Are tickets from red light traffic cameras unfair?

• Yes. It violates the ninth amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

I can think of two reasons (note: there may be others):

1. “The enumeration in the Constitution of certain rights shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.”

If there is absolutely, positively, without a doubt no one remotely near a red light intersection (except for my vehicle when the light turns red, for no other reason than to turn red), why must I stop?

Thankfully, the ninth amendment states that I have a right to judge that situation and decide my own course of action, not the stoplight.

2. Running a red light is Mala prohibita, not Mala in se.

Not every crime is equal. Robbing a bank is a very different crime than violating a traffic rule. Though both are technically against the law, these crimes still fall into two very distinct categories.

Mala prohibita is a term applied to any action that is criminalized strictly by statute and statutory law (e.G. Running a red light).

Mala in se are actions that are deemed evil because of the nature of the action and are well recognized as crimes even if a person has not read the law (e.G. Robbing a bank).

You be the judge which is worse.

Oh, and for those who don’t agree: here’s a quarter, call someone who cares.

• Yes, I think tickets from red light traffic cameras are unfair.

Red light traffic cameras have always been controversial and often times the majority of tickets are thrown out in courts when someone decides to fight it, I believe overall the red light cameras are not providing the safety that they promise and likely give out unfair tickets on a regular basis.

• No, if you run the light, you deserve the ticket.

If you don't want to get a red light camera ticket, don't run any red lights. It's very easy to avoid those tickets, simply obey the traffic laws. The people complaining that they aren't fair, are typically the people thinking they can blow through a light because there's no cop in sight. They're a menace to everyone else on the road.

• I think it enforces

I do not think tickets from red light traffic cameras are "unfair". If you run a red light, you deserve to get a ticket. That does not mean you should be fined if you run a yellow light, though. I think the video should be highly reviewed and determined by the authorities.

• Only unfair to dishonest people.

Nope. There is nothing unfair about a ticket from a red light traffic camera. Most of the poutrage from people regarding those cameras is that they knew they were doing something illegal, and they thought they wouldn't be caught. If you're in public, you have no privacy and cameras can film you and catch you. Deal with it, follow the law or pay the price.