• Diagnostic rates have increased significantly.

In the 90's the diagnostic rates in autism was 3 in every 10,000 children. It has not increased to 6 in 1000. That is so, so much higher.

Many very normal and healthy children are being needlessly diagnosed to get academic support and also because parents want something to blame other than themselves for their children problems.

Those who have true Autism are being negatively affected by the over diagnosis.

• Yes, it may be, but only time will tell.

There have been some recent controversial opinion pieces that autism is being overdiagnosed, especially in the young. It's argued children are "outgrowing" the diagnosis, and if that's true, then they didn't have it in the first place. Others argue that it's becoming more prevalent. Personally, I think it's too soon to know if it's being overdiagnosed since researchers are only beginning to learn about autism, but it does sound like Asperger’s, which is on the highest functioning end of the spectrum, may be being overdiagnosed.

• Over diagnosis is very likely

There are many tests which are still evolving so there is no single accepted method of demonstrating that someone has autism. Given that a diagnosis can enable some parents to blame problems with their child on this condition that they don't want to face up to it may be that pressure form some parents is pushing assessors to say that someone is autistic when it may be some other personality trait that is at the root of the problems. There is a need for much more research rather than assuming that those claiming that autism is as common as 1% of the population. That figure seems to be far too high. If this is indeed true then over diagnosis will mean that limited resources will be spread very thinly and those who need support are far less likely to get the help. What is needed is more thorough research to discover the actual situation.

• Yes, I think Autism is being over-diagnosed.

I think that because we still are unsure of many aspects of Autism that doctors are still unclear on how exactly to identify people who have it so they are over-diagnosing people with it, I think over time as our detection methods get better then we will be able to reduce the amount of bad diagnoses.

• No, it is not.

What people don't seem to understand is that autism is wider ranging than we originally realized. There is a wide range on the autism spectrum, from aspergers to down syndrome. That is a big reason why diagnoses are at higher number than they used to be. It's important that people are aware of this.

• No, autism is needs to be recognized.

No, I do not think autism is being over-diagnosed. It is absolutely essential that children with autism receive care as young as possible. Unless a person has lived with an autistic child, it is impossible to convey the pain and despair a family goes through. I believe autism is increasing and we need to continue to diagnose it as early as possible.

• It's not at all

The autism spectrum(and it's effects) are huge, and it varies infinitely from mostly functioning to the not high functioning. Consider too that before recently it wasn't talked about/believed in and as a result schools and parents were cruel towards it(especially schools) even more so for higher functioning kids who stick out.

• No??? ???? ?

Like, diagnosis does not vary. Doctors are trained. They don't just go into work one day and say, "hey guys fancy misdiagnosing a bunch of kids today?".
    Also I think it's worth to note that underdiagnosis would be far worse than overdiagnosis. Yet people are only concerned by the thought that somewhere out there there is a child "unfairly" getting "special treatment" because of a disorder they struggle with, rather than the actual problem that is children struggling with a disorder because they haven't been diagnosed and so cannot get proper treatment.

But anyway, whatever, I can clearly see what half the people's priorities are.
    (Hint: it's the fact that other people being diagnosed doesn't benefit them enough so they want a reason to whine about it)

• No, autism is not being over-diagnosed.

While the ratio of diagnoses are going up, I believe that this is because more people are realizing that there is more than the simple "classic" autism case; nonverbal and unable to function by themselves. They are realizing that there are people who are higher functioning. I have an I.Q. Above 160 (Einstein level), but I have problems every day. The only difference is that I can talk and learn how to take care of myself. That doesn't mean I don't have autism.

• Children with markers of autism need the extra support.

Children with markers of autism who are not provided with the social-emotional-developmental support they need are likely to slip through the cracks of the educational system. It does not matter what the rate of diagnosis is so long as we get these kids the support they need so that they can grow up with greater potential to succeed.