Big Soda: Will cutting back calories in soda help with obesity in America?

• CUt back calories in soda

Yes I do think that cutting back calories in soda will help with the obesity in America. We should cut out soda all together and that would cut back a lot of calories. Personally I have cut out soda drinking and went from overweight to a normal healthy BMI. We get too much of our calories from drinks.

• Yes, cutting back calories in soda will unquestionably help with obesity in America.

Majority of the American population enjoy soda drinks. Soda drinks contain a lot of calories, which is making people obese. Coca cola, the most famous soda drink, contains ridiculously high amount of sugar and calories. A 64-ounce fountain cola drink could have up to 700 calories. That means, drinking 5 to 6 cups of Coca cola, can make a person seriously obese without him/her actually knowing the cause. If the soda drinks cut back calories, then definitely obesity will decrease in America.

• No it won't

I don't think that forcing people to cut back on soda will help in the long run. I think that they will find other things to drink. They will drink fruit punch or juice. Both of these have lots of calories and sugar. I think the key is to teach people how to take care of their health.

• Soda is not the only problem.

If this where the case then all these zero calorie sugar free "diet" sodas would have cured the obesity problem. There is already a low calorie option. If you want to exchange one evil (high fructose corn syrup) for another (aspartame). As long as there is high calorie fattening fast food, and high fructose corn syrup and sugar in everything we eat and HUGE portion sizes, then America will always be obese. Calories alone don't make you fat, sugar and type of calories does. 170 calories of spinich, carrots, tomatoes etc, is not treated the same in your body as 170 calorie can of coke.

• No, cutting calories in soda will not help obesity.

Soda is filled with calories primarily from high fructose corn syrup. There is absolutely no nutritional reason to consume corn syrup unless one has a need for a lot of calories. With that said, we all know that soda is filled with empty calories and the only useful way to limit those calories is simply to enjoy soda in moderation.