Are you vegetarian/vegan (Pro) or a meat eater (Con)?

Asked by: Fkkize
  • We are above the exploitation of animals.

It doesn't matter that other animals kill other animals to eat them. Humans are much more advanced than that. Also you can never say you raise something all good and everything just to kill it and then call it humane. Eating the flesh of an animal is a type of perversion. We do not need to systematically oppress animals and kill 15 billion of them per year. Also, if we can't live without meat, then how do thousands of vegetarians and vegans do it every day?

• We don't need mets to survive anymore

Humans are omnivores. There's no denying that. But we do have the ability to have a healthy meatless diet. Being vegetarian decreases your risk for getting heart disease by 50% and cancer. Innocent animals shouldn't be killed so I can enjoy their flesh for one minute. Animals have families. Mommy pigs have a name for each of their piglets-a distinctive oink. Factory farms today keep animals caged up. They are beaten and birds are dumped into boiling water alive

• Are we really designed to eat meat?

People say that we are designed to eat meat with our canines and all, but think of a gorilla, they have HUGE canines and they are true herbivores. Same as camels, hippos, the saber toothed deer etc. and unlike tigers (the ultimate carnivore) we don't have claws.

Anti- vegans argue that instead of being born with claws, humans are born with a different strategy; free will. Us humans have the intelligence to make what we need to survive instead of being born with it. I tell them; that when the first people who came to earth ate only veggies and fruit they seemed fine for the first few millions of years, we didn't eat meat at all. The anti-vegans said: then why did it happen? How did we learn to eat meat at all? I would say: we probably saw it from other animals and decided to give it a whirl. We discovered that our stomach churns at the thought of raw bloody meat (what true carnivores actually eat) and wanted to cook it. We kept eating it because it tasted good.

Sugar, us humans MUST be designed to eat it it because it tastes good right? Wrong.

• It's all about Ethics

An appeal to nature has never shown anything. Sure "nature designed" us to be able to eat meat but it also designed us to kill each other, to rape, tosteal and to fight extinction wars, all of which are also done by chimps.
    Usually If we were somehow showing animal behavior we would be called uncivilized and primitive but when it comes to moral guidance People seem to like to get it from the beastly livves of animals.
    On average vegetarians live 7-9 years longer and have 8-9 more IQ Points, take from that what you want but one certainly does not Need meat to "function".

• Number of animals killed for meat per hour in the U.S.: 660,000

Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million

Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million

Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20

Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95

Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90

How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds

Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000

Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250

Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75

Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85

Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet: 260 million

Percentage of Central American children under the age of five who are undernourished: 75

Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses: 1,000 per year

Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times

For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times

For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times

Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. Sparingly or not at all: 3.6

Most common cause of death in the U.S.: heart attack

How frequently a heart attack kills in the U.S.: every 45 seconds

Average U.S. man’s risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent

Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat: 15 percent

Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent

Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent

User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S.: livestock production

Amount of water used in production of the average cow: sufficient to float a destroyer

Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25

Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000

Years the world’s known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13

Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260

Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78

To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2

Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by U.S. that is devoted to the production of livestock: 33

Percentage of all raw materials consumed by the U.S. needed to produce a complete vegetarian diet: 2

Occupation with highest turnover rate in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker

Occupation with highest rate of on-the-job-injury in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker

• Vegetarianism is unhealthy

I am an omnivore, it is natural for humans to be omnivores.
    I see a lot of people arguing that we are "past" needing meat, this simply isn't true vegetarianism is unhealthy, fruits,vegetables,etc. Don't supply you with all of the nutrients and minerals that you need to have a balanced diet.

• Sorry about that...

I'm a meat eater and I have to say I always feel a little guilty about it... I mean, I mainly eat meat for two reasons: 1. I lack the willpower to become a vegetarian (it's pathetic, I know) and 2. Personally, I NEED MEAT. I come from a family of omnivores and if I haven't had meat in a few days I just need that hamburger.

• We were designed that way

We were designed by nature to be carnivores. Our digestive system is able to digest meat. Our canines and incisors are designed to tear and cut food such as meat. There is evidence of people eating meat back a million years ago. Our body needs the nutrients in the meat to function.

• Eating meat means less suffering

I was convinced by an argument I read that showed to me that farming animals and consuming them is not morally wrong. Their argument goes like this:

The main reason why we don't want to eat animals (other than health) is because we don't want to cause suffering to an animal. Now, he made the distinction between pain and suffering. Pain is a fact of life. Everyone experiences it and even the most well taken care of individual will encounter pain. However, we can reduce suffering.

We don't want animals to suffer. Unfortunately, most animals die in the wild by being eaten alive by other animals or by diseases that aren't treated and that don't heal.

So, I believe that farming (good, ethical farming! Make note of that! Not horrid farming that fattens animals up to the point they are in pain.) can be ethically done. How? You can reduce the suffering of animals by giving them the green pasture that they need to survive, by feeding them food that they like and that's healthy for them, by giving them regularly veterinary visits to make sure they don't get diseases and if they do, get the diseases treated. Now, I think living in a pasture and in a barn is a much nicer life than it would be to live as part of a large herd and dying a slow and painful death by another carnivorous animal.

Finally, when it comes to actually butchering animals - these animals receive a small electric shock that does kill them. However, it is momentary and is potentially the only suffering they would ever encounter in their entire lives in comparison to living in the wild.

• It is all about how we get the meat

As it has been said humans are omnivores and yes, we can decide to stop eating meat. I know that every creature on Earth has a father and a mother but it is also true that since the day we are born we are one step closer to our death. It is a hard truth to accept but that is the way things are, it is the cycle of life : eagles eat snakes, snakes it mice and mice eat plants. We, as Earth creatures, have the right to eat meat, but we also have the duty to respect the animals and their suffering.

A lion only kills a zebra to eat it and that is what we humans must also do. I am a meat eater but I only buy my meat from industries which treat their cattle with mercy. Cows must not be confined to live in tiny cages nor chickens should be taken their feathers alive. At the end of the day it is you who decides to be a cruel man or not, and this has nothing to do with your type of diet.

• Meat is good...

I'm not apologizing for eating meat. If you want to be vegetarian/vegan/whatever, then you're perfectly free to do so. However, I don't like to be told that my actions are immoral, or that I am incapable of "truly loving animals" by one of the aforementioned people. And yes, I have been told that I do not love my kitten because I eat hamburgers. I'm sorry*, but what?

*I'm not actually sorry, just in disbelief that anyone would have the audacity to say that

• We depend on animals and they depend on us. Simple as that.

For the majority of animals out there, without the shelter, and food we give them, they could not survive in the wild. Pigeons would die off if the major cities just disappeared, since they rely off of our food waste. We have domesticated them, therefore, it is perfectly fine to use them as a food source. And if you still feel as though this does not make sense, there is something called the food chain. And since we are also animals (Shocker!) we are apart of it. It is in our nature to do this, and it is just the way the earth has worked since the 4.54 billion years. So if you think it is morally wrong to eat a living thing, guess what, I bet that animal eats other living things too! It is not unethical but instead is something called "survival". And yes we do not need to eat meat to survive, but it supplies important proteins that will help us survive even better!

• I'm sorry. I love the taste of death.

^^ Had to put a Simpsons quote. Make a fast food chain of cheap vegan burgers and vege/fruit goodies and I'll eat less meat based products. I can't give it up though. I've got a taste for it and BBQ sauce is so so good.

Compromise.... Encourage the consumption of lab made meats (which should be cruelty free) and no animals need be harmed ever again. ^^

1.) Tasty (people are short sighted)
    2.) Cheap (got family to feed)
    3.) Filling (should not still feel hungry)
    4.) Readily available (we're American. We're busy mate)

Can't do the above then I s'pose we'll have Soylant Greens for all.

mulan182 says2015-03-20T18:20:31.280
I've always wanted to ask this publically. Is vegetarianism/veganism only about ethics/health/environment? Or is it about the phobia of having a dead animal in your mouth? I bet crickets and ants taste great and are loaded with vitamins, but I would never eat either because they creep me out. So do all fish/seafood.