Are there risks to taking lower paid jobs that don't exemplify your skills while waiting for a better opportunity to come along?

• Once you agree to a low wage you've branded yourself

Once a worker has essentially told an employer, I will accept this, wage/position you've branded yourself as a lower class. Good luck convincing employers you're worth more per hour. An employee is more likely to hear the "work more pay less" or leave speech at least once in their career.

• How will you pay your bill?

You need to pay your bill you will get kicked out of your house. You should do what you are good at, not what you love. What if you're not good at what you love? What if your dream job is boring? Think about it and say yes, a well paid job is better

• Yes, there are!

Mainly because you will end up struggling years together for the small move that you have taken. Appraisals and bonuses dont grow that easily in a full time job. And if it is something you hate and you choose to quit; there is no way that you can change the job to a high paying one. This panicked move can get you in a spot of no return. Think before you take big life decisions. Work part-time or freelance a bit.

• It depends on how you position it.

Like all shoppers, employers are seeing bargains. They want someone amazing for less. So, if they see you have worked at a lower paying job, they will think they can get you for a minimal increase over your current salary. However, one advantage of a lower paying job is that it may have less demand on your time and have less pressure. So, you can afford to do things on the side. In any case, keep building your network, keep learning, workout, build your confidence and dress for success. Opportunities will come your way eventually. But, make sure you leave even a low paying job on good terms because you might need them for a reference.

• Yes, but the risks outweigh the consequences of not taking that job

I just took one myself about two months ago. My resume looks much better because some of the new skills I learned, plus I am able to stress technical tasks that do relate to what I want to do. Unfortunately I have little energy to put into sending out resumes for jobs I want and absolutely no time to followup on applications during business hours. So I guess you could say I am kind of trapped because of it. I beats being broke and jobless though! And who knows. Maybe my company will start giving me more skilled tasks soon.

• Do not move backwards, but forward with confidence.

If you have a Bachelors or Masters in Business would you take a job as a cash register clerk at a store or work as a temporary volunteer as a program assistant? Whatever unpaid or paid positions you are getting make sure it a job that will help you to grow in knowledge and skills rather than dumbing you down. A person with a business degree should consider working as a volunteer program assistant in order to develop his or her skills in business, rather than taking a position as a clerk that won't aid much or at all in the career development process.

People say it's better to have a menial job than no job, but why waste your valuable time when you can do other productive things like actively searching for jobs, networking, or do a certificate program or class? Do not move backwards, but always forward, because if you keep your standards low then you get less.

• Education should not be wasted on a menial job.

When anyone states to an educated person it is best to take a menial job it belittles all the money, time, and effort the person spent on getting an education. They gave up two, four, six or more years of their life to earn their degree. Education should never be wasted on a menial job. High level jobs were the hardest hit in this recession. The US lost 8.8 million jobs and has only recovered only 4 million. Of the 8.8 million lost, 40% were high wage jobs of which only 14% have been recovered. What we need is a healthy recovery in high wage jobs.

• Taking a job with lower pay creates a stigma that you are not worth a higher salary.

If you are looking for higher wage employment with a lower wage job that does not exemplify your skills, then it creates two issues. First, it doesn't show that you are qualified for a higher paying position. Second, since you are working for less, it puts doubt in the future employer's mind as to why you are worth that much.

Posted by: SoWinif
  • It is difficult to create an accurate resume when listing lower paying jobs in your work history.

Employers wonder why you have settled for jobs with less pay when they read your resume. They doubt your ambition and determination to succeed. It becomes more difficult to return to your former profession and pay scale after settling for less. Lower paid jobs do not exemplify for your skills.

Posted by: WideHung32
  • There are risks, including lower potential unemployment payments, but the risks may be worth it.

Taking a lower-paying job while waiting for another, better job risks resetting the expected salary employers at the dream job would offer. It also lowers the unemployment benefits offered if that job is lost. However, a lower-paying job is better than no job, going into debt, or sliding into poverty. The risk of lower pay in the future is often acceptable, because it is offset by no money now. And long term unemployment can cause degradation of skills or undesirability by employers that is more severe than working below your pay grade.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Work Life Balance

We all want success but dont always really know what 'success' looks like. Success seems to equate to many as high salaries, however high salaries often come with an expectation of extremely long hours, weekend working , working at home after your days work. You sell your soul! Quality of life often goes out of the window. You should work to live not live to work

• You gotta eat

If you are continuing your search consistently and are clear that the low paying job is a temporary deal, especially for those at higher incomes, it really isn't a big deal. Most hiring managers do ask your current salary to which you respond, on average I have made. It doesn't have to be the temporary job salary unless they specifically ask about THAT job. Those employers who undercut employees will get used to being used as temp work or loosen their purse strings, but when it comes down to it, you gotta eat.

• Not everyone that has a higher mental capacity wants a challenging job

Not to toot my own horn but I believe mentally I am above my job. However your job DOES NOT have to define you. In my personal belief a job is a means to an end. Not the end itself. Now I'm not saying I hate my job I'm saying I don't let it define me. So what if I have a menial job. The more important thing is I don't have a career. The activities I do define me not how much I make, what I look like or how I keep myself fed. Sure I don't make over $30k a year and probably never will but at least I can hold my head up high saying I am not my job. Have fun sheeple.

• Good for your characterr

Better than having no job at all, doing something even for minimum wage is better than borrowing money for survival of your family....And downshifting is a small price to pay for better life and work balance. It is up to every individual....No hard and fast rules....Whatever makes you happy is the best way fwd....Just follow your heart....

• The risk is when you have nothing to do.

Having nothing to do (due to being unemployed) will lead us to being unproductive since we are lacking motivation or challenge as we would normally have when we are employed--no matter how easy or menial the job is. In addition, being unemployed is also one of the common similarities among the criminals.

Posted by: ald
  • Honest work is honest work and, sometimes, you have to take a lower paying job.

If you can manage to not take a job, then go for it. The problem isn't taking a lower paying job, while waiting for another good opportunity to come along. The problem is getting a low paying job. You almost have to lie and say you aren't as educated as you are. People need to feed their kids and family, and if potential employers can't recognize that, and most don't, I know our world has gone mad, which it has.

Posted by: PointlessElbert47
  • Yes, because it is better to have some sort of job than none.

The currently unemployed face complete shut out by many businesses under the mistaken belief that, if you have no job now, you must not be a good worker. That is, there is a reason you are unemployed, so why should they hire you? Therefore, having any job, even one well below your level, skills or education, proves that you can work with others and with customers and, therefore, you are a good candidate for hire.

Posted by: NimbleGreg
  • There are no risks to taking a lower paying job that doesn't exemplify your skills because, in this economy, any job is better than no job.

In this economy, there are no risks to taking a lower paying job that doesn't exemplify your skills. The current attitude is: you can't get a job, unless you have a job. The extended unemployment benefits have encouraged people to not work, so, employers are looking for motivated employees. In Michigan, a laid off employee can earn 49% of their unemployment benefit, without losing any benefits. A laid off employee earning 50% to 99% of their benefit only forfeits 50% of their benefit. A laid off employee drawing $300 per week can work 40 hours at minimum wage, earning $290 and still receive $150 in unemployment benefits. Would you rather hire a person who has drawn $300 a week for 99 weeks, or a person who has worked for minimum wage for 99 weeks while looking for a job?

Posted by: JamieM
  • Taking a lower paying job that doesn't exemplify your skills can make it appear to employers that you are not competent in those skills.

Taking a lower paying job that does not cater to a worker's specific skill set is dangerous as it makes it appear to prospective employers that the worker may not be competent in those skills. Prospect employers see that the worker is not utilizing their skill set and thus might believe they weren't very good at those skills and that's why they had to take a lower paying job or that they never really had those skills to begin with.

Posted by: J Snyder
  • In this economy, I feel it is best to take whatever work is available even if you are overqualified.

Due to the current unemployment rate, there is no downside to doing whatever work is available even if you are overqualified. Usually these kind of job can be quit immediately so when a better position comes along, dump the first job and take the second one. There is no risk to doing this.

Posted by: KIemeP3nguin