As an American, are you proud that America is number one in the world?

Asked by: savvga13
  • It is so obvious

The US may be having it's troubles right now, but every major nation goes through periods of lows. I am extremely proud of my country. The US is still a very young country, less than 300 years old. The US only became the sole superpower 20 years ago after the fall of the USSR. The US is still finding it's place in the world, it is hard for a country to transition from someone no one cares about, to a country everyone cares about. Everyone throws around statistics about healthcare, income equality, etc. But I recently read an article that averaged all of those statistics. The US was #2 after averaging, and Norway was #1. These statistics didn't factor in military, land size, government owned gold, and influence. If those things were factored in I'm sure we would be #1.

• When I visit Europe now, I hide the fact that I'm American.

I live in south Florida and it seems that I am not living in America. Watching the news makes me very depressed, I get the feeling that our president is a coward and possibly dishonest and that American people are trash, for the most part. When I was a kid, baseball was the most wonderful sport. I loved to listen to the Redsox on the radio. People cared about each other back then. Now, baseball and all other sports is just a business and the players only care about who will pay them the most. American people are rude on the highways and on the public streets and places. Australia is now the old, good America. Our soldiers are dying in vain. Half of all Americans speak with a heavy accent. America is gone.

• As an American soldier I'm very proud!

I'm proud that we live in this country where we can have this debate without being monitored by government officials. I'm proud that as an American I have more rights than most people will ever know. I'm proud that as a US Army soldier I can proudly serve my nation and it's people even if they are not proud to live in a free nation.

• I'm proud of America,

I'm proud we have the most civil rights of the world, and proud we have democratic republic as our form of government, not a parliament which is clearly oligarchy at it's best. I'm proud America holds the most Billionaires, and most Millionaires. I'm not proud of our government at times. I'm not proud of our duopoly on politics, I'm not proud of how we pay for Europe's military spending virtually. I'm not proud that we joined the UN. I'm not proud of our shortcomings, but I'm no doubt proud of America, the land, not the people.

• America Is Not #1

We’re 7th in literacy, 27th in math, 22nd in science, 49th in life expectancy, 178th in infant mortality, third in median household income, number four in labor force and number four in exports. We lead the world in only three categories. Number of incarcerated citizens per capita, number of adults who believe angels are real and defense spending..."

America ranks 13th in starting a business, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.
    The U.S. Ranks 47th in press freedom, according to Reporters Without Borders. So much for freedom of the press.
    The U.S. Ranks 20th in international trade, according to the Doing Business rankings compiled by The World Bank.
    The U.S., which ranks 15th in dealing with debt insolvency according to the Doing Business rankings.
    The U.S. Is ranked 10th in economic freedom, according to The Heritage Foundation and The Wall Street Journal.
    The U.S. Is 25th among 43 developing countries for the best place to be a mother, according to Save The Children.
    The U.S. Is only the 11th happiest country in the world, according Columbia University's Earth Institute.
    There are 21 countries better than America in freedom from corruption, according to Heritage.Org.
    The U.S. Was ranked 24th in perceived honesty, according to Transparency.Org.
    America is ranked 39th in income inequality according to the CIA World Factbook.
    The U.S. Is only 47th in infant survival? That's true, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    Want to live a long life? Don't live in the U.S., which is 50th in life expectancy according to the CIA World Factbook.
    How well is our economy growing? The U.S. GDP growth rate is ranked 169th out of 216 countries, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    Our GDP per capita is only 12th in the world, behind Qatar and Liechtenstein, says the CIA World Factbook.
    Our unemployment percentage is worse than 102 of the 200 countries listed by the CIA World Factbook.
    The U.S. Is an embarrassing 142nd out of 150 countries in infrastructure investment, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    America's budget deficit is ranked 192nd in debt relative to GDP, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    The growth rate of our industrial production is ranked 79th, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    The U.S. Is only 11th in oil exports, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    Our oil reserves is only the 13th most in the world, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    The U.S. Is ranked 192nd, dead last, in the net trade of goods and services, according to the CIA World Factbook.
    Our reserve of foreign exchange and gold is ranked 19th, according to the CIA World Factbook, right behind Indonesia.
    In terms of the percentage of women holding public office, the U.S. Ranks 79th out of 147 countries, says the IPU.

So in conclusion America is obviously not the best country in the world. At All.

Read more: http://www.Businessinsider.Com/here-are-25-more-signs-that-america-is-not-1-2012-6#ixzz2VyXIV9Gw

• I'm Proud, But We Aren't Number One

I'm proud of my country, and I love it enough to criticize it. Unfortunately, we are not number one in the areas that count, and we rank too high in areas that we shouldn't. For instance, according to the BBC (among developed countries), we rank #2 in teen pregnancy, and #19 for best health care. We rank #1 in obesity rates, and our educational system ranks #17. I'm not saying that we don't have a lot going for us here in the US, but it is arrogant to claim that we are #1.

• I would say yes, if America actually was the overall #1 in the world.

America is not number one. Neither is any other country, for that matter, as ranking is based entirely on perspective. I could easily say North Korea is the number one country in world. Is that true? It cannot be accurately judged because there is no system or way to rate a country as better of worse than another.

• America isn't the Greatest

• No, but I'm not ashamed either

Being American to me is simply a state of being. I'm neither ashamed nor proud of my country and my people. Just like I love the family I did not choose to be born into unconditionally, so I love the country I did not choose to be born into unconditionally. I am able to see both the strengths and the weaknesses of my country and culture. I find people who can either only see the strengths or only see the weaknesses as equally naive.

Rhett_Butler says2013-06-11T03:21:21.233
Trick question?
gt4o2007 says2013-06-11T07:05:04.897
#1 in the world for?
Alexandir says2013-06-11T10:02:30.177
That's quite a bold statement...
JohnnyC says2013-06-11T13:37:37.810
HAHA I get it... Because it's a bold eagle in the photo. Alex, you top joker.
But being serious, number one in what?
savvga13 says2013-06-11T19:09:53.947
Number one in the world for military. For the right to intervene in other countries.