• Yes, as playing videogames in excess can cause detriment...

Then videogames must be detrimental to today's society. There may be research supporting that excessive videogames cause seizures, and the evidence is that little disclaimer you see every time right before you start playing a game...
    Now I don't support the theory that a little gaming here and there, for the individual, will always mess you up, but the videogame culture as a whole is a big distraction from life. I mean, why can you kids pick up a stick and go outside? Get some beer and throw some eggs at a house! Go help an old woman across the street. Wag your finger and tell others what to do. Go to college and get more money!

• Video games are detrimental to today's society.

Video games are a waste of time and they encourage people to be violent. People can have fun playing real games that get them out of the house and that allow them to exercise their bodies. Video games are too expensive, and they do not teach people anything useful. Video games do not contribute to society.

• If a car is used in a robbery do you ban all the wheels because they are detrimental for society?

Games are powerful tools for many fields besides entertainment , in fact they can be used to improve some brain capacity as memory, speed, and other like lumosity do, or brain age academy (http://www.Lumosity.Com/); they can also be many more times powerful teaching tools than many textbooks and that would be the case for many games based on historical moments like age of empires, they can peak you curiosity on this topics and make even math second nature as you may be using it at practical way all the time, heck even the statement of them causing violence by recent investigations is really incomplete as the statement they always start off is assuming they create it and don't bother to explore other possibilities like they attract more violent people, or even that they are used to express anger and frustration on non real violent ways, I mean, I really appreciate that someone is "killing" someone Else's avatar than killing another real person, and there hadn't been enough investigation into whether or not they actually damage your eyes, I heard there's actual proves that the opposite is more correct but is not as famous because is easier to point problems to things than to individual acts other than that on your daily routine.

I give that video games may not be as healthy to the body or make you richer (at least not all games) but that can be said of watching sports in house and not doing them, reading too much, and many other activities, if the people are not capable of balancing their life's is because of their choices not of the tools.

• Kids learning how to be strong and brutal, is a good thing!

Many video games are all about violence: i.e. shooting as many enemy soldiers as possible.

Recently the latest release in the GTA series has included a torture scene, where players, mostly young boys are instructed to torture a prisoner in the most degrading and painful way possible to get information from him.

A sample of the game play is available here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsl548fyvyE

I think it is only right, that boys learn that all is fair in love and war. :D