Assisted suicide: Is euthanasia justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient?

• Just Do It. NIKE

Its not our place to make decisions for the patient . If a patient wants to die, who are we to tell them that we must keep them alive. Pursuit of happiness. As long as they are not hurting or disrupting others then they should be allowed the right to die, just like the right to live.

• Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient. Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient.

Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient. Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient. I think this should be up to the families, the patient and the doctor. I think it is wrong that we would allow anyone to suffer that has no other options left. I do not think anyone else should be involved.

• Yes if they want it

We should be free to make our own choices in life. If someone is truly in pain and is simply waiting to die anyway they should have the right to seek assistance in ending their life peacefully. As long as they agree in soud mind I do not see an issue with it

• Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient.

Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient. I think this should be up to the families, the patient and the doctor. I think it is wrong that we would allow anyone to suffer that has no other options left. I do not think anyone else should be involved.

• Yes it is.

Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient. The truth is that they are going to die anyway so why not let them die painlessly and in peace. When a dog or cat gets so ill that they are suffering, we "put them down". Don't humans deserve this as well?

• A good person should not suffer.

I can't help but think of Dr. Jack Kevorkian when I think of this question. I personally think Doc Kevorkian was definitely NOT a killer, and simply ending good peoples suffering. If someone is a vegetable, literally on their death bed, and wanting to go, they should be able to make this decision.

• Let people die with dignity.

Euthanasia is justified to end the pain of a terminally ill patient if it is the patients sound choice to depart in that manner. Assisted suicide does not go against the Hippocratic oath if it is within what the patient needs to promote their well being. As much as it pains us, in some cases the patient needs the well being of departing the world in a dignified manner without prolonging their burden on their family.

• Why continue the suffering?

People who are in pain from an illness that will ultimately lead to their death should have the choice to die with dignity. If euthanasia was allowed people would be able to say goodbye to their family members and friends before deciding that it was time end their own suffering. It makes it easier on themselves and on their loved ones.

• Yes-- once quality of life disappears, there's no point in living

If a terminally ill patient is suffering from chronic, debilitating pain to the point where they're suffering-- and there's very little that pain medication or some other treatment can do to alleviate it-- then euthanasia is justified. This is because once a person's quality of life has been so severely compromised that they can barely function on a physical, mental, or emotional level, there's no point in living. Besides, there can be pain so terrible that death would actually be a merciful if not welcome relief to the person suffering it, even though it would mean having to leave their loved ones. In an extreme case like that, euthanasia would be justified.