Are the three main monotheistic religions a force for good

Asked by: hect
  • I feel like being the battered wife

Do you ever sit at home, wondering when your husband is going to come a beat the crap out of you. I feel this way with these religions. There is a lot I don't like about them, but at the end of the day there is bread on the table. What I mean is, yeah they're mean and they do awful things and I would rather be with someone else (actually I am happily wedded to another--if you follow my drift), but they are there for you if you need a new grindstone or (modernly) a new TV. Plus they bring in their best friend who tells you about your Lord and Savior Jesus, who is a little annoying (the friend, not Jesus), but is always kind and friendly. But there is that one thing, that despite themselves, they are good about--they are rich because their father made good business deals, so we respect them for all they have done. Anyways, if you are married to one of these jerks, you praise them for their presents on their birthday and you are just glad you're not married to the one who cut off his wife's favorite spot on the favorite of her body.

• Yes, but not all of them

While Christianity and Judaism have truly benefited our society by giving people hope, a set of standards, a life worth living, and a God who truly loves them, Islam does not share these gifts. As a student in theology who has a father who has studied theology for 40 years, I can tell you that Muslims do not feel peace or love from their God, and as we have seen in the world, they think that they must commit haneous

• We're not going to settle this debate here guys.

It's been a question for hundreds of years. I'm just going to say yes, those who say no are wrong. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(I'm using up my 50 words)

• No, I do not think so.

Firstly, there are more than three monotheistic religions, there are just three Abrahamic religions (not including the Baha'i faith). These three main religions have been causing wars since their origination and since most of the population of the world is monotheistic, they are enforcing their ideologies and beliefs onto people who are not monotheistic, or theistic at all. They also have many radical ideas which are still being observed to this modern day and age, let's find the "cure" for this "disease".

• No, I do not think so.

• First of all they contradict each other and there are more than 3 of them.

That being said if allah is god then the father son and holy spirit dont exist. They cannot be the same god. Its insane to say that they are a force of god just because they say there is one god. Not to mention these religions and others are the principal enemy of moral progress in the world. So even if they could be the same god they arent real because real perfect gods would have to educate us so that we can be held accountable for our actions. If he does not teach us right and wrong then there is no denying that god is responsible for evil and everything you think is wrong is considered righteousness by other people in another time or place. So obviously we dont know right from wrong. There are two kinds of precepts. Those that have a basis only in religious creed and those that have a basis in social utility. And its obvious that so many of the rules have no basis in social utility and actually make people behave in a way that is socially undesirable like owning slaves torturing people for their beliefs etc. i say this because nobody wants others to enslave them or torture them for their beliefs. Its like theft. No one wants to live in a world where everybody steals. Thats not good for anyone. Even the thieves ideal place to live is somewhere where nobody steals. So if you dont want others to steal from you shouldnt steal from others because if everybody decided to steal the world would be a horrible place. You gotta do your part to make it a good world otherwise you dont deserve to live in the good world because your not doing your part. So rules are good. Without them there would be kaos. I think its ridiculous to want to live in a world where nobody tries to do the right thing with no rules. And about these religions.... Most people say that without religion we could not have a sufficient modicum of moral rules. But its obvious that people do good because of earthly punishments and i say that because in places that are having gold rushes and in other chaotic situations everybody steals and stuff. So its tough to argue that without religion people wouldnt be good because we all want the same basic things. To not be stolen from. To not be killed or raped or tortured etc. so we have to do our part otherwise we deserve what we do to others.

• The evil deeds far out way the good deeds

Religion has often been a tool to encourage bigotry, racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia ect. It encourages poverty and dulls critical thinking by teaching that blind unquestioning faith is a virtue which in itself creates a breeding ground for fundamentalism. It is has been responsible for war, torture, mutilation, protecting pedophiles and many other unspeakable atrocities.

Posted by: hect

Vox_Veritas says2014-12-10T02:29:08.317
Just the answer that one would expect on atheist central, er, um, I mean, Debate.Org.
Conservative101 says2014-12-10T05:08:50.393
I know right. Anyone who knows a bit about religion knows that it is there to promote goodness, peace, and happiness all around.