Banning cell phones in restaurants: Should cell phones be banned in restaurants?

• Ban cell phones in restaurants and theaters

People who yak on cell phones in restaurants and theaters are just plain rude! We go to these places to relax and enjoy a bite to eat or a movie and there is nothing worse than some brain dead a**hole yakking on the phone and ruining the atmosphere for everyone. Many times, these are the same people who let their little kids run around the restaurant screaming and yelling with absolutely no regard for others. I guess we now have to have laws for common sense and manners. What a sick society we are in!

• Cell phones have no business in restaurants and theaters

• I always want to sit away from mobile phone users in all public places.

But then I am sensitive to WiFi/mobile phone frequencies and certain motors, something that became apparent, with the introduction of smart phones 3G and 4G and wifi hotspots everywhere. Sadly I have now done a lot of reading, and realize that there are very serious long-term health issues for us all from long-term and constant immersion in such an environment. I am meeting some affected people who are giving up on going out. They need a social life too.
    Http://www.Radiationresearch.Org/
    http://www.Es-uk.Info/information/52-es-uk-information-leaflet.Html

• Check out Auradaze in the UK..

They have a mobile free policy, fantastic. I think people are getting rude an obnoxious, when asked to refrain from using mobile phones in the eating area.
    Why can't they just go outside and stop interrupting meal times.
    They have done it in a restaurant in the UK in Royal Leamington Spa a place called. Auradaze.

• It is blatantly rude to use a mobile phone in a restaurant.

Phones nowadays are just like drugs.
    Restaurants are places to socialise and make conversation or to have a quiet meal. There is nothing worse than having someone put their phone on the table ready to pick up and get engrossed in something or other on it. It is hoped that other restaurants will become phone free.

• Cell phone ban

I just came from a restaurant where for 45 minutes a couple had a guy on speaker phone and the whole restaurant could hear the conversation. After I finished I went up to the couple and thanked them for completely ruining my experience. He wanted to beat me up outside.

• Doing research on this topic

Yes, I feel it will help with communication at the table and it will improve family relationship. Also in about 20 years from now the future generation if they keep on their phones there won't be a relationship will another human only with their phone. That's my opinion. Thank you.

• Totally and absolutely agree.

Mobile phones are an abomination on our society. I have bad news for all those nomophobes out there. You are not the lord of the cosmos, it really doesn't matter if you don't answer the phone. Get over yourselves, you are not that important. I never cease to be amazed at how a phone can alter a person into a self-obsessed, anti-social pig, at the drop of a ringtone. I've even had salesmen interrupt their pitch to take a call! It's as if I have to ring him to get his undivided attention! Restaurants used to be full of animated discussions and laughter, now it's more like visiting a funeral home.

• Yes they should be

Now, I am not saying the phone it self should be banned, but the use of phone to text, talk and other then a quick picture (same as a camera that has been used for years) should be banned.

If it rings (on silent) the person should get up, and move to the lobby or outside.
    This should also only apply to fine dinning restaurants, and not a Boston Pizza style

• Worked in Food Industry,. While We Live to Have Our Patrons Enjoy and Share Our Work with the World, It Doubles Our Service Staff Responsibilities

If you must do work, do it at home. People would wait almost twenty minutes to order. For larger restaurants, I didn't mind as we had plenty of seating. But smaller restaurants would rather you order, eat, and leave in a timely manner. We want you to enjoy and relax. But two hours to eat just the soup and have a glass of water while you ding out emails is hardly considerate of others who might want to also enjoy. Our wait staff are not your personal photographers. We would love to tell you that the reason your food needs to be reheated is because your inconsiderate self is busy taking pictures and writing reviews. Or reading something. A restaurant is for eating. Your office is for work. And for those parents checking on kids, do what your parents did: HIRE A BABYSITTER or bring your kids with you. As for entitled complainers who think every restaurant has to cater to them, we don't. Food is to be eaten, enjoyed over conversation but I never see the conversation. Everyone's heads are down, staring at their phones. My restaurant is sometimes dead quiet and there'll be twenty people in there. Get off your high horse and your phone. And just peace the attitude. My staff are busy with other customers and don't have time to stand by YOUR table all day and wait for YOU to get off your phone to order.

• Banning cellular devices in a restaurant

No i dont think it should happen at all. If my parents were ill or my kids were with a babysitter i would want to be on my phone just incase my kids got hurt or if my parents suddenly got ill and had to be taken to the hospital. But how would you feel if your phone was off and you missed a call from your mom saying that your dad was dying and you needed to get to the hospital but you didnt look at your phone in time ... Things like this can happen and i would want to answer my phone that way i would know if someone is hurt or not

• I like chicken

Yvty y y yb yb b b yby y yb y byb b ybg ygb yb b gyb yb ygb gb yb yb y by bgyb ygb yb y by by byg by b by by b by bgy b by b yby b yb ybg by by b yb y yb y byb y by

• Of course they should not be banned

Bare maximum, ban their use in fancy high dollar restaurants. I don't see why they should be banned in normal restaurants, just ban them from the fancy ones. At pizza places though, or really, any place that isn't fancy, you are going to have phone users. If you seriously think that they shouldn't be used, stop crying, and go to a fancy restaurant, or eat at home.

• No, people should be allowed to use them.

No, cell phones should not be banned in restaurants, because parents who are out to dinner often use them to check on children. Business people often use cell phones during working lunches to keep working. Cell phones should only be banned if someone is abusing their phone by being rude to others by talking loudly.

• Banning celluar devices in a restaurant is bad for business.

Banning cell phones in restaurants would deter patrons. Technological advances have made it easier from parents, people with ill family members, and on-call workers to go out and enjoy themselves. With a cell phone they are always connected to whomever they need to be. Restaurants would lose business and patrons would lose that sense of security.