Are the Hunger Games (books & movies) extremely overrated?

Asked by: Williwenba
  • Seriously, society? You like this?

The Hunger Games can be summed up in three words: violence, death, and politics. That's all there is to the books and the movies. I simply don't understand how anyone could find it interesting. We have enough of all of that stuff in the real world to have to worry about all of it in a book. Yet again, I have been let down by society.

• Bland Main Character

In my opinion one thing people don't seem to notice is how bland Katniss is. Other than being a strong female lead, which I have nothing against, she is rather unoriginal. She is clearly meant to be somewhat of a self-insert for the reader. Her morals are normal, and her personality is a standard rebellious, independent person. It may be a matter of taste, but I prefer a lead that is unusual and original.

• This> is> crap

The only reason I can't completely bash it is for the loyalty to Alexander Ludwig, the only some-what realistic character in the whole stupid thing.
    What's sucks most about it is hardly anyone can write a novel without people comparing to THG. EVERYTHING in the sci-fi genre is compared to it. The worst part is THG is already an unoriginal, probably written, over the top and ridiculously cheesy book with nothing realistic driving it, anyways. Nothing really makes sense. Cato or Thresh most likely would've won. Get over it.

• Can't compare to classics

I've heard people call this the next harry potter. I absolutely do not agree with this. While it's certainly enjoyable, I could find many plot holes in it. First of all it's a rip off of battle royale. I feel that most of the action was just there to keep it going and it didn't really have a purpose. Hunger Games certainly good. But not great.

• It is decidedly so.

The Hunger Games are literally the most nonsensical series of books of all time. You can tell this society has all sorts of major technological innovations, but instead of FEEDING THEIR STARVING CITIZENS, they force them into an arena and broadcast it on free cable. Genius. Harry Potter for the win!

• It's a Battle Royal Rip off

Of course it is. The Hunger Game does to Battle Royal what Twilight does to Vampires. People want mindless violence not a nonsensical political system with a crappy faux love story with a little bit of killing on top. I mean if it's so obvious everyone hates the games why is everyone going along with it???

• There's no value to it:

It is receiving a lot of praise for the themes contained within but it is a rather poorly told story based less around the themes of concepts like humanity and more relative to keeping a reader engrossed with an active conflict that encompasses the world of Katpiss. It's actually less of a dystopian overview and more of some ridiculous "coming of age" story combined with a cheesy freedom fighter concept if freedom fighters were angsty (and poorly educated) teenagers.

• They are a compelling way to convey the need for sustainability to children and teens

The world experiences the rise of the gilded class every century or so. As it is now, it was also in the 1920s, leading into the Great Depression.

We have an even greater wealth disparity today, and that will culminate in social revolution within the century. We will likely see famine, and starvation as populations hit a critical density toward the end of the 21st century.

The Hunger Games is a vision of the future from that perspective.

It champions a message that elitism and dehumanization of the poor creates an exploitative society and a classist culture.