Average civilians do not require assault weapons

Asked by: ladiesman
  • It is impractical

The practical uses of firearms (e.G. Hunting and self-defense) can easily be done with the use of pistols, shotguns and rifles. Incidentally, handguns are most recommended for self-defense. Unless you are military or law enforcement, one does not need a firearm that can fire hundreds of rounds per minute. What will you use it for?

• Why do you need them.

Why on earth do you need them. I think all semi automatic and full automatic weapons need to be reserved for only military and i would say police but the way they have been acting recently with all these murders i do not know, but no your typical american citizen needs a assault weapon.

• In a word, yes.

You really need to educate yourself about this. If you read what our founding fathers wrote about the second amendment, you would realize that it was their intention to allow people to be as well armed as the government. Back in the day, muskets were the equivalent of today's assault rifles. Our founders wanted us to be able to resist a corrupt government. We cannot do that unless we are well armed.

• Civilians just don't need them.

Citizens do not need automatic weapons because they present an unnecessary danger for stolen weapons, accidents, and other unfortunate things. This is because a fully automatic weapon opens the door for more violent and extreme crime, and that is a major problem for the health of cities and modern America.

• Yes and no

Guns for hunting and military purposes i have no problem with. Since civilians can get ahold of these weapons, they can and always will go into the wrong hands and thats where these "gangsters" kill off one another just for a few ounces of crack and weed. I wouldsay no because the military needs to be able to protect all of us and instead of having all of these hood people buy them from us and kill each other while others are protecting them.

• Civilians don't need weapons

First of all there is a chance 1 out of 100 that average civilians will ever get in a situation where they would need to use assault weapons. Second of all I believe that assault weapons are necessary to use in the general public, because if you are just walking casually down the street there is a 0.5% chance someone will jump out and mug you. In this situation you might need to use assault weapons but like I said there is a low chance of that

• Civilians Don't Require Them

Now that I at least know that Ladiesman actually meant fully automatic weapons, I will agree that these types of firearms are not necessary to the general public.
    However, considering that these weapons are already illegal in many of the 50 states, and yet, they still have a massive presence on the streets, in the hands of criminals, I would argue that it would be nearly impossible to remove these weapons from the hands of criminals.

• They don't, doesn't mean they can't have them

"assault weapons" are actually simply semi automatic weapons that LOOK like military weapons. I can bet $100 dollars the creator of this poll didn't even know "assault weapons" are just semi automatic rifles that cosmetically look like military rifles, nor did he know that you can't even purchase a fully automatic weapon in a gun store in the first place.

Be informed

• Maybe use that brain of yours.

If you take away "assault weapons" which is any semi automatic or automatic Fire arm. You are banning pistol and most rifles (besides bolt action) leaving shotguns and bolt action rifles. Now hypothetically if this were to happen all law abiding citizens turn their firearms in, and criminals don't because why would they? Now you have criminals with any firearm they desire and all law abiding citizens defenseless or with shotguns and/or bolt action rifles. Really you want to give the "good guys" weak weapons and let the "bad guys" have their strong weapons?

• Civilians Don't Require Them

• When did hunting become the constitutional requirement for gun ownership?

Machine guns are game changers in warfare and in crime. In the 20s and 30s average citizens could get machine guns and you saw the bloody shootouts between bank robbers and police all the time. I agree that machine guns should be under tighter scrutiny than your average bolt-action or semi-automatic rifle.

That being said, law abiding citizens should have access to them as long as they meet licensing requirements. The basic arsenal of handguns, rifles, and shotguns as we currently use them should always and forever be off-limits to gun controllers. A civilian AR-15 may look identical to a military M16, but they are totally and completely different products. You as an American citizen have a right to firearms, no matter how ugly a concept it may be to the political tendencies of others. That fulfills the natural right to some form of personal arms.

Machine guns should not be illegal, especially considering how useful they can be to police and military forces. It's hard to find a military commander who would execute an infantry maneuver without at least 2 light machine guns. And one of the primary purposes of the 2nd amendment is to make sure that the populace is armed so well that the government could never effectively disarm and oppress its citizenry. It's hard to mount an effective defense against your government if you only have single-shot rifles and they have heavy full-automatics.

I realize firearms are a foreign concept to non-American civilians, but try to realize we're unique and for good reason. We learned some painful lessons under a tyrannical monarchy, and I'm glad to live in such a place.

USN276 says2015-04-22T20:25:48.860
The picture which you used is of a Tec 9, a SEMI automatic pistol on the civilian market. You are misleading the public. That is NOT a fully automatic weapon