Attorney-Client Privilege: Does the attorney-client ensure clients give lawyers the full story?

• I think it does.

I don't always agree with attorney-client privilege because I think it is wrong that you have to defend somebody if you know that they are guilty of the crime. However, the attorney-client privilege does give the defendant some assurances that they can give their lawyer the whole story and it will not be held against them.

• Yes it does.

The attorney client privilege makes sure that the client gives their lawyer the full story. This is because they can say that they committed a murder or any other crime, and not have to worry about their lawyer telling anyone. Without this, the person who is on trial would never tell the truth.

• Yes, the attorney-client privilege gives lawyers the full story.

Because of the attorney-client privilege clients feel that they may speak openly with their attorney. This requirement ensures the defendant that what they speak to their lawyer about in private will stay private. Thus, the client will be more inclined to share the full story with their attorney than if things were any other way.

• No, it is a travesty.

The attorney client privilege serves no purpose except to protect the client from conviction. The attorney is not a priest or even a therapist, and when he or she knows something bad that can not be used against the client, the truth is not being served and the law is being made mockery of.

• Clients still may not tell all the details

No, I do not believe that attorney-client privilege ensures that the full story is disclosed. Those that are charged in a crime may not want their lawyer to look at them in a different light, so they may not be inclined to tell the full story. They may think if the lawyer knows I am guilty, he or she may not fight as hard to win the case.

• Attorney-Client Privilege Ensures Nothing

In reality, clients won't always give their attorneys the full story, even with attorney-client privileges. Even though a person can't be incriminated by their own attorney, many guilty criminals still aren't willing to admit their guilt to that person. They don't have any responsibility to do so either, since that would incriminate themselves.

• I think that the Attorney-Client Privilege might now give the full story

The Attorney-Client Privilege can be used to allow a client to disclose a number of things, however I don't think that this guarantees that it will be used to make sure that the client would give every detail to a lawyer depending on the situation, and the content of their story.