• Especially on our healthcare system

It's difficult to understand how it can be justified spending thousands of dollars on keeping people alive who don't have a chance to get better. They cost our healthcare system far more than any other age group put together. And many people who ever really worked will get more of a pension than I ever will.

• Elderly ain't nothing but trouble...

The elderly are a burden on society. Financially they are a huge drain making up half the benefit bill on their own, even though they would prefer you to blame the single mums and immigrants.
    They wander around clogging up the pavements whilst striking up mindless conversation with cash machines and trying to argue with self service checkouts.
    I propose that there should be an OAP curfew imposed, allowing them loose on the streets between the hours of 12 and 2pm on a Wednesday. Also that they should have their own checkouts and cash machines (with extra large buttons) so that the rest of us can get on with working hard in order to pax tax so that they may claim a pension and cold weather payments. This is all....

• Yes the elderly and chronically very ill ARE a burden to society

Im not talking about older people that are still active and contributing in some way like taking care of grandchildren and giving of useful information that people actually want. I'm talking about elderly people (or even those in their 50s and 60's who act like it) that babble on and on making stories bigger and bigger when no one wants to listen, telling them again and again. They cant listen because they cant hear what your saying, they need a round the clock sitter so they don't hurt themselves by falling OUT of their costly government paid scooter, need someone to feed, change and bathe them, demanding that it be done in style without so much as a thank you many times. Elderly who needed that much care used to die of disease before they became useless, but with the advent of modern medicine, they stay alive on respirators and tubefeeding. When young people want to know what happenedin1920 they need not listen to an elderly persons tainted veiw but instead can get it from online sources or google. So really, what good are those kind of elderly?

• What do they do?

Very little add anything to society and most drain it and take it's resources. Some do not even know their children's names there should be a mandatory test for people past a certain age to see if they are still capable of basic tasks such as memory tests and mobility if they fail then they should be euthanized.

• Social security and health care

Old people do nothing and expect everything in return. They complain about minor things and cause serious problems to the younger generation. The cost of maintaining them should not be the problem of the younger generation. Older people should maintain themselves or have their children maintain their needs, not other people or society.

• The elderly need to go.

The elderly put an economic drain on society. Medical costs and a growing number of pensioners are creating an unsustainable system. Yet, when they don't retire and become pensioners they are useless in the workforce. They don't understand technology and the millions of baby boomers who are hanging around the workforce fill multiple positions that could be replaced with a single educated youth who actually understands how to use time saving technologies. The government and all it's civil services are riddled with them, I know in my department they could cut the number of employees in half just by getting rid of the useless old people.

• Greatest Generation? Only if mean the generation that cost the greatest amount!

The elderly sure have worked hard in their lifetimes. They did not have the comforts such as air conditioning, smart phones, or computers that we have today. However, the costs that they have now created for themselves and expect the younger generations to pay for it is inexcusable. They rely almost 100% on social security and medicare. They paid into it yes, but how much do you think they paid? In the 70's..The median pay for a high school teacher was 8 grand. SS contribution was 4%. A whopping 320 dollars was paid that year by people that receive 1220 a month!
    The average cost for a old person that lives to be 80 with medical expenses is $450,000. It costs less to raise a child to 18 that it costs to keep an old person alive from 65 to 80. Do I want to live to be 80? Of course! But I will fully pay for my old age myself through hard work, saving, and investing...The American dream. Not whining and wanting more "entitlements". Not wanting a senior citizen discount. Not expecting people to wait on me and treat me different. When the "greatest generation" is gone...So will massive amounts of debt.

• Yes they are

They cost money, most of them don't have a big income thus not paying a lot of taxes, they withraw money from public pension plans (in country that posess public pension plans), etc.

Also, their "knowledge" is next to useless since most of them don't share their useful knowledge to younger generations.

• It is not just the elderly

Elderly people done get more from social security than they pay in, but that is just part of the problem. There is also the problem with people on disability. How is this counrty going to pay for the elderly on social security and the people on disability. If everyone stops working just because they do not fell well there is no money being payed in to it. The system needs fixed.

• Yes they are..

The elderly are pretty reliant on Social Security, Medicare, and income based housing. Meanwhile it is the younger generations paying for it. "They paid into it''? No, its not a savings account. They paid for their grandparents generation, and paid much less than they are now receiving. The younger generation is paying for the elderly's cost of living now. So in short, that young family is losing money that would be food for their toddler in order to keep some one who is 90 in comfort. I'm not saying to euthanize the elderly or throw them out onto the streets. However the family who either are, or will grow up to be productive members of society shouldnt lose out, in order to pay for those whose time is done and being artificially extended at cost to taxpayers.

• Absolutely not, the Elderly belongs in society.

The elderly have been through it all, seen it all and meant so much to our young lives. Speaking as a young 26 year old, I've only survived big problems in my life as well as gave me a lot of great advice to use in everyday life. I hope that I'm that honorable and wise when I'm older.

• No, the elderly have contributed much to society.

Members of the elderly community already contributed much to society during their prior working years. They contributed to taxes and put in money towards social security to stimulate the economy.
    At some point everyone grows older and it is the current generation's responsibility to contribute towards the care of the previous one. The elderly still make contributions to society even though they aren't as noticeable as the achievements of younger citizens.

• No, the elderly are not a burden on society.

If anything, the elderly are a great wealth to us. They possess a great deal of old world knowledge, and a level of expertise unknown to the younger generation. They posses the knowledge from real-life experiences, situations and customs that can help lay the path in an effort to maintain honorable values within our current culture. On another note, the elderly population once took care of us, and did not consider it a burden.

• It is their evening time let them live it

Cheers to all those who are in support of our Elderslie! Probably those who are against them think that they won't enter through age of decline where they themselves would be requiring someone to pull them up. The age is truly delicate&weak and what is required is support love and care. It's a shame on those who think such a rubbish . The elderly are the revered heads of the society guiding us all through . They are foolish who spend millions to keep relics at their home not realising the fact that that our real heritage is our elderly population . Their presence is compared with God's presence and our positing is in their feet

• No, that's ridiculous.

Basically any class of people besides employed taxpayers can be called a "burden on society". They pay taxes just like everybody else. Obviously old people offer less to society than the young working/middle class. I think it really all depends on what you call a "burden". I'm cool with a few bucks a year to assure that 78 year old guy can get generate money to feed himself and own a walker and have a few bucks to not die broke and miserable.

• Jhysdfuv hjsdfjb jhasrgj

Jdhr hh h fh h h fwkjer h h h h ggggggggggggj j j jrkjq wej jhfjhb1jb jbqejrkfhu hquwhejrq kqwkehfruhw iuha eiuhqwkeuhr ihqk jrr r r rr r r r t y g g g f f r g g g r r t g r r t t r r ff r r

• They were there first

If the elderlies werent there at first, then we wont be here. It is important that we look back to see where we came from. They set a foundation for us which brought us here now. One day, we will become like them, old and weak. Think of how you want the youngsters to treat you and treat the elderly so! :))

• They deserve respect

Like all of us. However, I don't advocate doctors drugging dementia patients to keep them "propped up," alive. Let them take their natural cause, but medicate pain. Also, other diseases should not be aggressively treated unless the person is healthy otherwise. It's immoral how pharmaceutical companies drug everyone just to make a buck. Let people, old or young, die with dignity.

• They are our role models

........Old people will never be a burden to the society because they are full of experiences. We have seen that they are the ones who guide us in our ups and downs. They give us moral support in times of need. Have you ever noticed they it is your grandmother who never keeps you hungry? So if you say that they are a burden remember her. They are the ones who inculcate in us the qualities of self faith, confidence, respect,patience, dedication , focusing on ones goal and so much more. The list is endless. So, I don't think they are a burden but surely they areBKESSING

• Elderly show us what's right

If it weren't for elderly then young people wouldn't know what to do today people as old as 30 have parents in there 60s or 70s that still help in there kids life therefore elderly people are needed in the society today to show people what's wrong and what's right therefore people are going to have to deal with it.