• Hitchens? Dakwins? Harris?

Anyone claiming that atheists are not biased against religion need look only at the leaders of atheism to see this clearly.

Hitchens? We poison everything? Based on a compromised historical narrative build on cheery picked, over simplified points at best? Sometimes the stretches are so outright as to push the very boundaries of integrity itself.

Dakwins? We should be classified as mental health cases? Based on the opinion he published not as academia, but as literature? Like Harry Potter?

Harris? Openly advocated a new Crusade against Islam? Hello!

And atheists turned these guys into best sellers, making them rich ...

Its one thing to disagree ... Its quite another to spuriously attack people based solely on their religion. And there are plenty, not all, but plenty of atheists who do that these days.

All white people were not racists in the 1800, but a lot of them were. The same is becoming MORE true of atheism of late.

• Some just don't read the bible nor have gone to church

I know this isn't exactly considered bias, but quite a few atheists (but not all atheists) tend to take bible verses and use them to support what they believe about christians or god's existance. The only problem is that they tend to use the way they view the bible/christianity in order to interpret those verses.

For example, I once heard someone say that Leviticus 20:13 ("If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads,") shows that christians want gay people to die/christians hate gay people when:
    1. The verse only talks about people who ACT gay, not people who ARE gay
    2. The verse is a law of ancient isreal and is intended only for isreal (leviticus is an account of ancient laws of isreal set forth "by god"), and not many christians follow the laws of ancient isreal anyway (we sometimes eat bacon)
    3. Even though the bible says acting gay is illegal, the bible also says to love everyone countless times throughout itself.

All I'm saying is that Atheists tend to look at different parts of religions such as christianity and interpret them without actually understanding the religion itself or the way the believers of the religion interpret the religion and the religion's texts itself.

• They won't see it this way but it is

Atheists always put the smokescreen of "we are only allowing people to reason for themselves."
    However, Atheists pour hate into any religious person. They call religious people stupid and dumb. They make fun of their gods via the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They only see their side of the story. That my friend, is pure bias.
    Of course, not all of them are that way. But the people who represent them are.

• Depends on what you call bias.

Some atheists look down on the religious and in a way I can understand why. If I had said that an invisible flying camel is what killed Elvis, people would think that I am insane, imagining things or just stupid. How can something that has no evidence to ever existing cause something to happen? So when people say that god created the earth, the same thoughts about the person being insane, imagining things or just stupid could come to mind of an atheist. So some atheist may be bias because of this.
    Do I think they are dumb or any such thing? No. Many are smarter than many atheists. I think they just received false information from people who also receive false information. I was once a Christian, but came to the conclusion that gods can not exist by using logic and known facts. I did not use any bias forms of information to come to the conclusion as in the theory of evolution.
    Since then, when the topic of religion comes up, I have told Christians how I came to this conclusion. Instead of listening, and understanding, they instead turned to anger, and tried to counter with one of their many programmed responses. My answers to their responses just made them even more angry to the point they stormed off. Basically, everything I said fell on deaf ears. Their own denial fueled by anger was stronger than their ability to understand the logic.
    I do form opinions about religious people but they are fair opinions. This is to say that you can form the opinion that a person looks down upon black people if they join the KKK. In no way am I saying that religious people are like the KKK but you can make a logical assumptions about people based on groups they are part of. Could this be considered bias, sure, but that would depend on what you consider bias. To me, fair assumptions are not bias.

• Not ALL of them are, but a lot of atheists treat religion like a cancer.

I personally am a Christian and several of my friends at school identify as agnostic. We are all good friends and we never discuss our beliefs, because why would we need to? However, there are so many people on the internet that legitimately treat religious ideologies and religious people like the scum of the earth.

I understand, you personally do not believe in a deity and you think that the universe can be explained using science alone. But are you really going to trample on the beliefs of others to get YOUR beliefs across? Are you no better than the Christians who shove their beliefs and values down people's throats and act oppressed when they are shot down for it?

Atheists and agnostics, I respect your beliefs. I won't bring mine up unless you bring up yours. The simple fact of the matter is that fighting fire with fire gets you nowhere. Shoving your beliefs down people's throats and getting frustrated when others do the same is highly hypocritical. We should be having intelligent discussions on religious belief rather than internet firefights. That being said, I know that not all atheists treat religion like scum. I have skeptical friends that are very accepting of my beliefs and it I believe that the world would be better if we could all just get along.

• I believe everyone is biased.

I started this question in hope that I would pass this message, which is that every person is biased. Just as a religious person would be biased against anything that goes against his beliefs, so are atheist people biased in supporting any kind of "evidence" that disproves Christianity or any other religion, even when that evidence is not substantial.

Even worse, if Jesus himself descended from the Heavens and slapped them in the face, atheists would "rationalize" this and find an alternative explanation to what just happened to them.

I am just saying that bias goes both ways, and ALL people are biased one way or another. And if anyone thinks he is not biased, then he is in denial.

• Rational thinking is not bias.

I was raised Christian, but when I learned the history behind the religion, and started actually thinking logically, I became an agnostic. That change happened when I moved past a set of biases, and considered the evidence, and dearth of evidence, logically and impartially. I still love religion. It is one of the most amazingly creative things human beings do.

Even so, I have come to the conclusion that irrational beliefs based on no physical evidence should disqualify people from all jobs that require rational, empirical thinking. No believer in a faith-based religion should be trusted with any job that requires weighing of evidence, determination of facts, or making decisions based verifiable information.

I am not saying atheism/agnosticism should be legal requirements for any of these things, only that it is foolish to trust people in these positions who buy into any illogical proposition that is unsupported by empirical evidence.

If you think I am going too far in this, answer the following questions honestly.
    1) Would you go to a doctor who said he took a class in medical school from a witch doctor who purportedly reanimated a two-day-old corpse, and the doctor said he truly believed the witch doctor actually did it?
    2) If a father said he believed his teenaged daughter when she told him she was pregnant and that an angel said God was the child’s father, would you allow that father to adopt other children?
    3) Would you invest your money in a fund administered by a financial analyst whose hobby is tracking down leprechauns and taking their pots of gold?
    4) Would you favor the hiring a school teacher who said that Grimms’ Fairy Tales and Greek mythology are historical events that happened the same way in history as in the stories?
    5) If your friend said that a stranger came up to him/her and said, “God told me to tell you to give me your car,” and your friend gave away the car, would you allow this person to run your business, babysit, or housesit for you?
    6) Would you vote for a politician who said he believed it when his son/daughter/spouse told him they had been abducted by aliens or been victimize by a succubus/incubus?
    7) Would you hire a lawyer who believed the “Ancient Astronaut Theorists” on Ancient Aliens are correctly assessing historical mysteries?

• Are you biased against the flying spaghetti monster?

We are not anti-theist, we are atheist. We look at your beliefs the same way you look at greek, roman, norse, and egyptian mythologies. They're cute stories, but that's all they are. Which is kind of weird because most of christianity is taken from pagan traditions.

Believe what you want, but don't force your beliefs onto others. No one is forcing you to adhere to the words of the almighty flying spaghetti monster.

If you think someone is being biased towards you because of your religion, think how you would act to them if they said they talk to an invisible leprechaun every night before they go to bed.

• Yes and no frankly,

In the case of Christopher Hitchens, in the book god is not great, he explains that in fact in his childhood, he was raised as a Christian. He saw fact and reason and developed his own opinion. His actions and beliefs were derived against what one would expect to be his bias. Another example is Bill Maher, in his documentary Religulous, in which he explains that he also grew up catholic, raised in a catholic school. Not all atheists were raised by atheists, or had and event in their life which poised them against religion. Most of them simply formed their own philosophy devoid of previous bias. So well it's fair to say some may very well be, I can thoroughly state that all are not.

• Does abstaining imply bias now?

I had no idea. Simply declining to do something must mean you possess some sort of bias against it.

I'm a peanut-butter and jelly guy, that must mean I have a bias against ham and cheese.

I like ketchup on my hot dogs, so I suppose that implies I hate people who use mustard.

I prefer stick-shift as opposed to automatic, brunettes over blondes, PC over Apple, and werewolves over vampires. Man, I never realized how many things I apparently must hate by simply existing...

Let's be real, there are plenty of those who actively stand against religion, but unlike religions, atheists don't possess any sort of leadership, it's not a group (in the unified sense), and we don't have designated speakers.

Simply because a public debater and I are both Atheists is no more of a (ironically very prejudice) correlation than he and I wearing a blue shirt. Which in some people's book means we must collectively hate orange.

As I would say to anyone trying to pull out a prejudice card in defense of a claim that can't stand up for itself:

Put it back in the deck.

• I don't think so

It depends on the religion look at the modern religions some of them have taken over other religions. Just like humans religions are also evolving and modernizing. I know that for a fact that some of the religions don't exist from the past. Just like fashions some religions die. If you don't believe in god then you don't. Religion is being more biased when they try to prove god exist. I have been stopped at my front door steps where a person was trying to prove god was real. I didn't say anything. I didn't want to offend that person. I am not a atheist and sometimes I think there is a god. I have confusion all the time. That is for me to figure out. Even if god did create humanity all I can say is he didn't force people to believe in him. So before I leave and you see a atheist, just because he believes there are no gods. Nor do you believe that there are gods. Both sides will always rage a war and that is what separates some people. Remember one thing if god is soo great then why are you being forced to believe he is real?

• Kinda, But Not Really.

Obviously atheists reject the myriad and extraordinary claims made by religion. But this is less about the claims being strictly religious and more about the complete and utter lack of corroborating evidence for them. Evidence is the common theme among atheists and non-believers, it just so happens that religion most actively and loudly makes the most number of unscientifically supported claims, and often with devastating results.

You could also argue that atheists are biased against ghost sightings, fairies, unicorns, dragons, and merpeople. None of these are necessarily religious, but all of them carry the same amount of evidence for their existence as religions do for their gods and demons. It's not the fault of the atheist that persons or organizations making their very significant claims, in this case religious claims, about the nature of the universe while consistently failing to provide any evidence for them.

Atheists are biased against lack of evidence. It just so happens that religion loudly and repeatedly fits the bill.

• Atheists are not biased against religion

I can assert that atheists are not biased against religion on the grounds that I am an atheist and don't particularly hate any religion. While, religion has perpetrated numerous crimes against humanity in the past, usually it was a perversion of their beliefs that lead to the action. Theists typically mean well in there efforts because they truly believe in what they do...I just wish they didn't threaten me with hellfire every time the topic comes up. I have many Theist friends I meet with everyday and we never argue ever or throw threats. Furthermore, I think the "fear/hate" if you can call it that of atheists mainly stems from the idea that we are trying to get theists to abandon their god(s). Which, that isn't the case. Most of us could care less about who or what you believe. We just don't like the concept of ethnocentrism being as predominant as it is in modern society.

• This is funny

It's kind of funny to see the atheist and anti-theist confused. I don't believe in a god, but the only people I am really biased against are the people with biases (I am content with hypocrisy in this matter).
    Christians have their complete radicals and complete jerks (Westboro?) but I know that they aren't all like that. I have friends who are Christian who respect my belief as I do theirs. (We argue sometimes) I think as a general rule many atheist aren't against religion, but of the restrictive power that is sometimes placed on it. (The people who claim evolution and such aren't real.) So to put it simply: I am not biased against religion, I am biased against the radicals of any religion. (Anti-theist included.)