Are the Borg (Star Trek) a ripoff of the Cybermen (Doctor Who)?

Asked by: Ragnar
  • Cybermen came first

Because Cybermen came first, they coined the idea of assimilation.
    Even though the whole idea is based off of a scientific theory, assimilation is at the root of both creature creations.
    The Cybermen simply do it properly while the Borg have wires hanging all over the place.
    It is obvious however as time goes by they have started borrowing from each other.

• The Bore are a carbon copy of the Cybermen.

Heck,they stole the most iconic line "Resistance is futile", and they say that they seek perfection. Also, if anyone sounds silly, it's the Borg. What villains ever sounded threatening in an american accent? Though admitedly the 80s Cybermen were campy rubbish, but I think of tenth planet and tomb of the cybermen, very creepy stuff. Someone was a Who fan and instead of buying the rights for the integration of both universes they made a carbon copy.

• Borg are copies

With the klingons good Star Trek needed to come up with a new villain quickly or else people would get very bored very quickly and stop watching . So they knocked off a monster from a tv show, not the best one no people would notice but the second best

• Cybermen came first.

As cool as steam-punk is, the Borg seem to be no more than a steam-punk version of the Cybermen. They have their moments, yet none that actually distinguish them from being just a copy of the Doctor Who villains. It's almost as if the power of the Cybermen infested yet another universe.

• Yup, sure are

I'm a little surprised there wasn't some sort of legal action against Star Trek's producers for blatantly ripping off the Cybermen when they made the Borg. The similarities are overwhelming and the differences are pretty much cosmetic and/or a function of Star Trek's bigger production budgets. Conceptually, they are the same.

• Watch both you will see

Cyber men only look campy because of budgets and technology of the time the premise is 100% stolen. If you watch both you will see it but peoples love of "their" show blinds them. But as both shows are in my top 5 favs I think I am a very fair judge having said this in a fight borg vs cyber men the borg would win.

• The Borg are copies

The Borg are another version. The idea of forced assimilation was not new when the cyber men came along - Body snatcher used the idea ten years before- but the technological absorption seen in The tenth planet, moonbase , Tomb and Invasion was. The ttropes are all then borrowed by the Borg. Mind you , the cylons are a more obvious rip off

• The Borg are inspired by certainly.

That said, the Borg are indeed much more imposing than the Cybermen and Dalek combined. The Borg bring a bigger sense of hopelessness. Once Locutis was on the scene no one was safe, and nothing was sacred. I never have a doubt that the Doctor won't escape intact every time. I love all of it, but The Borg are a bit better. Certainly better fleshed out ( pun intended ) anyway.

• Inspired, perhaps, but not a rip off.

While there are of course some remarkable similarities, bear in mind that Cybermen have always been portrayed as individuals in the Doctor Who series. Meanwhile the Borg in Star Trek are one giant hive mind, with one voice and one purpose of assimilation, there is no individual identity. Also, the Borg do not sound quite as ridiculous as Cybermen do.

• Just because Cybermen came first, doesn't mean that the Borg are a rip off.

The Borg and the Cybermen are different in a lot of aspects. Yes, the have several similarities, but ultimately, they are not the same. I think the creator of the Borg created a new and unique species. They are still visibly human, rather than the Cybermen who are practically just robots using the human brain as a tool. The Borg assimilate and require a special environment to live in, whereas the Cybermen just take what comes their way. (From what I know) The Borg are an alien species while the Cybermen were created from humans.