• We definitely are

I am doing an assignment on this, and due to the evidence supporting this it it obvious. What I find appalling in the pay women, and men receive. If we are the same age, and working the same job, why should men get more money? Not only the income of men tells us that we live in a patriatchy society, it is also the self confidence, that women feel, because of the terms "You run like a girl". These cryptic comments can affect our society's approach towards girls. It is not only the men who are only causing this division between genders, but the women also. But for women to reach a potential job or to fulfil there ambitions in a work environment, they commonly have to have male characteristics to be successful.

• Of Course We Are

Why do people think that we are not living in a male dominated society? Have you not heard of the wage gap? A women makes 78 cents to every man's dollar. Women are seen as objects while men are the ones possessing these objects. Looked at a billboard lately? A car commercial? A commercial for soda? Who's there? A WOMAN.

• Yes we do stay in a mail dominated society.

In order for america to no longer be a patriarchy it first has to be a monarchy to balance out the patriarchy because for the past 300 years even before america was founded women were seen as property and had no say in society. Remember the witch trials? The rule of thumb? Alice Paul for protesting. The only way for women to be taken seriously is to look masculine and we should change that.

Men dominate society. Men have created all standards of beauty and intelligence that women are expected to live up to. Men are STILL seen as more powerful, more dominant, and more influential than women in almost every aspect of society. And if you disagree, then i ask you: why am i learning in my home economics class that a man is the head of the household? Why is my teacher telling me that men are supposed to bring in the majority of a family's income? Why is there a board of men debating abortion rights when THEY ARE MEN AND THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ABORTIONS? Why is there still a wage gap in america? Why are women shamed for pursuing careers in things like politics, engineering, business, etc.? The society of the united states is patriarchal, no doubt about it.

Rape, murder, domestic abuse, pay scales, politicians, boardrooms, well paid sports personalities, most sports shown on UK TV = male football, male cricket, male rugby, well paid TV personalities, front page photos of newspapers, back page photos of newspapers, TV show judges, TV show comperes etc etc....All overwhelmingly male dominated and male favoured. 95% of prison population is male costing all tax payers (male and female) a whopping £3,700+ million per year compared with women prisoners £132+million/year .....Why are women even paying the same tax rates when men are costing this country far more in all areas of life? VAT paid on tampons/ sanitary towels but not on razor blades - which is more essential? Mmmm sure bleating blokes may 'think' what you like if it makes you feel more comfortable ... But in my 53 years and 30+ in the work force I have NOT seen any great equality for women - that is my life, my reality, my fact.

Hence,I believe we still stay in a mail dominated society.

• Yes we do

Yes, our society is definitely patriarchal. Women are treated as objects, while men are valued as human beings. Isn't it odd how men made laws such as,"freedom to pursue their happiness," but in the home everything revolves around the man as if he is king. No one except the man is free to pursue happiness in the home.

• Ofcourse we do

Where do you see man chnaging surnames for woman or man taking care of babies and allowing their wives to work out or women being the head of the family? Male ego is the biggest problem and reason behind patriarchy and if women are united then maybe by 2100 a.D. We can bring gender neutrality !

• Yes we do

Look around we do. Tell me one country that is ruined by a matiarckle society. Nothing because we still offend women and think that women is a synonym for weak. And it should not be this way because we should have equality and all men and women are being treated equally

• If you have engaged your brain you cannot deny we live in a patriarchal society.

• Yes We Are

Why is it that most,meaning more than half,our governors are men?
    Why is it that men generally receive more pay than women that do the same work?
    Why does the husband work and the wife stays back at home doing domestic labor, that can be exhausting,difficult,and just a lot, un approved of, unpaid,solitary,with no start or finish times?
    Why is it still expected that the wife has to follow her husbands instructions word by word?
    Why is it that the man has the first and last say in every detail of everyone's lives?
    Why from the first place is it seen better that the man goes to be the breadwinner and his wife at home?, Is it because she is too weak?,Not fit?,rather wasteful(having too many holidays like pregnancy breaks and so)?
    We are starting to reach the concept of equality but slowly, we are still patriarchal,maybe we cant see it but still are, yes it can be even argued that patriarchy is beneficial for all societies but still the gap between man and woman is too big to be left exposed.

• Yes we live in patriarchal society

We live in a patriarchal society that is dominated by people of privledge and those are white males. Those who do not fit the privledge of "the white male" have very different life outcomes as a result of differences in opportunity. Gender is a social determinant of health; based on research the gender of a child automatically provides some knowledge of certain challenges this person will face during their life time. A woman will get paid less than her male counter part, more likely to experience poverty prior to child birth and after as well as in old age. We have long ways to go towards equality. By analyzing the position of privledge for the white male and comparing it to those of women, people of ethnic minorities and other groups, it is evident that we live in a society where men fare better than women as a result of the patriarchal structure of our society.

• Economic, social and political power still remain in the hands of men

Economic power lies with mega rich men (more male CEOs named David than there are women), almost every government is made up of a majority of men and socially men are expected to be powerful and dominant. We can't consider ourselves an equal society until these powers are equally split, as it stands, we live in a world ruled by (privileged) men.

• Not any more.

While it's true that a patriarchy used to exist, this is no longer the case, at least in the developed world. Proponents of a supposed patriarchy often argue this exists because men hold more positions in the likes of politics, yet, by the same token, women also dominate certain fields, but it would be ludicrous to think that a matriarchy exists. The truth of the matter is that there are a lot of gender dominated fields and this swings both ways, and has nothing to do with any one gender oppressing another. Patriarchies are a matter of the past, not of the present.

• No we don't live in a patriarchal society.

In today's world, society is so diverse that patriarchy is becoming more and more instinct. People are migrating from every part of the world. The definition of a national title is being less occupant. For instant, let's look at the United States which has one of the most diverse cultures in any other nation.

• Its a delusion to think so.

Western families everywhere are matriarchal, I've personally come across very few patriarchal families, and those we're deeply religious families, mainly either Christian or Islamic, because both of those faiths preach/demand a patriarchal household. I'm from Australia of course, and almost every family I know has a governing matriarch. I feel a lot of the belief that we live in a patriarchal society is brought about by the fact that men are the ones abusing women a lot more than vice versa.
    I would definitely agree that throughout human history there have been dominant patriarchal overtones but in the developed world today, its faded, its not there anymore.

• Not even close.

You have to be a brainwashed feminist to seriously believe that this exists in the first world. Look at the porn industry for example. Men get paid almost nothing, yet women make WAY more money than men. Where are the feminists outrage over this? No where. You know why? Because feminism is no longer about equal between the sexes, now it is trying to get women above men and make men lower than women.
    Signed, a concerned woman.

• I believe in Bigfoot.....

....Before I would believe in the boogeyman of Patriarchy. The bias in the courts over property, money, debts, children, and criminal sentencing in favor of women. Sounds like Patriarchy isn't doing it's job. Women under 40 out-earning men of similar age, and racking up 60% of recently earned college degrees....Patriarchy, where are you? They say you oppress them yet they ain't being oppressed. Male suicide rate 3 times higher than women, and male child genital mutilation is accepted while men and women logically pointing out how wrong this all is makes them misogynists? Sorry, but if there was a Patriarchy running Western Society....They sure as hell are doing a retarded job of it.

• We have equality... ALMOST.

These feminists will cite their fantasy wage gap and continue talking about how everything is part of the plot made by the patriarchy that doesn't exist. We have equal pay, voting rights, etc. Feminists just cite flawed studies. Also, men are "objectified" too. Look at the magazines with men on the cover. What do you see? Extremely muscular body builders. By the way, by definition, we all are objects. Also, about gender roles? Just don't conform to them. If you get criticism and go cry about people criticizing your choices, that is YOUR problem. Women are the ones who get extra privilege actually. I won't go into more detail but if you want to, you can go look into it more.

• Women can make decisions.

Even if you say that women have a harder time, it's not that they can't make their own choices. A patriarchy is where men make all the choices and decisions, women just stay at home and do what the men tell them to. We have women in office. We have women making careers for themselves. We have women who are doing way better than men. All women have the ability to do it. Some more than others, but there is nothing stopping them expressly. Just obstacles. Perhaps there's still a slant, but that doesn't make it a patriarchy. It just means we're still in the midst of getting to true equality. Rather than focus on whether we're in a patriarchal society right now or not, we should probably start working on putting more laws that fix the slant. (Which in its own way, means we're not in a patriarchy already, so that's that.)

• Once but not anymore

Definition of 'Patriarchy' - a system of society or government in which men hold the power and women are largely excluded from it.

That cannot be used as an accurate description of our society today (at least in the West) because it simply isn't true. Women are afforded all the rights and opportunities that are available to men. To underscore that point, the next leader of the most powerful nation on Earth will likely be a woman. Need I say more?

• We have problems for both sides

Sure that we do have problems for women, but we also have gender problems for men. Examples of this are how men are the majority of people that get sent in wars to likely die in it, how gay men are more socially outcasted from society than an lesbian would, men are usually ignored when it comes to certain cancers when breast cancer for women are held almost daily. I agree that we need to focus of women's rights, but it doesn't mean that we can pretend that men don't have even one social injustice in our government

• It really depends on how you define "patriarchy".

If you say that it's a society where men's rights trump women's, then no. Because, in my opinion, women have more legal rights, but women's rights happen to be stomped on in the real world. Long story short, we all have problems that need to be fixed, but blaming it on some "patriarchy" isn't going to do much.