• I agree, but..

I agree to all the points put forth saying that it's inhumane to hold animals captive when they should be in the wild, where they belong, in their natural habitat. This led me to think about another derivative question: Is it not inhumane to consume meat? Doesn't this go against most of the points we have made here?

• Zoos are not their natural habitat.

Animals are taken from their natural habitats and put into caged places, with limited experience that animals in their natural habitat would obtain. They are enclosed in confined spaces that are not where they are supposed to be so we can gawk at them like we have never seen an animal before. The definition of inhumane is "without compassion for misery of suffering". I think that taking an animal from where they are supposed to be, their HOME, is not very compassionate. In zoos, animals don't learn about survival instincts. They get used to the presence of people and other animals. They don't learn how to hunt for their food. They don't get to exercise like they should. Zoos cannot replicate running around in open woods, fields, ectera. They don't have the survival skills that a normal animal in the wild would. Zoos uproot animals from their homes, and take them to cages so people can gawk at them. That is inhumane. Defiantly.

• Purposefully trapping an animal so that people can come and look at it is inhumane.

First of all, as humans, it is our job as the dominant species of intelligent beings to take care of ourselves while taking care of our Earth. Animals are a resource for us but they have feelings and can feel pain, fear, and love just like we can. Inhumane by definition is "without compassion for misery or suffering". If a zoos purpose is purely to cage animals so that people can come and observe them it is inhumane. Zoos can never replicate the wilderness where an animal will be most happy. Exception is when a zoos primary focus is rehablilitation or breeding of endangered species and attracting visitors comes second to that.

• It's animal prison, and they did nothing wrong.

A zoo is literally animals being locked up and people coming around and pointing at them, staring at them, and shouting at them to do stuff. This happens for about eight hours a day. Animals are supposed to be out in the wild. Even humans don't like being captured and locked up, and the only time we are locked up is when we do something wrong and go to prison, or we're being kidnapped, and neither of those things are good, so why should we do it to animals?

• Inlets just say if I was a n animal, I wouldn't like it....

Since animals aren't human per say, I wouldn't call zoos "Inhumane", however they operate by taking creatures from their natural habitat, incarcerating them and putting them up for display, literally. That's what happens. So the question is. Do you think this is fair to the animals? To answer this, I have to ask myself; If I was a monkey, would I like to be yanked from my family and then taken to a zoo in a much smaller artificial habitat so I could be watched eight hours or so a day. The answer is no. That sounds like something I would not enjoy.

• Are creatures have the same right as each other

Zoos are inhumane. All organisms have the moral right to live freely. They shouldn't be caged. It isn't right. It would be like caging innocent humans. We cage the humans who have done a wrong, but it is wrong to cage animals like they are below us. All the animals should live freely just like humans do.

• I'd say so

I'm kind of in the middle with this one but verging towards Yes and here's why. Animals are born to be free, roam in the wild, do as they please, not to be held captive in small enclosures or cages for people to gawp at as they walk by. You wouldn't stick a human in an empty room for the rest of his/her life, feeding it next to nothing, with hardly any inter-species interaction. The only good thing I can see about zoos is that if the species is endangered then yes by all means capture a few, breed them till they are plentiful. Of course it's never going to be that simple but some zoos to operate a breeding programme. So what I'd say is no they are not humane. Take a tiger for example. In the wild such an animal would run around for hours, hunting, playing, etc. But in a zoo this poor tiger has nothing to do but lie there, stare at people and eat food. What kind of a life is that?

• H h h

H g g f d d d d d d s s a a a a s d d f f f f f f f f f f g g t h t d g f s fd s f ds f ds f sd f sd f d f d

• Nugeta nugeta nugeta

Nugeta nugeta peta bread leldleleld nugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugetanugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta nugeta

• Animals are living beings and deserve decent treatment

Animals aren't things for eating or "using". They exist on their own and should be respected. Zoos are honestly like prisons and though animal "education" is a great goal - zoos are not the place to do it. People invariably neglect animals in zoos. Humans are - by nature - not to be trusted in institutional settings such as zoos.
    Check out: http://www.peta.org/features/zoo-animal-abuse/- there is so much more - the last time I took my child to a zoo I felt physically ill looking at some of these cages where animals live. End all zoos!!!!!

• I don't really think so

Animals aren't in zoos just for people to look at. Some zoos keep animals that wouldn't survive in the wild due to injury/illness, endangerment etc. Lots of animals are also bred in zoos which can greatly help endangered species. Also, most zoos treat their animals with lots of care, and they make sure the animals are happy and healthy.

• Zoos Save Animals!

Zoos were created not only to grow an education for those who want to learn more about animals, they also keep animals safe. What about the elephants, the ones being brutally killed ONLY for their tusks of ivory. I would say that is way more inhumane than housing a few elephants for educational and preservation purposes. Non-profit zoos, Like the one in St. Louis, do not charge admission, rather it gets its funding from generous donations and grants. Zoos were established mainly to help those species that were in critical danger of ceasing to exist. Zoos take excellent care of their animals. The mission is not to keep the animals as "inmates", but rather to keep them safe and thriving. Studies have proven that most animals that have been born and raised in a zoo, actually live longer and healthier lives. Also, the zoos take steps to make sure that although the animals are in captivity, they remain eating, drinking, and using the same things they would if they were in the wild. Also, zoos have established groundbreaking findings that allow humans who care about the preservation of animals and nature to research, study, and find courses of action to take to ensure the preservation adn conservation of the animals and plant life.

• Let them free

Just let them free ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! ! !! ! !! ! !

• There are good zoos and bad zoos.

Yes, some zoos are cruel to their animals and see them only as a means of profit. These zoos must be boycotted and called on to change their practices. However, there are also zoos who see their animals as a way of educating the public about wildlife and the importance of conservation. They are also involved in breeding and conservation programs themselves.

• Damaging zoo business is worse

As far as I know, zoos are past the stage of needing to kidnap animals and the animals they now have were bred in captivity (if this is wrong please let me know). I know that zoo enclosures are far from adequate compared to the wild, but if zoos started to decline, think what would happen. Zoos already sell their surplus animals to possibly shady dealers in the exotic meat and big game hunting industries, if zoos make less profit from visitors this will happen more. Most zoo conservation projects fail because the enclosures are too different from the wild for the released animals to excel in their natural habitats, if zoos get less business the more ethical ones that don't want to sell the animals will end up releasing more animals that aren't ready for the wild. If zoos make less money that means less money to spend on enclosures and the conditions for the animals get even worse. I'm not sure if my opinion belongs on this side of the argument, as I do think that zoos are inhumane. However, the animals trapped in zoos were doomed years ago when their ancestors were kidnapped and damaging the business of zoos only makes things worse for the captive animals. Of course, if kidnapping animals is still a thing that zoos do often then that hugely changes my opinion (as in that case damaging zoos would leave more animals in the wild which is best for them) so, as I said earlier... Please tell me if zoos still kidnap animals from the wild

• One word : Extinction

Without zoos, many of the species that are around today would have gone extinct by now. Selfish and ignorant acts done by impecunious corporate owners who only care about what is good for them destroy ecosystems and animal populations every single day. Horrible and idiotic acts done by humans have caused the need for animals to be kept in zoos so the species can still have a chance. If problems such as a growing world population and deforestation were not in play, zoos would not be as crucial to an animal's species fight against extinction as they are today. You can thank the corporate leaders we all look up to in today's world for the need of zoos.

• Zoos save animals

Zoos save animals, pure and simple; there is, however, a distinct difference between a real zoo (Bronx, San Diego, DC), and low budget zoos in poorer countries and regions. Zoos are run by scientists an help give safe environments to potentially endangered species, even, in some cases, saving the species.

• Zoos offer an opportunity for animal appreciation

While I find some zoo spaces to be too small, and restrictive, not providing a reasonable amount of comfort for the animals - I think doing away with zoos entirely would do animals in the wild a great injustice. People go to zoos to learn about different species and in many cases (not all of course) get a feeling of awe and appreciation for the majesty of other types of animals. Zoos provide a means for people to experience animals up close and attempt to learn what those animals need to survive in the wild. The hope, I think, is that people will hear about animals in the wild suffering from habitat depletion, pollution, and hunting, and an image of that sweet animal they saw at the zoo will pop into their head, will feel real to them, and make them want to take action. I think there should be strict rules governing how zoos operate, what types of animals they're allowed to house, and what kinds of habitats they provide for them. I had the opportunity when I was young to do volunteer work in my local zoo, and the experience greatly increased my love and respect for the animal kingdom.

• You're antropomorphizing animals; Zoos are Bulwark Against Extinction

I'm not going to say animals are things. They're not. They have real feelings, real perception. But it's not the same as a human's. Some animals may be psychologically bothered by being in zoos and some may not. Regardless zoos are a bulwark against extinction. They saved the California Condor. We need zoos to protect animals and keep their populations from going extinct. Animal psychologists should be consulted to make zoos better, friendlier places to the animals there, to make it feel just like home.

• H h h