Authors peddle ugly food: Do people care too much about how food looks?

• People don't want to eat ugly food

I don't eat ugly food because it looks gross and i don't care for gross looking food because it may contain poison which could end up making you sick and unhealthy and this could cause you to miss school, work, practice, quilting club, alcohol anonymous and church by being sick you could get sicker and die all because you ate a ugly piece of food.

• Yes, I think so.

About a third of the planet’s food goes to waste, often because of its looks. That’s enough to feed two billion people. Supermarkets have always been free to set their own standards, of course, but in recent years upscale grocers have started running their produce departments like beauty pageants, responding to customers, they say, who expect only platonically ideal produce: apples round and shiny, asparagus straight and tightly budded.

• Yes, people believe ugly food is bad

Shown through how many people shop big corporations instead of local markets, people genuinely care about the appearance of their food. They believe that since it looks better, it must taste better but when in reality, perfect looking food is usually full of hormones and pesticides and mutations. Locally grown food that may not be as pretty is better tasting and better for you.

• It is art.

The food industry is as much about entertainment as it is about eating. When people go out to dinner, they go for the experience. They go for good food as much as for good service. Seeing food that looks appealing is just as much a part of the experience as what the food actually is.

• No I don't think most people care too much about how food looks

Overall I don't think the vast majority worry at all about how their food looks. We eat all sorts of dodgy fast food which is dripping in fat and looks nothing like the nice photos companies take. Some people may be bothered but I think for most the appearance is only important when in a posh restaurant.