Are there special circumstances when lying is the right thing to do?

• I Totally Agree

Lying is something that has to be done depending on the situation. Everyone lies or has lied. So what is the big deal about lying. I don't understand how people can say "Lying is never the right thing," because everyone lies ! I lie, you Lie, we all lie!

• Yes, unfortunately, there are times when you have to lie to do the right thing.

I do not condone lying, but there are times when a white lie is needed to get by. Working as a street medic, there are times when I have to tell a critical patient that they are OK and going to be alright to try and institute some sort of hope in them to keep going. Although I know it is wrong to do sometimes, I feel as though I have to give them something to hold on to, so that they don't throw themselves down the well.

Posted by: WillowsErv
  • Yes, if a lie preserves someone's feelings, or protects someone from harm, it is the right thing to do.

It is morally acceptable to lie when a falsehood protects someone from physical or emotional harm. Moreover, little white lies are socially accepted when they do no harm. For instance, telling a child that their drawing is nice or that their story is clever, or telling new parents that their baby is the cutest ever are both examples of this.

Posted by: Th4Fire
  • Sometimes lying is the right thing to do.

I believe lying is sometimes the right thing to do. This is because I hate my mother. Not a minor dislike, a burning, fiery, passionate hatred. She is also severely mentally ill. Telling her I hated her would make this worse; so I lie. Telling the truth would cause far more harm than good and lying only hurts me, in this case. If there is one example where lying is the better thing to do, then I believe there are more. I feel that when the truth gains no-one and the lie benefits people - so long as it is a little thing - lying can be ok.

Posted by: DuaneAir
  • If lying is the only way to put a murderer in jail than it is the right thing to do.

I believe that if lying protects the greater good of the people than it is worth lying for. For example, politicians have a need to lie for the greater good of the people because sometimes the people can not handle the truth as well as other could. As a movie once stated, "you want the truth? You can handle the truth!" There for there are certain reasons why lying would be justified.

Posted by: GeoCrayon
  • A lie of omission can be appropriate if protects someone from hurtful circumstances that cannot be changed.

For example, it might be appropriate for someone who has had an affair to keep that information to him/herself if telling would only hurt the partner.
    Sometimes such information is only shared to relieve the teller, rather than to benefit the hearer. Sometimes it is kinder to keep things to oneself.

Posted by: laceylynn42
  • Yes, I believe there are certain circumstances when lying is the right thing to do.

There are some situations where morally lying is a more appropriate thing to do. A blanket of all lying is bad cannot possibly be considered.

Posted by: Ch4ddMc
  • There might be several circumstances and situations when lying does rescue a precarious situation. It can help someone in distress and save someone's marriage or even someone's life. Only in such situations can lying escape as a 'good thing to do.'

Though lying can never be termed as a good way to escape, there might be situations in one's life when one has to resort to lying to rescue a precarious situation. If lying serves to save a friend's marriage, a colleague's job or even someone's life, one might as well lie and ask for divine pardon. There have been quite a few occasions when I have lied to save my friends from shaky positions. However, it is a sin to lie when it is to cover up for someone's wrongdoings!

Posted by: SmarterTabby
  • There are various special circumstances where lying is the right thing to do.

There are many cases where lying would be the correct thing to do, namely when withholding or altering the truth would be more beneficial than being honest. The simplest case is that of a "white lie"; for example, giving a positive opinion that does not truly reflect your feelings to save someone's feelings from being hurt.

Posted by: TrueDomin
  • In some circumstances, lying is the best and only way not to hurt someone's feeling.

When someone asks you if they look good in an outfit or if you like their new haircut and your answer is really not what they wanted to hear, you might want to consider telling a white lie. It doesn't hurt to fib in these sort of times because the truth could really hurt someone's feelings, while a lie is something that will help the situation, and they will never know the difference.

Posted by: B3rkIffy
  • Lying is NEVER Okay

I understand the arguments made in favor of occasional lying, but lying is still a form of disrespect. Even if you have good intentions, you are still showing no respect by lying. For example, if someone asks if they re prettier than another person, don't lie. Say something wise such as "Don't compare yourself to others. Everyone is beautiful." I know is sounds cliche, but at least you are no lying and showing no respect for that person.

• I disagree that there are special circumstances when lying is the right things to do because deception is hurtful, no matter what the reason.

If a person gets himself into a spot where he feels lying is his only way out then he needs to come clean with the truth, take his lumps and learn from his mistakes. Otherwise he needs to keep his mouth shut and hope nobody asks him questions he will feel like lying about. Lying is morally wrong, it destroys one's credibility when the lie is found out and it is demeaning to the person/people being lied to. Man up and accept the consequences.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • Is STEALING ever right?

Most of us wouldn't go and say that you can steal when you need [the money]. We don't usually say stealing is allowed, and even correct, if the owner has too much [money], or you are stealing for a person who is helplessly poor. So why would lying ever be acceptable?
    Lying is stealing relationships, trust and self-confidence. It inflicts pain and can place the giver and receiver in bad situations. And even a small lie can get us tangled and leads on; it can easily cause a 'career' out of lying.
    Let us say it is okay to lie when we are protecting a person from harm, for example telling someone you love them when you hate them. This too, however, is not acceptable- by keeping such a thing away from the person, if you think about it, causes more harm. How would you feel if you found out the person you really want to be best friends with, and had even started to accept you a little, really detests you heartily? Shattering! And people do find out- you can't hide such feeling for an extended period of time.
    Let us call upon each other to do what is right and prevent pain. Never lie, nor cheat nor deceive. We shall not let society loose it morals. Stand up, brave friends, and choose to make a difference by teaching and practicing the importance of no lies. Together, we can defeat evil!

• Is Telling the Truth Always the Right thing to do?

Telling the truth is always the right thing to do. People lie for different reasons. Some lie to avoid facing the consequences of something they have done, or because it seems more convenient than telling the truth. Others lie in the hope of sparing someones feelings. No matter what the reason for lie, these people do not understand what the long term effect of their actions have on the person being lied to may be. When you lie you are damaging the trust between you and the person you are lying to. Although there are some exceptions, like if it is a personal matter. But lying can also create a false image about you, and ruin potential relationships.
    Telling the truth is important. It helps build strong relationships, but can also help damage a relationship. It ruins the trust that someone has in you and it is hard to regain trust. Some people may say that by keeping the truth from someone it will save them from getting hurt. But eventually they will find out and be hurt about what you have done. It is better if they find out sooner than later. By finding out about it, and the fact that you lied, can give them a reason not to trust you.
    There are exceptions to when you can lie and when it is not alright. Some exceptions may be like telling a kid about Santa Claus, Easter bunny, tooth fairy, and so on. It’s not particularly harmful because a child needs something to believe in and to have fun on religious holidays. Kids need some sort of fantasy. But other times, let’s say, when someone finds out a secret or something personal about you and confront you with it and you don’t want them to know, you could even just say to them that’s not true. Because personal stuff should just be kept to you.
    Lying can also cause loss of identity. Because if you meet a person and you decide to make up all this stuff about yourself to look ‘cool’ and decide to build more of a relationship with this person and the find out they aren’t going to think your that ‘cool’. Then that relationship is ruined, unless they can come to trust you, which not many people today can. Then that person will no longer know who you truly are.
    So in the end lying is not a good thing. It can break the trust in a relationship and create a false image about you. If you stick to telling the truth when it comes to small or important things, and keep to those exceptions, you shouldn’t have any problems.

• I think at no circumstance is lying justifiable.

When we lie to others we are disrespecting their feelings, so if we feel disrespected when someone isn’t honest with us, then how can we justify those little white lies and carefully crafted exaggerations?

If we expect other people to have the courage to be honest with us, then wouldn’t anything but honesty from us be promoting a double standard?

If we do things that require justification we are already doing something we aren't supposed to be doing. Making excuses may sooth our logical mind temporarily, but it doesn’t do anything for the internal conflict that is created. When we deliberately do something that violates our core ethics, it sets in motion a destructive emotional conflict. The end result will be the slow erosion of our core values or the manifestation of some self-sabotaging behavior. Either way, we lose!

• Telling a lie leads you to another lie!

In my opinion, telling a lie can lead you to another lie. By telling a lie, you waste parts of your brain's energy and destroy a section of your brain. As you know, any negative energy can affect on your personality and prestige. Destroyed brain is ready for another lie and even another crime. So, in my opinion, I strongly believe that telling the truth is the best policy in any situation.

• Never the right thing

Lying is the same as giving inaccurate information = wrong. Although telling the truth (= giving the right information) isn't always the most practical solution. Everyone lies once in a while, and it sure makes life easier to some extent. But it still doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.

• Lying is wrong no matter how you slice it. When you lie, you die morally little by little with each lie told. Additionally, you get out of taking responsibility morally for your actions or you impede others of taking responsibility for their actions. I

It is never morally right to lie. People are constantly try to get out of doing things, or saying things by lying and this never helps it only makes matters worst. It's better to be honest because people deserve to hear how you truly feel. Many people lie for personal gain, jealousy, etc, which is always wrong. If people practiced telling the truth perhaps this world would be a better place. There is so much deception in the world that people compromise their principals and lying is common place, which is very sad. We are imperfect beings but we can always practice living in the light. That's all God ask of us.

• It is very short sighted to lie to spare someone's feelings.

A lot of people think that it is okay to lie in order to spare another person's feelings, like when you give a person a compliment even if they don't deserve it. I will admit that if someone was completely honest all the time, that person would probably say things that I wouldn't want to hear. Most people (including myself) probably would get very hurt by some of those comments and the honest person would probably be very unpopular. However, if this honest person gave me a compliment, it would be a great feeling because I know he meant it, since he is always honest. The problem with people who give compliments all the time, whether they are lies or not, is that you would never know if the person who said it meant it or was just trying to spare your feelings. As a result their compliments would be worthless. However, a compliment from an honest person would be the greatest compliment in the world.

• Not at all.

"If we expect other people to have the courage to be honest with us, then wouldn’t anything but honesty from us be promoting a double standard?" I strongly believe that lying is not a good thing and even if you are in a really bad situation and need to lie, you shouldn't.

Anonymous says2013-09-15T04:23:37.160
It is acceptable some of the time