Are you able to reasonably, without the use of religion or god, explain to me why gay marriage should be illegal using FACTS?

Asked by: retrogamer176
  • By definition marriage is a unification between a man and a women, "gay marriage" is really just a civil union and should be called so.

There is no such thing as "gay marriage" because for THOUSANDS of years marriage has been defined as "the legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman as partners in a relationship." Including same sex couples would not be a marriage as that's not what marriage is. The problem arises as the homosexual community is attempting to change a definition that is thousands of years old rather than fighting for civil unions that are equal to marriages.

• Yes Because No-One is Considering the effect on straight children

It should be illegal because of the damage it will do to society.

It is known that everyone is bisexual to some degree on the kinsey scale.

Is is known that everyone experiences or contemplates attractions outside of their orientation.

Those are the facts. Now the conclusions you can draw from this are:

If kids are taught that homosexuality is normal, or even a reason to be celebrated, gone will be the little voice telling them 'this is wrong'.

When they have their inevitable same sex contemplate or attractions, gone is the barrier for them experimenting with it.

More and more kids will experiment with gay and bisexual activity.

More disease will be spread. More psychological problems. More suicide rates.

A vote for gay marriage is a vote for the sexual abuse of our children. There is nothing good that can come of normalising homosexuality.

• No "marriage" should have the weight of law.

Marriage is a religious act and no type of marriage should be supported or codified by federal law. Marriage was brought into the federal code as a tax incentive measure to encourage people to get married as a means to the end of growing the population of the United States because marriages usually result in the birth of children. The legal part of marriage is nothing more than a contract that was piggybacked onto pre existing religious matrimony. This is why divorces occur in courtrooms and not in churches. You can be legally married in a court and legally divorced in a court. You can be married in a church, but it is usually very difficult for a divorce to be approved by religious institutions (See Henry VIII).

The constitution guarantees that everybody is equal under the law. That means that anybody can enter into a contract with anybody else and agree to be partners financially for any reason. Society and by extension the federal government should have no interest in whether a legal contract is accompanied by romantic love and long-term commitment.

Religious people would have no issue with any pair of individuals entering into a financial contract that binds one person to another for life and if they did they would not have a legal standing. However, they do have the right to refuse the use of term "marriage" and access to their religious institutions if they do not desire to sanction the union as a "marriage".

The bottom line is that gay marriage should not be legal and neither should traditional marriage. Contracts are legal and always have been. Leave contracts to the government and marriage to the churches.

• Government should not define relationships

Governments should treat everyone as an individual. Benefits from government should not be based on a sexual partner regardless of gender, even if heterosexual. Government claiming a role in personal relationships is oppressive and reprehensible, therefore must be ended.

This is a call for ending all civil marriage, along with all benefits and punishments that government mandates on the married.

• No I can't

My ideas about gay marriage are completely based on religion, so otherwise, I believe it is perfectly legal. I don't believe that homosexuals should be treated any different than heterosexuals, I personally just believe that it is a sin according to the Bible. But, the Bible says to love everyone equally and everybody sins, so I can't judge, and I will still love a gay person the same way that I would love a straight person, but I believe the act is a sin.

• But I can explain why it should be legal using one little fact:

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

• Of course not!

There is no way you can say that it is not legal without bringing religion into it. Marriage is not something that is religious and gays are entitled to have the same benefits heterosexual couples receive under the fourteenth amendment which states that all citizens are to be treated equally.

• The dictionary definition and historical comparisons say no.

Oxford English Dictionary definition of Gay marriage: The legally or formally recognized union of a man and a woman (or, in some jurisdictions, two people of the same sex) as partners in a relationship. SO gay marriage is covered by what is considered an international standard of definition.

Also, antisemitism, racism against the non-white races (in the north west), racism against white races (in other nations) and acceptance of war and violence (to mention but a few backwards practices) were widely accepted as perfectly fine for over a thousand years. Nowadays however, ALL of those are classed as racism. We see the exact same situation here; People being discriminated against for who they are (no it is not a choice and that has been proven). And how was it fixed before: equal rights. How should the fix it now: equal rights. Did it ruin the world to give equal rights before: NO. Will it happen this time: NO.

At the end of the day, the only argument any anti-gay marriage person can make is "I personally believe something is weird, so let's deny people fairness and equality".

retrogamer176 says2015-04-30T00:11:19.320
@guitarist Well said bro!
difference says2015-04-30T02:27:07.913
I don't think facts alone can determine the legality of anything...Doesn't seem much different that asking "Are you able to reasonably, without the use of religion or god, explain why gay marriage should be legal using FACTS?"
difference says2015-04-30T02:27:21.300
But maybe I'm wrong