• Unions are lazy.

In my town of Decorah, Iowa, the tree service people are on the Union and they are to dang lazy to hold a stop sign! My dad is a trucker, and when he drives through town the tree branches are always hitting his truck and scratching it. And the tree service people won't do anything about it even when my dad called them about it. So that proves that the union is for democratic idiots and lazy people on welfare! So if you oppose me, you are an idiot!

• They try to tell you what the job is

I don't have union employees, but all the manufacturing plants in my city unionized and then shut down. There is a large number of former union employees in the labor pool. My business is designed to aggressively reward those who perform well. First, they act like you owe them something. If you don't have a job opening and they want a job, they have an attitude like you have to hire them. When you do hire one, it therefore doesn't come with the expectation of doing work. They were already entitled to the job.
    The idea of equality without merit is very prevalent. I've had them tell me I'm their equals. They shouldn't do anything I don't do myself. As the owner and manager.....
    They get upset when someone does more than the bare minimum. They try to get those employees to be lazy and if they don't, they will try to hurt the person's character. Raise before the work mentality. I had one decide I was asking too much for his position, which i wasn't, so for 1 position, he demoted himself and created a new set of job duties. When i wrote him up and subsequently fired him for not doing his job, he was furious. He told me what he was going to do afterall.
    I reprimanded one for not doing his job correctly, so he turned around and reported me to labor. Labor told him I'm not doing anything wrong, that infuriated him.
    There are a lot of rules and policies that aren't written anywhere. There is no need to given the work culture. Once they realize They can't tell you what to do, they will break every single one until you put it in writing, hoping to get unemployment. They once again feel entitled to that, and when you successfully block it, they'll do anything to hurt your reputation and try to put you out of business.

• Unions do nothing they claim

I'm a part-time, low-level supervisor at my company. Union employees make more than double what I do, and work half as hard.

1. One who reports to me neglects his work and then says he is getting more work than everyone else, when that is obviously not the case. His work area is a perpetual mess (which is also a safety hazard), and other employees are sick of cleaning up after him.

1.5. Another is a grown man who throws a toddler-level tantrum if he doesn't get to go home within the first hour of the shift. Other workers refer to him as "crybaby".

2. When I tell someone they are committing unsafe acts, there is a 90% chance they will cop an attitude and make excuses for it, instead of actually using the safety aides we provide. Hello? I thought unions were made to make workplaces safe! We move heaven and earth to keep them safe, and they get salty for it!

3. I was once training a new hire (who are not union eligible). WhIle helping him, a union employee was passing by and reprimanded me, saying I was "stealing work". Okay then! I'll play my fiddle while Rome burns!

• Across the Board Raises What a Joke

Unions support across the board raises for employees, not everyone deserves a raise. At my old job we got raises based on performance. Good Performance = yearly raises. They were good raises now I work for a company that has a union and my last raise more than 2 years ago was 1 percent I laughed why one percent because they had to give a raise to everyone even those who didn’t deserve it, so the company can’t afford to give good raises to people who do deserve it. I out work most of my fellow co workers and I get the same crapy raise as them. So it defiantly promotes laziness. It makes me think why should I be working so hard. I HATE UNIONS

• Across the Board Raises What a Joke

• Unions are a DISEASE

At my job we have a few guys who frequently disappear and never get sent home or fired. However, some guys HAVE been fired for being unsafe, calling in absent too much, etc. But they ALL get their job back eventually due to the union. These workers are a disease to the work environment. They bring down the morale of the hard workers, and some hard workers even crack and just say THE HELL WITH IT and either quit or work like a bum. And I don't fully blame them, why work hard if you can be a bum and get paid the same. However I am not that kind of person, I like to work hard and be valuable. It's a constant battle within myself to rise above what others are NOT doing.

• Unions Breed Mediocrity

• Managing union employess

I am the Operations Manager for my company and all of my employees are union. Unions make it impossible to fire people who do not even deserve to be in the work place to begin with. Every union I have encountered promotes and strives for doing the least amount of work without getting written up or fired. Before management I used to work in construction. You can spot the union employees immediately on every job site because they are the ones sitting on milk crates smoking cigarettes all day!!!

• I am forced to be part of the union where I work and I hate it!!

While the union takes my money each month to do absolutely nothing for my division, they also actively protect lazy and sick time abusing losers. I used to not have to be in a union and when someone didn't pull their weight, they were fired. That is how it should be but it is not that way with unions. They started out as a noble thing but now they are useless. All the union reps are selfish and only ask for what helps them personally. The head of the union is a joke who has deal with the city to basically screw us and pretend he fought for our contract. Funny though since the contract is worse with each passing one. The union will step up though and help out a lazy piece of garbage who should be fired. I detest unions and I hate that I am forced to be part of one.

• They are Protected

I work in a union shop and this is very true. There are hard workers who do a great job, but then there is also a large group who are lazy, whiny cry babies who do anything to get out of doing their work. They are very bold because they know they can't simply get fired and have a lot of protection. I have never seen a good worker need protection because they have noting to worry about. The only ones who get in trouble are the slackers who deserve it! Yet these are the ones who the Union fights for and they almost always get their job back! Its ridiculous and only makes the hard workers more bitter and resent unions. On the flip-side, every slacker within 50 miles wants to work here and we keep getting more and more of these people!

• No, unions work as much for the employer as for the employee.

Unions are designed to protect the employee from exploitation by forming contracts with employers. But unions also benefit the employer by stipulating rules that the employee has to follow. There are measures for dealing with chronically late employees, employees who take long breaks, too many sick days and on and on - everything is spelled out in the contract so the employer actually does not have to deal with lazy employees.

• No, they protect workers

Unions are created to make sure that individual workers are not exploited, and have recourse if they are. Yes, there are some people who take advantage of this, but the good that comes from unions out weighs the few that are willing to cheat. I am part of a union, and I take umbrage at the idea that I am lazy (was my 80 hour work week last week lazy?). Most of the people I work with work this hard. It's what we do. Don't lump us in with the few people who won't work. I don't see you assuming that all CEOs are lazy or something. Stop repeating lies you hear.

• Unions Do Serve A Good Purpose

Unions are a needed part of the work force. Sure, there may be some problems with some unions, but the need for collective bargaining far trumps that. The right to organize was hard fought for, and some even gave their lives for it. So, it is a right that should not be taken for granted.

Posted by: rpr
  • I detest people that take advantage of being organized. Unions have helped the working person have a voice. Created weekends, 8 hour day

It's so freaking sad to read the yes comments. But realize there are way more union folks that take pride in their work . The people that take advantage are huge scumbags and will likely have bad karma coming there way. Without unions we are all just battling each other for the crumbs ceo's that make 300 times the next employee will throw for us.Big ups to unions that encourage good work ethic, safety, living wage and the right to negotiate. Look at union-less countires and their working conditions. But definitely funk those lazy doughnut gobbling fatties that give unions a bad name

• Yes they are!

I came from a background where I had to work for my money. I did join a union then became management. As a union member and especially now i have never met a group of people that are more lazy and entitled. I was told multiple times to slow down because I was union. Thank God that I am not union anymore. I felt that i was compromising my integrity by being a part of something that helped cripple the company that took care of me so well.

• Depends on who you ask.

I am a union worker, and I very greatly appreciated the company I work for as well as the union I am member of. But on a daily basis the I see exempt company officials try take away what we have fought so hard for. If not for the union and the contracts we have they would stomp us into the dirt and hire scabs to do our work. Someone hire up once said "we're all a bunch of overpaid unskilled workers" I made 52,000 last year, meanwhile the CEO made 17,000,000. Its all greed. The union abolishes the possibility of favoritism, if my bosses son was hired he would make the same exact hourly wage as the rest of us on that job. 99 percent of the people I work with are very hard workers and are driven to get the job done. There are a couple people who take advantage of it, but they have also worked here for 30 plus Years. Also a major problem I see with productivity is the miscommunication and un organization throughout management. Some days I feel lazy when there's nothing for me to do, but that cant br blamed on the union, only the company for not having there monkeys in a bunch.

• Unions benefit EVERYBODY

Unions protect employees. Unions safeguard both against arbitrary and unfair treatment and against personal and political patronage. Unions ensure the existence of a collective bargaining AGREEMENT, which is a contract that stipulates the terms and conditions of employment. These contracts, by the way, ensure that so-called "bad apples" are not protected but rather are dismissed decisively, dispositively, but fairly.

Unions protect employers. Unions ensure that rogue managers are held accountable and are not allowed to intimidate employees.

Unions protect society. Unions allow nurses to speak up on behalf of patients. Unions allow engineers to speak up against defective designs. Unions allow doctors to advocate on behalf of patients. Unions also advocate for higher wages, thereby ameliorating the decline of the middle class. When the middle class has money to spend, jobs are created, because an additional dollar in your pocket translates to an additional dollar in somebody else's pocket, an additional dollar in somebody else's pocket, ad infinitum.

Many people say that unions are no longer needed because, in this "modern age," employers are "enlightened" and do not engage in the malfeasance conduct that ignited the union movement. That is putting the cart before the horse. The fact is that it is the ever present THREAT of unionization that motivates employers to develop positive relationships with employees.

• Unions do not allow the worker to slack off.

Unions are put forth to prevent the abuse of the human resources inside a company. In no way does it allow the worker to slack off and not suffer the appropriate consequences (i.E. An employee can still be fired for sleeping on the job). All it does is prevent the employer from over working his employees or making them work in unsafe environments. Unions are not a license to be lazy.