• Especially on our healthcare system

It's difficult to understand how it can be justified spending thousands of dollars on keeping people alive who don't have a chance to get better. They cost our healthcare system far more than any other age group put together. And many people who ever really worked will get more of a pension than I ever will.

• Elderly ain't nothing but trouble...

The elderly are a burden on society. Financially they are a huge drain making up half the benefit bill on their own, even though they would prefer you to blame the single mums and immigrants.
    They wander around clogging up the pavements whilst striking up mindless conversation with cash machines and trying to argue with self service checkouts.
    I propose that there should be an OAP curfew imposed, allowing them loose on the streets between the hours of 12 and 2pm on a Wednesday. Also that they should have their own checkouts and cash machines (with extra large buttons) so that the rest of us can get on with working hard in order to pax tax so that they may claim a pension and cold weather payments. This is all....

• Social security and health care

Old people do nothing and expect everything in return. They complain about minor things and cause serious problems to the younger generation. The cost of maintaining them should not be the problem of the younger generation. Older people should maintain themselves or have their children maintain their needs, not other people or society.

• The elderly need to go.

The elderly put an economic drain on society. Medical costs and a growing number of pensioners are creating an unsustainable system. Yet, when they don't retire and become pensioners they are useless in the workforce. They don't understand technology and the millions of baby boomers who are hanging around the workforce fill multiple positions that could be replaced with a single educated youth who actually understands how to use time saving technologies. The government and all it's civil services are riddled with them, I know in my department they could cut the number of employees in half just by getting rid of the useless old people.

• What do they do?

Very little add anything to society and most drain it and take it's resources. Some do not even know their children's names there should be a mandatory test for people past a certain age to see if they are still capable of basic tasks such as memory tests and mobility if they fail then they should be euthanized.

• Yes the elderly and chronically very ill ARE a burden to society

Im not talking about older people that are still active and contributing in some way like taking care of grandchildren and giving of useful information that people actually want. I'm talking about elderly people (or even those in their 50s and 60's who act like it) that babble on and on making stories bigger and bigger when no one wants to listen, telling them again and again. They cant listen because they cant hear what your saying, they need a round the clock sitter so they don't hurt themselves by falling OUT of their costly government paid scooter, need someone to feed, change and bathe them, demanding that it be done in style without so much as a thank you many times. Elderly who needed that much care used to die of disease before they became useless, but with the advent of modern medicine, they stay alive on respirators and tubefeeding. When young people want to know what happenedin1920 they need not listen to an elderly persons tainted veiw but instead can get it from online sources or google. So really, what good are those kind of elderly?

• It is not just the elderly

Elderly people done get more from social security than they pay in, but that is just part of the problem. There is also the problem with people on disability. How is this counrty going to pay for the elderly on social security and the people on disability. If everyone stops working just because they do not fell well there is no money being payed in to it. The system needs fixed.

• Yes they are..

The elderly are pretty reliant on Social Security, Medicare, and income based housing. Meanwhile it is the younger generations paying for it. "They paid into it''? No, its not a savings account. They paid for their grandparents generation, and paid much less than they are now receiving. The younger generation is paying for the elderly's cost of living now. So in short, that young family is losing money that would be food for their toddler in order to keep some one who is 90 in comfort. I'm not saying to euthanize the elderly or throw them out onto the streets. However the family who either are, or will grow up to be productive members of society shouldnt lose out, in order to pay for those whose time is done and being artificially extended at cost to taxpayers.

• Greatest Generation? Only if mean the generation that cost the greatest amount!

The elderly sure have worked hard in their lifetimes. They did not have the comforts such as air conditioning, smart phones, or computers that we have today. However, the costs that they have now created for themselves and expect the younger generations to pay for it is inexcusable. They rely almost 100% on social security and medicare. They paid into it yes, but how much do you think they paid? In the 70's..The median pay for a high school teacher was 8 grand. SS contribution was 4%. A whopping 320 dollars was paid that year by people that receive 1220 a month!
    The average cost for a old person that lives to be 80 with medical expenses is $450,000. It costs less to raise a child to 18 that it costs to keep an old person alive from 65 to 80. Do I want to live to be 80? Of course! But I will fully pay for my old age myself through hard work, saving, and investing...The American dream. Not whining and wanting more "entitlements". Not wanting a senior citizen discount. Not expecting people to wait on me and treat me different. When the "greatest generation" is gone...So will massive amounts of debt.

• Yes they are

They cost money, most of them don't have a big income thus not paying a lot of taxes, they withraw money from public pension plans (in country that posess public pension plans), etc.

Also, their "knowledge" is next to useless since most of them don't share their useful knowledge to younger generations.

• Absolutely not, the Elderly belongs in society.

The elderly have been through it all, seen it all and meant so much to our young lives. Speaking as a young 26 year old, I've only survived big problems in my life as well as gave me a lot of great advice to use in everyday life. I hope that I'm that honorable and wise when I'm older.

• No, the elderly have contributed much to society.

Members of the elderly community already contributed much to society during their prior working years. They contributed to taxes and put in money towards social security to stimulate the economy.
    At some point everyone grows older and it is the current generation's responsibility to contribute towards the care of the previous one. The elderly still make contributions to society even though they aren't as noticeable as the achievements of younger citizens.

• No, the elderly are not a burden on society.

If anything, the elderly are a great wealth to us. They possess a great deal of old world knowledge, and a level of expertise unknown to the younger generation. They posses the knowledge from real-life experiences, situations and customs that can help lay the path in an effort to maintain honorable values within our current culture. On another note, the elderly population once took care of us, and did not consider it a burden.

• Not those who were contributors to society in working careers.

Society depends on those who contribute to the betterment of society. Examples are law abiding, tax paying, socially supporting through charity or volunteering etc. We all know we pay more than seems fair in our great country. Careers last 35 to 50 years. Some portion of you tax goes towards your years of rest or retirement. If during your life you participated in crime for example, you were a burden on society. The old saying those folks who did their time paid their debt to society is a full blown lie. Those people sucked taxes out of society. They were kept by society to be rehabilitated to become a contributing member of society. Those who are able bodied and mentally sound who choose to ride the system are burdens on society. Those who comet serious crime like murder or sell drugs or or cheat on their taxes are the ones who in their years of rest who should be expected to pay their way. If you don't contribute you pay. Everybody is entitled to their fair share through their life. If their is a tax benefit they are entitled to the yes take it. If you believe you are or should be entitled to it and lie to take it when you are not entitled to it then your are sucking from society. Those who live a life of crime always seems to be able to justify the lifestyle by saying "I worked for it" or " I was entitled to it" I just got caught...Are the true burdens on society. Bring back Capital punishment. Increase the severity of thos crimes that suck funds from society to that of capital punishment. Then see how society can support those past contributors of society.

• No, they are not a burden to society.

My grandma is in her 80s she never worked a day in her life but she helps feed the family, prepared their food every day for work, school and cleans the house, helps out the neighbours, my family can work hard for tax money because of her contribution to us all.

• No, they are not a burden to society.

• No, they are not a burden to society.

• Where would we be now if it weren't for the people before us?

The way we live today has been engineered by the people who came before us, including technology. These people may have changed their outlook on society and how they contribute because of it. In some cases, (because of their contributions to society), now carry illnesses that hopefully will not be inflicted on us younger people. Why because their experiences contribute to the better knowledge on how to live better. Now, the majority of the older generation contribute to society through volunteering to family, friends or community services. Don't forget, every day you will be older; any day, you may find yourself ill or in cognitive decline. Youth is no security to either. One difference though, what did or what can that youth contribute to society. How much of a drain to the purse will that person be - perhaps we should measure the worth of that person by the amount of taxes paid and future expenditure to us all.

Thank God, for compassion.

• The elders of my life are all truly more than the role models that I need, They are my hope as well.

Every time I've been hurt, bullied, or just plain sad, my grandmother was there to support me. She always showed me there was more to life than just rushing around. She always said, " Stop and smell the roses, unless they're on the highway." I was always encouraged by her to just be.

• They are perfectly fine

There not...At one point every one grows old and becomes weak(but not all) and not able to do stuff that well or fast but that doesn't mean they are useless and cant do anything anymore... Yeah they do watch T.V a lot but that don't mean they cant do anything there are some elders that run marathons and are strong there are old but don't mean they are going to give up on their self and not want to do anything anymore just because they feel weak.