Are Westerners brainwashed into having stereotypypical views about Islam?

Asked by: Monteray
  • a resounding yes...

Every station ID spot on MSNBC..CNN..And of course faux news feature a clip of those damn towers falling down.. And ppl react very viscerally to that...The reason is very obvious ..The media is controlled by corporations that stand to reap windfalls from a new war in the middle east...

And BTW..Nobody would have been that upset if those 3000 ppl that were killed had been in the bronx or the south side of chicago or somewhere like that...

• Including by Muslims.

By the fruit of the tree you shall know it, by the actions of the people you shall judge them.

Not saying anyone is strapped down to a chair with needles holding their eyes open watching "educational films," but socializing objectively has the same results as brainwashing (the people doing either probably don't intend harm). However the information most visible due to the actions of certain people, has indoctrinated people.

I say all this, without thinking it is anything special to the West. Everyone is brainwashed to some degree on most issues.

• Who is kidding whom? It is not Stereotyping!

Who is kidding whom? It is not Stereotyping!

A Muslim is a follower of Islam. I will use the terms interchangeably.

Most of what you read or hear about Muslims, followers of Islam is right on the money - most of the followers of Islam are very backward in social development, thousands of years behind Western Civilizations (e.G., Europe, America). They might have cell phones and iPods and even graduate from Harvard or MIT, but they are living in the darkness of religious fanaticism and male dominance over woman; and most do believe that all infidels (non-Muslims) need to be killed or at least all Jews, e.G., look at what Mahmoud Ahmadinegad has stated and what Osama bin Laden said for decades before his death about America and Jews.

Are most Muslims that move to the UK and America the good Muslims? I guess? But most, still believe that they should only be judged by Islamic law and that the UK and America should have two sets of laws, one for non-Muslims and Sharia Law for Muslims.

Now Muslims demand full Sharia law
    The fanatical group Islam4UK has ­announced plans to hold a potentially ­incendiary rally in London later this month. And it is calling for a complete upheaval of the British legal system, its officials and ­legislation. Members have urged Muslims from all over Britain to converge on the capital on October 31 for a procession to demand the full implementation of sharia law.”
    Muslims Demand Freedom to Impose Sharia on America
    Here on this site we have always maintained that freedom for Muslims means forcing all of us under Islamic ‘law’- the sharia.

What you hear about Muslims acting like nut cases because of cartoons (The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy) and trying to murder the author is right on the money. Most, followers of Islam don't believe in freedom of speech.

Most likely WWIII will be fought against Muslims in the Middle East against groups like the Muslim Brotherhood, and the Al Qaeda, especially if they get ahold of some nukes. This will most likely happen in Pakistan, where Muslim radicals will most likely overthrow the parliamentary republic and create a second Iran.

• I have studied, and thus respect Islam. "Brainwashing" isn't an issue. It's a matter of regional differences in parts of the world that follow Islam.

I respect the religion of Islam and the traditional culture that often surrounds it. I contribute my time to studying and researching elements of Islam whenever there is something that I do not understand in order to correct the ignorance. I feel, after years of this procedure, that I know enough about Islam to fully understand its appeal. I do, however, acknowledge the fact that there are parts of the world following Islam which are underdeveloped that contribute to what we consider a "stereotypical view" about it.

In a place like Afghanistan or Iraq, where rural tribalism is still quite common, and the city infrastructure is not equal to the infrastructure of a well-developed city like Berlin, Paris, or New York, the stereotype of Islamic culture are developed. These places are then used as examples to demonstrate to the rest of the world what Islamic culture is. It's easy, it is reliable (stereotypes would cease to exist if there were completely untrue), and it helps an uneducated mind understand the culture "in a nutshell."

There are parts of the world where our stereotypical view of Islam is completely true. There are parts of the world where our stereotypical view of Islam is completely untrue. The fact of the matter is, however, it is a half truth that reliably helps our culture understand it better.

Now, brainwashing? As defined by the Concise Encyclopedia-

"Systematic effort to destroy an individual's former loyalties and beliefs and to substitute loyalty to a new ideology or power. It has been used by religious cults as well as by radical political groups. The techniques of brainwashing usually involve isolation from former associates and sources of information; an exacting regimen calling for absolute obedience and humility; strong social pressures and rewards for cooperation; physical and psychological punishments for noncooperation, including social ostracism and criticism, deprivation of food, sleep, and social contacts, bondage, and torture; and constant reinforcement. Its effects are sometimes reversed through deprogramming, which combines confrontation and intensive psychotherapy."

-This is more like what Democrats and Republicans do to one another. These are not the tactics we use to try to explain Islam to the masses of our confused culture.

• No, Because They Have An Example To Go By

It is my opinion that United States Citizens reserve the right to profile members of the religious group responsible for the deaths of thousands of their fellow United States Citizens. While I may not feel that Islam is "evil", or "a religion based on hate", I do understand and support every United States Citizen's right to profile those in association with mass murderers and terrorists, in the same way that we often profile gang members as a group of mass murders, not individual perpetrators.

leojm says2013-05-21T15:06:10.957
I wouldn't put it as brainwashing. Use another word. :/