• Especially on our healthcare system

It's difficult to understand how it can be justified spending thousands of dollars on keeping people alive who don't have a chance to get better. They cost our healthcare system far more than any other age group put together. And many people who ever really worked will get more of a pension than I ever will.

• Yes the elderly and chronically very ill ARE a burden to society

Im not talking about older people that are still active and contributing in some way like taking care of grandchildren and giving of useful information that people actually want. I'm talking about elderly people (or even those in their 50s and 60's who act like it) that babble on and on making stories bigger and bigger when no one wants to listen, telling them again and again. They cant listen because they cant hear what your saying, they need a round the clock sitter so they don't hurt themselves by falling OUT of their costly government paid scooter, need someone to feed, change and bathe them, demanding that it be done in style without so much as a thank you many times. Elderly who needed that much care used to die of disease before they became useless, but with the advent of modern medicine, they stay alive on respirators and tubefeeding. When young people want to know what happenedin1920 they need not listen to an elderly persons tainted veiw but instead can get it from online sources or google. So really, what good are those kind of elderly?

• The elderly need to go.

The elderly put an economic drain on society. Medical costs and a growing number of pensioners are creating an unsustainable system. Yet, when they don't retire and become pensioners they are useless in the workforce. They don't understand technology and the millions of baby boomers who are hanging around the workforce fill multiple positions that could be replaced with a single educated youth who actually understands how to use time saving technologies. The government and all it's civil services are riddled with them, I know in my department they could cut the number of employees in half just by getting rid of the useless old people.

• What do they do?

Very little add anything to society and most drain it and take it's resources. Some do not even know their children's names there should be a mandatory test for people past a certain age to see if they are still capable of basic tasks such as memory tests and mobility if they fail then they should be euthanized.

• Greatest Generation? Only if mean the generation that cost the greatest amount!

The elderly sure have worked hard in their lifetimes. They did not have the comforts such as air conditioning, smart phones, or computers that we have today. However, the costs that they have now created for themselves and expect the younger generations to pay for it is inexcusable. They rely almost 100% on social security and medicare. They paid into it yes, but how much do you think they paid? In the 70's..The median pay for a high school teacher was 8 grand. SS contribution was 4%. A whopping 320 dollars was paid that year by people that receive 1220 a month!
    The average cost for a old person that lives to be 80 with medical expenses is $450,000. It costs less to raise a child to 18 that it costs to keep an old person alive from 65 to 80. Do I want to live to be 80? Of course! But I will fully pay for my old age myself through hard work, saving, and investing...The American dream. Not whining and wanting more "entitlements". Not wanting a senior citizen discount. Not expecting people to wait on me and treat me different. When the "greatest generation" is gone...So will massive amounts of debt.

• Yes they are

They cost money, most of them don't have a big income thus not paying a lot of taxes, they withraw money from public pension plans (in country that posess public pension plans), etc.

Also, their "knowledge" is next to useless since most of them don't share their useful knowledge to younger generations.

• They are definitely a burden to us.

Some may argue that without them we might not get to where we are now, however from a critical and unbiased Point of view, the elderly have put it bluntly , little to no use for society. Most of them elderly we are talking about are either retired or are in active and them Being physically and mentally more frail than their younger human counterparts is also a disadvantage as they make very little contribution to society such as economically. Furthurmore healthxare policies must be implemented to benefit the elderly, therefore tax payers money are taken to give them who are of little significanxe ro our society.

• Elderly ain't nothing but trouble...

The elderly are a burden on society. Financially they are a huge drain making up half the benefit bill on their own, even though they would prefer you to blame the single mums and immigrants.
    They wander around clogging up the pavements whilst striking up mindless conversation with cash machines and trying to argue with self service checkouts.
    I propose that there should be an OAP curfew imposed, allowing them loose on the streets between the hours of 12 and 2pm on a Wednesday. Also that they should have their own checkouts and cash machines (with extra large buttons) so that the rest of us can get on with working hard in order to pax tax so that they may claim a pension and cold weather payments. This is all....

• Yes, the elderly is a burden to our society.

Many may argue that the elderly has contributed significantly to our society in their past days or they provide us with financial security, emotional support for example. However, they do not contribute much to our society in terms of economic support. They demand extra assistance, extra medical care and so on. Moreover, they cant help the country economically anymore due to their old age. For instance, in Singapore , we are facing an ageing population.How is that not a burden? The elderly cant contribute themselves anymore, in addition, they seek additional help.#no offence #personal view

• Yes they are.

As much as it hurts me to say this, the elderly in this country really are nothing but a burden that are dragging us down. They do not really offer much to the nation, and instead take everything they can in terms of health care, medicine, social security, and so on.

• Absolutely not, the Elderly belongs in society.

The elderly have been through it all, seen it all and meant so much to our young lives. Speaking as a young 26 year old, I've only survived big problems in my life as well as gave me a lot of great advice to use in everyday life. I hope that I'm that honorable and wise when I'm older.

• No, the elderly have contributed much to society.

Members of the elderly community already contributed much to society during their prior working years. They contributed to taxes and put in money towards social security to stimulate the economy.
    At some point everyone grows older and it is the current generation's responsibility to contribute towards the care of the previous one. The elderly still make contributions to society even though they aren't as noticeable as the achievements of younger citizens.

• No, the elderly are not a burden on society.

If anything, the elderly are a great wealth to us. They possess a great deal of old world knowledge, and a level of expertise unknown to the younger generation. They posses the knowledge from real-life experiences, situations and customs that can help lay the path in an effort to maintain honorable values within our current culture. On another note, the elderly population once took care of us, and did not consider it a burden.

• The elderly are full of wisdom, and are greatly underappreciated

Some of the statements I have read saying they are a burden to society are completely ridiculous. Yes, financially it is costly to support the elderly, but what is the alternative for those that can't support themselves? We will all be in that situation one day, and perhaps you will have a different opinion on it then. But the statements that say they offer nothing to society is just a ridiculous generalisation. The elderly hold a wealth of knowledge built over a length of time that no one youthful has attained yet. Many of them have academic and prestigious backgrounds which is equally as useful as someone who has one in their twenties today. Perhaps if our society gave them a chance to contribute and spent a little more time listening we would realise how much they really have to offer. Reading peoples answers for why they're a 'burden' is extremely disheartening, and I can only feel sorry for the people giving those opinions for being so close minded and ignorant.

• Nope elderly should not be seen as a burden

It will be your turn soon. If you consider them as a burden after all they have done for the younger generation I don't know how to reason with you. After all they can still contribute to the society as they can give valuable advance to the youths because of their experiences

• They helped us get started

Older people took care of us when we were helpless and the holy Bible talks about us needing to respect and care for the elderly. The elderly have lots of wisdom from years gone by if we would only take the time to listen to what they have to say.

• Eldely is not burden to society

NO! They are not are burden.

People who say they are a burden are stupid. They are going to get old too and I'm pretty sure they don't want people to think they are a burden on society. Just because they have an illness or a disability does not mean that they are useless. We need more respect in our society today. Especially here in America.

• Eldely is not burden to society

NO! They are not are burden.

• NO! They are not are burden.

• Responsibility is ours......

I strongly believe it is better to take me parents to live with me. I prefer to see them every day and to have the opportunity to speck with them about my daily round. Everyone must think out, before to make a decision, but for the health of our parents, we must think over again.