Are we too focused on searching for a particular kind of alien life?

Asked by: ScientificBeack
  • We're Too Busy Searching For Life We Recognize

I think we are too narrow in our search for alien life. We humans only recognize alien life if it's like ours (i.E. Cells, DNA, etc.).

What if there are different kinds of life so alien (no pun intended) that we simply don't recognize them?

What's to say that aliens could be pure energy forms or fields that reproduce by splitting somehow and have to avoid bigger fields that could neutralize them?

Or what's to say aliens aren't clouds that reproduce by gathering moisture and then splitting, and communicate by using lightning strikes?

Though these two examples are really bad/unscientific, I think you guys get the point.

Perhaps we should stop looking for our kind of "life", and look in broader fields. Maybe there are even aliens among us and we just can't recognize them because we aren't looking for the right thing.

• No we are not.

We are just searching for any sort of life-form outside our Earth . We are not looking for anything specific, we will be astonished if we even find some sort of remains of a life form. Just any sort of life that is or was that we find could lead to a scientific break through.

• I'd prefer meeting the District-9-aliens over some Stargate-Ori

I agree with the question with respect to SETI-like searches, in that I personally doubt that any advanced alien civilization will use the same kind of signals as we do. Maybe they developed a way of generating/ detecting focused neutrino rays or something (now it's getting really sci-fi, haha).

But I still have to choose 'No'. Firstly, at least we currently know of no other physical possibilities for life forms other than being composed of atoms. So all searches (on Mars, exoplanets, etc.) can only look for what we understand, as we cannot build a detector for something we can't think of. There is even a dissent about whether to classify Earth as a whole as one organism (and now it's getting really esoteric), so it's quite difficult to widen the focus experimentally.
    Secondly, really advanced aliens might be too dangerous to handle. Contacting another species with a comparable technological and biological level and therefore clear signs of life inside our narrow focus could be healthier for us than meeting beings whose sheer composition (let alone
    technological capabilites) would be elusive to us.

Very good question, though.

• We are not

We are not really because we have now got the resources there to do this kind of stuff. So why shouldn't we do it. Another factor is because we need to search for other life's and over planets because we have destroyed this planet very bad in the last 200 years and basically because searching for new life could save us.

GWL-CPA says2013-09-23T01:34:55.610
Whether there is Alien life or not is a Science Fiction debate; despite people like Carl Sagan who ignored the realities of deep space travel, there is no proof that Aliens exist.

If the physical laws of the Universe are correct, man on earth will never know and we will never be able to travel to distant galaxies to find out.

There are way to many science-fiction nutcases in the world.
ScientificBeack says2013-09-27T07:12:49.603
So I'm a nutcase because I'm discussing the fact that other forms of life besides our human so-called "organic life" exist?