Are video surveillance cameras in public places a good idea?

• If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.

When you're in a public space, you're in the eye of the public. So what's the difference in being watched by a closed circuit TV camera? Even if you were caught picking your nose the police aren't going to arrest you for that and no surveillance officer is going put it on national television.

• We SHOULD have Surveillance Cameras in public places

Do you want to ensure your safety in public? We can make that possible, along with protecting your property, and preventing crimes, with surveillance cameras. Surveillance cameras are very helpful in today's world.
    I think we should have surveillance cameras in public places because they ensure public safety. Rarely will anyone attempt to harm you when they know their actions are being recorded on camera. Cameras keep you and your personal property safe. The police can identify criminals recorded with cameras. Through surveillance cameras, the police can both prevent crimes from happening and can quickly solve criminal cases with material evidence.
    In addition, surveillance cameras protect against property theft, and vandalism. It is very difficult to get away with stealing something if there are cameras filming you. Surveillance cameras protect personal property.
    Furthermore, surveillance cameras prevent crime. No one will want to attempt a crime. The cameras record almost everything on tape. Therefore, the thief will often get caught. Surveillance cameras will catch the thief before, or during the process of committing the crime. If no one is aware of the crime until after it has been committed, the surveillance footage is always a crucial piece of evidence during a police investigation. Surveillance cameras have, and will prevent many crimes.
    Some people may say that we should not have surveillance cameras in public places. They claim that they invade privacy. That is false. Why be out in public if you want privacy? Just stay at home. Surveillance cameras are meant to keep you and other property safe, not to stalk you.
    We should have surveillance cameras in public places. People that do not agree, should not go out in public. Cameras are there not to invade a person's privacy but to protect the public by deterring criminal activity and by providing material evidence when a crime has been caught on film. That is why we should have surveillance cameras in public places.

• Video cameras in public are a good idea because they deter people from committing crime.

Having video surveillance cameras placed in public places is a good idea because people are less likely to commit crimes in the area if they know they're going to be being filmed the whole time. Things like shoplifting hardly seem worth it when pitted against the possibility of going to jail.

Posted by: TwoVic
  • Why NOT (IN PUBLIC ONLY)?!

First of all, there is no doubt that the video surveillance cameras in PUBLIC can prevent lots of crimes. Some people point out about the privacy and liberties! That does not make any sense. I mean what kind of privacy do you want to get in public. Some people said "it's useless", and my question is: at least it not going to hurt anyone.

• We should have surveillance cameras

Why not? if something were to happen, they could figure it out because it was caught on camera. If you have nothing to hide whats wrong with cameras watching you? Having cameras in public places make people feel safe. if people know that there are cameras around they will most likely not do anything stupid.

• I believe video surveillance cameras in public places are a good idea as they can help to deter crime.

Video surveillance cameras are beneficial in public places as it means people are less likely to commit a criminal offence as there is a higher likelihood that they will be caught. People feel safer in the knowledge that a potential mugger or attacker will be put of by the presence of a camera. Cameras now have the ability to zoom in to reveal someone's identity which can be beneficial to crime prevention when used in the correct way.

Posted by: J Navarro 62
  • It is called PUBLIC.

When we go into public anyone can see you. If you try to break the law, most likely you will get caught. If you are not a criminal you have nothing to worry about. I definitely think we should have cameras. The government could find criminals easier. If you are a criminal then you have something to worry about.

• Having a video surveillance in a public place is a good idea because it can see things that we may not always catch.

When a crime happens it may be a good idea to have it on tape. The criminal can be apprehended quickly and there wont be an issue finding them as much as there is without. Especially in abduction cases a video would be a great way of tracking down a person quickly and maybe preventing a death.

Posted by: B3rkIffy
  • Video surveillance in public places is a great idea, because it lets the bystanders have a sense of security.

I believe that video surveillance cameras are a great idea in all public places because it would create a sense of security for the people walking around and exploring the world. As long as it is in public areas, it would have no sense of invasion of privacy because the places are often filled with different people. It would be a good idea to see who travels down the public places in case an emergency breaks out, the person who committed the crime can be caught with the cameras.

Posted by: N34rIyGaIv
  • Video surveillance cameras can be used by law enforcement to stop crime and in the extreme, help prevent a terrorist attack.

Video surveillance cameras should not be considered an invasion of privacy. By their very nature, video surveillance cameras are placed in public areas with large numbers of people. No one should have expectations of privacy in public places with large numbers of people around. The cameras can be used to prevent crime or used as evidence in trials for crimes that are committed.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • I don't believe video surveillance cameras in public places are a good idea because it is an infringement on your civil liberties.

I don't think that video surveillance cameras in public places are a good idea because it is an infringement on your civil liberties. Why film innocent people doing nothing criminal in public places. Next, they'll be putting them in public restrooms.

Posted by: MycCra2ii
  • Privacy Is Dead

"Those who give up liberty for safety deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin. Cameras everywhere is not a deterrent as kids egg and TP houses even if it has cameras... All that's needed is a mask. It takes away our freedom to not be watched. It will allow governments to watch us, which may not matter now, but in the wrong hands, can be catastrophic.

• Why do they think this is right?

Why should people be able to videotape us, without our rights? This is our world and people need to be respected, we have a voice. We need to use it. They should not be able to record us, at all. We are people. We are not animals or test dummies. We don't deserve to be watched while living our lives.

• They don't work.

In new York a man got stabbed and was left to die in front of three surveillance cameras. It took the ambulances 2 hours to get to the injured man, and he died before getting to the hospital. The surveillance cameras did nothing to help the man, and are a waste of tax payers money.

• Surveillance cameras suck

I think this is an awful idea because if a window is open somewhere, a person could look through and watch them all the time so that is an invasion of privacy. This is why cameras are a very bad idea to put around the city to watch people all the time

• Not in the public

CCTV systems, as stated, will not stop crime. I believe business and home owners should have the right to monitor their own property as they see fit. In this belief, I think there should be some state or federal ground rules applied. (Example: I should be able to install a camera in my back yard. The camera should be positioned in such a manner that I'm not monitoring my neighbors back yard.
    Business owners should be able to monitor their facilities and stores but, should be required to post proper signage to alert individuals the are is under surveillance.) As far as monitoring "common area", public streets, sidewalks, parks...Etc. I think that's a big ol' NO! If only half of you people posting have seen some of the new technology you would agree it's an infringement on our rights. Facial recognition, behavioral patterns and even racial profiling can currently be programmed into systems that are available today. Without and preset regulation... NO.

• Its my right!!

Its my right to go out of my house and not have to worry if I'm being video taped. The police or a camera or nothing can protect you, the crime is never stopped by this. Crime still happens you aren't safe. Its after the fact people are caught. I don't want to give up my freedom so I feel "safe". It should be a choice. I'm entitled to my own view and just because you want to give up your freedom, I shouldn't have to.

• You need privacy

Whether your walking down the street, driving in your car or even tying up your shoes, they will always be watching, people need privacy, if they use this camera for their own enjoyment it is wrong and totally inappropiate, that is one reason why cameras need to go in public places.

• Yes and No

Yes because it protects us and the people around us. It also is a big help to police and investigators who are looking for someone or somebody.

But also, I say no because now in days, big companies are starting to put video cameras in changing rooms which completely invades our privacy. And what, for example, you are caught going somewhere you weren't supposed to on Google Maps?!

This is a very complex question to answer because there isn't a good answer or a bad answer.

• Hello, don't I have a right to go to a park without being filmed?

Privacy is privacy. I don't have to sit at home all day, because I'm worried about being filmed. Yes, it would help with the issue of crime, but is it really that worth it. The main reason I think this issue is suddenly becoming so big is because of the Boston Marathon. Yes, it's a HUGE tragedy, but there is no proof that more cameras could have prevented it. Also, think about the cost. WE DON'T HAVE MONEY FOR THAT!