Blackbeard Flagship Conservation Project: Should money be spent doing something more productive than this?

• Money spent on Blackbeard's Flagship could help many Americans

This is one of my pet peeves. The U.S. has so much money. I know our national debt is ridiculous, but we do have a huge budget. Yet, there are still people in this country who have nowhere to sleep and nothing to eat. There are people who can't afford their medications. We spend taxpayer dollars on frivolous projects while people in this country suffer because they don't have the necessities. I think we need to take care of our own people before we spend money on things that honestly don't matter. I go so far as to say that maybe our space program isn't that necessary. The amount of money we spend on the space program is staggering. (I mean, I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it's a LOT.) People need to be able to feed their kids before we need to explore space.

• No, Maritime Restoration and Conservation Projects Are Valuable

It is easy to suggest re-allocation of resources, but one must look into the sponsors of a particular project. For the Blackbeard Flagship Conservation Project, the backing is provided by organizations dedicated to historical preservation, education, and maritime discovery. While there is a plethora of issues requiring attention and funding, the fiscal burden rests on the private financiers and whether or not they would like to invest. The deep sea is one of Earth's greatest mysteries and as enigmatic as deep space. A lot can be learned by probing into artifacts and marine life. On an archaeological and anthropological level, humankind can discern a great deal of its own past by conducting this type of research.

• Preserving history is important

Excavation projects like the Blackbeard Flagship Conservation Project help us understand history and learn more about ourselves. This project will take five years and the artifacts will be available for study and analysis for many years thereafter. Projects like this are important because without them, the available information could be lost forever.

• There should be money dedicated to this cause

There should be money dedicated to this cause. This is because contributors and governments have a right to choose what projects are worthy to them. There are many organizations already giving money to causes like hunger, war relief, and poverty relief. There is room for the Blackbeard Flagship Conservation Project too.