Background checks of gun buyers: Should background checks be mandatory for all gun purchases?

• Yes, i think so.

I am Pro-gun, but i must say we need to keep firearms out of criminals hands. They will still be able to get guns illegally, HOWEVER, it will help keep guns from being easier to get. If guns are available for anyone, its easier to go buy one from a gun shop. But if they have background checks, then criminals must find another harder to get source.

• To an extent. I have a more neutral stance.

I only say yes because I do believe that certain crimes committed warrant a restriction on the ownership of weapons. Saying that, we already have background checks. Here are the things that will prevent you from owning a firearm:

-Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.

-Fugitives from justice.

-Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.

-Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.

-Illegal aliens.

-Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.

-Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.

-Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.

-Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.

-Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.

-Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

These are all covered under the current background check.

• Background checks should be mandatory for anyone purchasing a weapon that is capable of mass murderer.

I'm pro gun rights but I think that any one looking to buy a gun should be checked to make sure they're not crazy or a criminal. This way we could have out guns and we could be safe from criminal sand if they get guns from the black market than these abiding citizens can defend us from them.

• Background checks should be mandatory

Yes, Illegal guns will still exist, but at least we will be able to catch a few people who should be able to own guns. I don't think guns should be difficult to buy, I simply believe that they should be unavailable to those who are a danger to themselves and others.

• All gun buyers should have a background check.

Background checks for gun buyers are a great idea. It seems like this should have been done a
    long time ago. Guns are too dangerous to
    be sold to any random person. While we’re
    at it, we should also require every gun buyer to undergo gun safety training
    and also get a psychiatric evaluation.

• Yes, background checks should be mandatory for all gun purchases.

Yes, in my opinion every gun buyer should go through a background check. Guns are deadly weapons and not toys. Guns should not be accessible to people with a criminal record and should be a very difficult item to purchase. If background checks are needed for buying guns I believe that this will help decrease the amount of people killed by guns.

• There should be no backround checks

This is stupid. It will not change anything, because illegal guns will still exist. People can make guns at their homes. Criminals will still have access to guns. It will not help anything against gun violence. It should be easier to get guns, because backround checks and gun laws do not include criminals, criminals break laws. So it should be easier so responsible gun owners can have guns easily.

• Waste of time and money for non first time buyers and state system.

I can understand why we do have background checks on firearm purchases such as prevent a criminal, deranged, or fugitive from justice from buying one. The biggest problem for being mandatory for ALL gun purchases is that is not only wastes time and money for the buyer but also for the state that have to repeat the process on those who already have bought multiple. For the very first firearm I agree to the background check and possibly a waiting period like we do in California, but not to have one for the following purchases. Since one has already demonstrated both in the system and for conduct that he or she is not a danger to society then it would be rational to waive all future background checks for that person. If for any reason the person has been deemed unqualified after buying one then it would be up to the state to cautiously investigate to not violate rights just because of a mistake but ensure that person is no longer armed if true.