• Educated yourself and do not sound ignorant.

I think its important that as a world that is becoming more diverse and unified that we learn how to at least SPELL and LOCATE a country. It is not that hard to know the difference between Colombia and Columbia. Its understandable the first time or for people who may not be educated but other than that you should learn how to spell things properly. On the other hand though many people do not know where Colombia even is on the map.

• I think its best to learn the true spelling of any place.

I think we should be aware of the world, it is one thing if you are from a country where you may not have the education but there is no reason for people who are from developed nations to not be aware of how people spell a country. However, its worth noting that a lot of people do not even know where Colombia even is. (Along with many countries)

• Is not offensive, is bothersome!

If you are from a third world country and spell Columbia, is fine. But hearing, listening, and reading about it from people from highly educated countries. No way.

Since when Made In China is the same as Made In Japan. Is not the same. Period. Educate yourself. And help others.

• The name of a country is how it is represented everywhere in the world

I'm sure americans wouldn't like US EY or russians wouldn't like RUSHA. So why should Colombians have to deal with it? ColUmbia is a district and a few other places but not the country. Not only that but Colombia is SO underestimated. Ignorant people think its all drugs and violence. In reality, its beautiful. The people are so warm and friendly, the food is very diverse and delicious. The country needs more respect. This shows that the world doesn't even care enough for this country to respect its name. People need to see the new Colombia.

• Stupidity must end

People should simply know how to spell correctly. The poster of this debate said that people spell "COLOMBIA" wrong, therefore it can only mean the country. I don't find it offensive but when multiple people continuously spell it wrong, sometimes even in the captions of some picture that has the name of the country writen correctly, which they obviously had to read to check the photo and STILL manage to spell it wrong, it is just downright stupid.

• I find really offensive that some people don't even bother.

Colombia and many other Latin American countries give way too much to first world nations, and in my opinion the LEAST they can do is to give proper recognition to this countries, starting by properly spelling their names. It's really annoying! Also, how come they don't teach basic stuff to children at school? Or why don't they even bother to confirm before saying it, writing it, etc.

• It goes with the language

The Olympic games is a good opportunity to educate yourselves and learn how different countries are spelled differently depending on the language.!

I guess you are not complaining about the way they spell Colombia in French, German or Portuguese. Also I guess that countries like Germany are not complaining because they are not referred to as Deutchland in Spanish

• People Complaining About This Are Linguistically Ignorant

It used to bother me when people - writing in English - would spell "Colombia" with a "u." However, I eventually realized that the "u" makes sense because for English-language writers. After all, "Columbia" originates from "Columbus," as "Colombia" originates from "Colon" or "Colombo." The root and the meaning are the same in both languages. I'm almost certain that, in Spanish, "British Columbia" is written as "Colombia Britanica." I'm sure they don't write "Columbia Britanica." Do I hear anyone complaining about that? Or that "New York" is called "Nueva York"? Frankly, I would think that Colombia has more important things to worry about.

• Tired of Branding

The issue is one of identity and branding. Colombians want to assert their identity and make a name for themselves. In that respect, I can see that they are annoyed by misspellings. However, from a non-Colombian point of view, this annoyance seems petty (based on an inferiority complex?). With some major languages (e.G., English, German) naming the places that Columbus visited after him with a "u," it should not cause so much posturing and annoyance when ignorant and well-meaning foreigners misspell the darn name (I say darn, because if I were a Colombian, I'd rather not be named after a historical figure with such a track record of cruelty).

• It isn't that offensive at all

Confusing Colombia and Columbia is a really easy mistake to make. I wouldn't be annoyed if a Spanish person called the United States the United Estates, I might find it funny for a second, but I wouldn't think that meant they were ignorant about the country.

The only reason it's spelt differently is to distinguish the two, they are pronounced EXACTLY the same. Hispanic people should be more annoyed when they confuse a ver/ haber, which is a far worse mistake than this one I think.

Even though they refer to different things, they have the exact same sense, "land of Columbus", so it's not like we're confusing two completely different words, we know which Columbus-land we're referring to, and it's not like we're confusing Ireland and England (which as many Hispanic people do).

The French call it 'Colombie', and British Columbia 'Colombie-Britannique', and I don't see Colombian people complaining to the French about getting one letter wrong. In theory, English people should be able to call another country whatever they want. It's not about the correct 'Colombian' spelling, but the correct 'English' spelling. And Colombian people don't get annoyed when English people spell other English words wrong, so to me it just seems to be an excuse to hate on gringos.

• Colombia refers to the country

Columbia refers to a British concept I believe. We see it in Columbia pictures. Columbia is an Anglo-Norman/Roman concept so it's not the same at all. Very different things altogether. Remember that. Colombia is the name the Spanish gave to the new nation. We can argue some Native American roots too.

• It doesn't sound offensive

I've seen it both ways. It doesn't seem offensive if a lot f people in the world spell it wrong. It has been mentioned in both ways.They are both used. There is a Colombia and a District of Columbia in the United States. I don't see a problem with this for those who see it as Colombia and those who see it for Columbia.

• There are different spellings.

Colombia as in the country is spelled "colombia". There's that. However, the poster of this poll does not imply which "colu(o)mbia" we are talking about. If they mean only the country, then the answer is "yes", but that is not implied, so "no".

Different spellings include the District of Columbia in the United States. There are also many other states called columbia in places like Kentucky and Maine.