
    Sure sure sure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure suresure sure

• Not necessarily .

Current beauty standards only cause people to become more prejudgmental than they already are. Even if someone is not physically unhealthy, they may become mentally damaged due to the social pressure put on them to look a certain way. Although physical appearance can make a first impression, it does not define people for who they are.

• Beauty standards create pressure on the women

In today's world mostly women try to meet the standards of that beauty which in fact undermined the capabilities of women.Women as human being not survived in the world rather than a commodity .People consider them as a body not as a soul.This create most of the time frustration in them.They run for a race which has no destination.

• Beauty standards are unhealthy!

Beauty standards are too unreal! Mainstream media adds pressure on women by showing unreachable "beauty" by models that don't look like that themselves because they are photo-shopped. Women spend over 20 billion dollars on cosmetic surgery alone every year. Women suffer from low self esteem and this can lead to mental disease, causing diseases like anorexia, bulimia, and depression. Living a happy life becomes a challenge. This isn't fair, beauty isn't one way. We are all beautiful. We all have different genes and are meant to look uniquely different. God is too creative to make all of us look the same.

• Woman need to learn that your inner beauty/ personality is what matters the most once you have gained that your physical beauty will shin brighter

Physical beauty standards are making woman become sick with bulimia and anorexia. It is also causing them to be depressed to the point of suicide. When your inner beauty matters first your thoughts change and become more positive making you not wanting to harm yourself and helping get ride of your negative mind.

• We are expected...

As women to be size "0" skinny and to have flawless skin when, actually, we should praised for our curves. Us as women, shouldn't have to be super skinny. I am not super skinny. I am a 13 year-old girl who is 120 lbs. I am not fat, but I have my curvy waist and I adore my curvy waist so do my friends. I love my curves and so should everyone else.

• Tumblr girls are in now

Now a days everyone online looks the same and guys being them obsess over that stuff anyone who looks different isn't considered pretty I don't find it fair AND I'M ONLY THIRTEEN IT HURTS KNOWING I AM BEING COMPARED TO OTHERS AND DON'T FIT THE "STANDARDS" THANK YOU TUMBLR !

• Not Fair! :(

Nowadays society is not as often praising skinny girls as they are praising girls with curves and alittle more weight on them. Yes, in some instances this is good, but also completely unfair to the naturally thin people. In reality, any beauty standard is no good, sense they will always put down someone's appearance. So be you. If you are thin, then lucky you, you will look really good when you are older, or already do! And if you have a bit more on you, then embrace that as well, because you are beautiful too. But I think beauty standards will never be good, because they will always make women more self conscious of their bodies, and you should never feel bad about who you are!

• The beauty standards of today are f***** stupid

Woman should not have to look or be a certain way to feel Beautiful because they already are. Society id just actually f*****. Like why should we look like how they want us to... As long as we are happy with OURSELVES and the way we are then that should be good enough

• Not necessarily .

• It's just not right!

Society has always had a few loose screws. But this is what drives me up the wall. Men have fashion trends. Not beauty standards. Women are a whole 'nother story. We have to shave all of our hair. We have to be skinny. We have to have certain hair colors and certain clothes and specific personality types and like certain things just to fit in with something that's already out of popularity.

Dear women,
    Don't think you have to fit in. I refuse to because I know someone finds me beautiful. Whoever that may be. And I can't be happy following someone else's trends. I do what I do and you should do what you do because that in it's own is beautiful. And well respected.

• Be healthier than a model

Even if the least Victoria's Secret model dies after you, she will have passed her life trying to reach a simple beauty standard made by society and fake influential people.
    You don't need the others to be beautiful. You don't even need to be beautiful. Be healthy and everything around you will be healthier too; beginnng by your reflect in the mirror.

• Being yourself should be the new trend

Society has set the expectations way too high. I, myself, am expected to be taller, thinner, prettier, when I'm confident already in the way I look. But I know people who have been judged so much for not meeting the standards that they have developed body weight issues, insecurities, and can't even look at themselves in the mirror without grimacing at their reflection.

• No to beauty ideals!

I think that the thought of beuaty ideals is awful, I mean why should I look and act like someone everyone else and the society whant me to be when I don't want to be that kind of woman (or man, men do also have beauty ideals)?
    Beauty comes from the inside and not the outside.