Atheists and theists need to shut up and just get along.

Asked by: JaneDoe625
  • Please and Thank You.

I am a theist and have no problem with atheism, I just choose to believe that there is more to existence than we know. I don't use my religion to argue the validity of proven scientific theories, and I have to admit that I'm ashamed by people who use religion refuse to accept real scientific implications. I'm also baffled by people who use science to claim that there can't be any supernatural existence.

Atheists: please stop calling theists stupid or idiotic just because you don't approve of our beliefs. There are plenty of idiots within every social group; pointing out ours doesn't make yours go away.

Theists: please stop trying to shove your views into the faces of theists because of some misplaced righteousness. God cares far more about the way you treat people than he does about whether or not you won an argument.

• Why can't people get along because of what they beleive in?

People, are still people, no matter what race or belief. Opinions can be opinions, and often religions back up their religion with fact. But all religious statements are justifiable. I don't see why I can't get along with someone just because we have different beliefs. Thiests often try to force people to accept beliefs, and that is wrong. It also isn't right for athiests to call thiests stupid for their religion. So far, no one has scientificly proved if there is a god, or gods. At the same time, no one has proved a god, or gods don't exists. Both have kinds of people have made a personal descision, and if others, don't like that, they have the right to disagree, but not to hate each other.

• A great idea

This is a great idea.
    Religion is not as bad as some atheists seem to think and atheists are not a major issue for religion. There are plenty of internal issues that are impacting organized religion. So for the most part there is no reason for religion and atheists to clash.

• You can get along!

No matter the differences with each other, they should still get along! We need to come together and get over ourselves in order to build a strong and working government. It is honestly just in everyones head. If you wanted to get along you could. You find a way to feed yourself, so you can find a way to get along with another religious group.

• This would be a pretty good idea:

When two different world views mix and clash, but get along, then an exchange of ideas is bound to occur. What I hope this results in is religious people letting go of their very zelous views (anti-homosexuality and the sorts), and atheists learning that not every religious person is a moron, and hopefully learn about their beliefs in a positive light, leading to more acceptance (by that, I mean not being intellectually ridiculed) by atheists.

• Yes, yes and yes.

I am a Christian. I have friends who are Christians, atheists and agnostics and for the most part, we all get along pretty well. Now if us, a bunch of stubborn, hormonal teenagers with unnessecary angst can get along, then why can't the rest of the world. Christians were taught not to judge and to love everybody but that's what a lot of Christians are doing. Now I am not saying that we should give up our faith or anything but I am saying we should be more loving toward the rest of the world.

• A good concept.........

But it would really need some effort to make it work.
    Most atheists would have no problem with theists and really would leave them alone if they did exactly what you are asking.....That is just shut up.
    But do you really think they can.....Stop blabbing on about unsubstantiated myths...Stop trying to "convert" people....Stop abusing your children by using parental authority to brainwash them... Very important stop trying to change the law.
    Stop insulting minority groups.....Leave women alone...

They would have to keep their mouths shut on so many subjects!

I would like this to work but I don't think theist are capable of giving up that feeling of superiority they get when talking about their particular holy maniacal daddy big boss.

• I would actually love to have this

I identify myself as an atheist, but I honestly have no problem with other people putting faith in a religion. Personally, I find religion very old fashioned and foolish, but that isn't my problem. What is my problem, however, is the fact that some religious groups for some reason feel the urge to force upon everyone their own religious ideas and interests. Think tea party republicans, anti-gay groups, the Taliban, etc. What disgusts me even more is the fact that in order to get into politics in America, you have to publicize yourself as a Christian, as evidenced by the fact that every single US president so far has identified themselves as a follower of some sort of Christianity and the fact that only one member of Congress has admitted disbelief in a higher power. If religions would stop forcing their beliefs on other people, I would be perfectly happy to get along with them.

• False beliefs are dangerous

When we start accepting false beliefs(or at least unproven), such as the existence of gods, as true, we can no longer distinguish what is true and not. A tool that is very useful to the advancement of mankind. It leads to all sorts of problems when we say yes just go ahead and believe what you want.

• An atheist opinion

I am fine with getting along with catholic people. I even go to a stupid catholic school. I don't like it at all. I do dislike when religious people critizice our evidence of evolution. I find it incredibly ridiculous. What's their reason? Poof. People? What? Not all believe in creationism, I just find it difficult to be with devout religious people.

• Here's the problem:

This sounds great on paper, and I'd be all for it. Live and let live, you do you and I'll do me, and so on...

This doesn't happen in real life.

If a gay couple wants to be legally married, they might not be able to. They cannot be them.

If a couple wants to have an abortion for medical reasons, the might not be able to. They cannot be them.

If a teacher refuses to teach non-science in a science classroom, he might be forced to or get fired. He cannot be him.

Medical professionals denied teaching sex education.
    Women denied rights.
    Children denied proper education.
    People denied medical treatment in place of faith healing.

The list goes on and on.

If I were to say, hey my Christian friend, would you be okay with gay marriage, abortion, removing Christian paraphernalia from government buildings, taxing ALL religious buildings as equally as other businesses, removing creationism from the science classroom and teaching sex education, the answer would be no. I can say this with some certainty because the Christian majority is FIGHTING these issues to this day.

My Muslim friend, would you be okay with non-Muslims opting out of Sharia law, women having equal rights to learn and choose their partners as men and obtain educations, and choose who to have sex with, or, I don't know, the heinous crime of depicting your prophet? The answer would STILL be no, as the Muslim majority of many, many countries desires mandatory Sharia law, and all problems within follow suit.

You see, when two people fundamentally disagree, we simply can't get along, even if we want to.

• Atheists create conflicts with theists on the internet, theists create conflicts with theists in real life.

People should be allowed to express their beliefs and religion. People should also be allowed to express their negative feelings towards other beliefs and religions. While theists and atheists may debate a lot on the internet, in the real world, Christians of various sects will quarrel with each other about various things that really have no effect on their lives. Different religions will go as far as terrorize each other. The conflicts between atheists and theists on the internet cause no harm, unlike the conflicts between theists in real life.

• Neither can get along with each other

Atheists and theists have different and very contrast ideologies and world views. Its impossible to get along when atheists want religion out of the government while theists want the government to promote religion. 71% of all non-religious white males voted for obama while 74% of all Evangelical Christian white males voted for romney. These statistics show how different theists and atheists really are

• Shut up while I abuse you, and we'll all get along.

Religion is faith in pursuit of privilege: privileged dogma, privileged histories, privileged child-raising, privileged customs, privileged moral status, privileged legislation, privileged property ownership, privileged door-to-door advertising, privileged tax status.

So convinced is religion of its right to privilege that it thinks these are entitlements, and so corrupt is it in its pursuit of entitlement that it conflates criticism with persecution.

While it's possible to have a religious faith that claims no privilege, in practice privilege-grabbing religions displace anything else. Thus, the only way to get along *equitably* is to beat claims of privilege back.

Don't like the arguing? Stop treating ignorant faith as informed truth.

• A admirable ideal, but impossible in certain contexts

It is an admirable ideal to think that we could all live in peace, but unfortunately, there exist too many issues in which there are direct conflict. The most prominent of these is the debate of evolution in schools, with religious fundamentalists being directly opposed to it. This is understandable to them- it is a direct affront to their beliefs, but if the concepts are not taught to children, they will not be able to explore their own career options and belief systems. Part of the Mormon church system requires them to convert others to their religion, yet this is in direct conflict with many religions and the beliefs of atheists. The very nature of some religions causes conflicts with others on minor and major levels, and resolving this conflict would have to result in people renouncing all or part of their belief system, which would cause more despair than the conflict alone would.

• Quick answer, NO

As long as religious people are denying gay people the right to marry who they want.

As long as abortion isn't legal in all 50 states.

As long as creationism is rearing it's retardball head into science classrooms

As long as.... The list can go on and on. I will not shut up when stupid/unfair things are happening. I will speak as loud as I can until it's made right.

If theist could follow their own religious text, and stop insisting everyone else follow it too, maybe I could get along with them. As long as they are doing immoral things with their religion there is no way in hell I am going to just "shut up."

• Sorry, but no...

Everyone has different beliefs and different mind settings, no one thinks alike. So for something like atheists and theists getting along is near impossible if we take into account all the different ideas about nearly everything and how so many people can have different variations of it we can see why that it's a long shot for something like this to happen.