• Are we alone?

Are we alone?

I have been in the science fiction and awe of science since childhood.
    Always been fascinated by the the possibility of alien life.
    As a former fighter pilot and commercial pilot I have logged some 17 000 flying hours and have had ample time to study the night sky. Astronomy and science have always been my keenest interests. But I have never met a college who have seen anything remotely alien.
    Nevertheless here are my standpoint to day.
    Flying saucers and 3. Degree contacts. These phenomena seems nearly exclusively to come from the US. Here in Europe it is not a big deal at all. This indicates the possibility that it is a cultural phenomenon that feeds on its own popularity. In England its more popular to see ghosts or patterns in the cornfields and in Scotland lake monsters (Loch Ness) My mother had lots of these stories to tell and there is no doubt that it was shared by the entire community.
    NASAs unexplained files. This is absolutely rubbish. The interviews with astronauts goes no further than saying that they don`t know what they saw and cannot explain a certain sight. Then the fans use this to conclude it must be alien. This is absolutely non-scientific reasoning. The fact that a phenomenon cannot be readily explained, does not prove it is something else. It is the same as the religious point that because creation cannot be explained 100% by science, it must be God. Not so. UFOs are exactly what the name implies: Unidentified Flying Objects.

• No Evidence To Support Otherwise

Yes, we are alone in the universe. Almost everyone wants to believe in UFO’s and alien creatures. Almost everyone hopes that there are other civilizations out there. Odds are that if there were alien civilizations, they would be just as eager to find us as we are to hear from them. But for many years now, we have had satellites and monitoring equipment scanning the heavens, looking for the slightest blip and sadly, have found absolutely nothing. Exploration of the moon and Mars did not find any evidence or trace of alien exploration or colonization so the inevitable conclusion has to be that there is nothing out there.

• Must assume yes

Ignoring any conspiracy theories about Roswell or alien abductions or crop circles, we must assume that we are indeed alone in teh universe until presented with proof. Credible, quantitative, tangible, physical proof that can be proven once and for all and made public. Simply wanting there to be aliens or higher intelligence doesn't make it exist.

• Is there life, that has self-awareness, looking outward into the stars with the intent of going there - we have no evidence of that.

All the arguments aside that life surely exists on other worlds, we need to be able to prove it, and not just say "it must. Look at all the potential worlds that exist in our galaxy much less the universe." It is very possible that Star Wars got it right - 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.'
    We keep looking in the present time for someone sending us a 'signal' that they are out there. SETI has been listening for how long a time? They have not heard anything, and even if they did it would be of relatively recent origin - less than one hundred thousand years ago (that is the estimated diameter of our galaxy and the time it would take a 'radio' signal to cross that distance), or less. The universe is 13+ billion years old. Civilizations, if they had existed, could have been born, and died, thousands of times in that time span. Did they exist, possibly, but would we have known it - most assuredly not. Our solar system is only 4+ billion years old. Approximately 2.4 billion years ago the earth became livable, as we know it, when our atmosphere changed from a very deadly one to today's oxygen rich atmosphere that can sustain life as we know it.
    Assuming that any civilization existed that had attained our level of intelligence, they would be doing much the same as we are doing now - looking outward for planets that could sustain life. Why - because they would also realize that if their civilization was going to survive, in the long term, they would have to get off their planet and spread their kind around the galaxy, forget the universe for now, because living only on one planet is courting disaster from some unexpected planet destroying rock - hence, given the amount of time that the universe has existed there has been plenty of time for them to do just that.
    For the last 2.4 billion years, at least, we have been a shining beacon saying "I'm here. Come to me". But no one has come. That is a long time.
    To the arguments that the parameters needed for life must 'certainly be out' there in the millions of potential planets that could exist, it should be noted that the parameters change over time - the goldilocks zone is not a fixed zone around a star (it expands and contracts with the age and heat of the star); an atmosphere once lost on a planet is not going to return; water, the most universal of solvents, may or may not be present; and, so on.
    Even if we missed the first two third of the universe's age, the recent 2.4 billion years is not too small amount of time for some civilization to have broken the barriers of their home world and traveled the galaxy, even at the slow speeds of .1-.5 the speed of light.
    So "Where are they?"

• We have to wait for the future to know

Does anybody know how big the universe is so how can we say that we are alone or not we have to wait for the exploration of another planet which is in habitable zone for life.Species of that planet Needed to adapt in their atmosphere.So, hearing this there still stands a question are we alone.

• We are alone

Astronomers were flabbergasted when we discovered solar systems that were previously deemed impossible. Our solar system is unusual amongst solar systems when looking at the keppler orrery. You need so many factors to happen for life to be sustainable. You need to be at the right place at the right time and the odds of that happening in a universe where almost anything can take you out is very very very slim. Let's also not forget that not only do you need the right solar system you also need the right planet. At least 15 factors need to be in place for life to exist on a planet. We are truly special and we should remember that everyday of our lives.

• We are alone

• I'm open to the idea but I think we might be a freak accident

It's seems weird to think us humans became the only animal on this plabet able to build a civilization capable of space exploration yet here we are. Millions of years and we are the only ones that have done it.

Perhaps much like our success on earth is a freak of nature perhaps our existance on earth is a very freak accident as well. A blip on the horizon. What odds of matter becoming organic and self aware on other planets? Maybe it takes more than the right conditions. Maybe it takes sheer luck. If you look at our evolutionary path we are very lucky to be here at all.

• Aything is possible?

Yes the universe is massive and you would assume there must be life out there and if so then it must be teaming with life and out of that life inteligent life must be abound and superior to ours,now if thats the case where are they ,i would of thought they would have visited us in their millions by now.

• We are not alone …...

I know we are not alone because there are a lot of other planets in the universe. And there are some planets that supports life . Its not such a big deal I just want to know if we are alone or not. It would be scary and amazing to actually discover another species, thats very intelligent.

• Alone in the universe?

I think not. The universe is way to big to deny the possibility that there is life out there. There may not be intelligent life out there, but we can't deny that there is no life. I think it's impossible that Earth would be the only planet of billions of planets to have life.

This is just my opinion. Maybe I just have an open mind because I'm 14 years old. :)

• No, I don't think we are alone.

Look at the sky at day and night. Imagine how many galaxies and universe there can be. We can't be alone. The reason why strange things are happening in our world is why we are not alone. There strange things happen because creatures from other planets are investigating our planet. We can't be ignorant and think that we are the only people in the world. Yes, there isn't a way of knowing but...Think about it. Do you really think we are alone?

• I believe that we are obviously not alone in the universe and that in fact there is strong evidence of aliens visiting Earth.

If one believes in God then maybe there is an excuse for saying we are alone. However if you believe in Evolution you have absolutely no excuse for saying we are alone. If intelligent life can happen here it can happen elsewhere, for me that is only common scientific sense. As for evidence of ET visiting us we have many credible stories and witnesses. In the case of Betty and Barney Hill who were abducted, Betty was asked to draw out a star system that the aliens showed, the star system was completely unknown at the time and is know known as Zeta Reticuli (EXPLAIN THAT). How could the Hills make up a star system that somehow turned out to be real. Even if there was no hard core evidence of ET, as I said before, it is just common sense to think alien life exists, the galactic habitable zone is huge and has to be supporting intelligent life somewhere, evolution demands that.

• Any one who thinks we are alone should get slapped..

We are but a speck of dust in the great universe. I would be next to impossible to believe that only one speck of dust contains life. I think that most people are in denial because they have not yet evolved enough to accept and comprehend that perhaps there are other dogma of life out there that might be superior to us.. I think we must also keep in mind that perhaps this different life forms don't require the same elements we do to live, so perhaps even what we consider inhabital planets may be able to support life for a which don't require water, oxygen, etc,,,

• What we mean by alone.

By alone we mean entirely alone. Not even a plant on any planet but our own. The chances of us being alone are very slim. On some planets that have an atmosphere, like Pluto, plants and other organisms that aren't human might be able to survive so as they are living things they would mean we are not alone. If there was a humanoid type of being out in space, the possibility that we haven't heard from them yet is that they are further behind us in technology therefore are unable to communicate with us and maybe haven't even discovered that there is something else besides the planet that they live on.

• What are the odds!

What are the odds that we are the only form of intelligence that live in one planet, in one galaxy, in the universe. There are millions of galaxies and the universe has not even finish expanding yet. That being said there is probably one other planet out of the billion that there probably are that has a similar ecosystem and habitat of earth. I've seen a video on numbers and say if you have a "googleplex" which is 10^10^100. Studies show that this number is so large that the universe hasn't even surpassed it yet. Yet the further you travel the more trends you will start to see. Eventually until you start to see trends similar to earth. Or even another planet with water on it. If there is water then there is life. So exactly what are the odds that we are alone? I am willing to bet that there is a greater chance that we are not alone than if we were alone. Im not sure if people just don't want to accept this as a fact because they are scared and have problems of there own. But I just think that everyone should think outside the box and prepare for the unknown. Also I've read some of the yes comments and I see a trend of that we have been here for millions of years. What about the years before that? There time before dinosaurs? And perhaps the time before the first bacteria created to spark life on our planet. What if life has already started on other planets in other galaxies? They would be far more advanced and have far greater technology than we have and it seems to me that they do.The reason I see that they haven't invaded us is because w are not advanced as we think we are. Yes the government and area 51 and NASA may be hiding information from us and top weapons and stuff. To the extra-terrestrials we are like babies that are still evolving. Who knows how long they have actually had to evolve. So again what are the odds?!

• The fact that we are not alone cannot be denied at all!!

This fact cannot be denied.....We cannot be all alone in this vast universe which is expanded infinite light years.....We haven't seen the entire universe and so cannot just conclude by studying and researching on just a few planets or moons....It is sure that some life exists......Though maybe its not in human form or some multi cellular organisms only,but it can exist....The entire universe is so massive that it hasn't been even seen fully by anyone and so,we can say that in some part of it life in any form can exist.In future,sure some kind of life can be spotted.

• Alone? No way, The universe is too big

We can't be alone in the universe, its too damn big, people who say that we are alone, maybe didn't read about the universe on the Internet.. Because when you will realize that the universe is so much big than you can ever imagine, we just cant be alone.

There are life, somewhere, and the day will come and we will find life outside earth.
    Thanks for reading :)

• We are not alone in the universe.

I don't think so that entire of the universe created only for mankind. Also some of Scientific researches and videos showed that probably there is alien or smart life in the universe. Even smarter and wiser than human and if you research about aliens you find out the relevance of some countries with aliens such as Soviet(in the past) and America and Germany.