Blackfish: Should killer whales be kept in captivity at zoos and SeaWorld?

• Does it matter

I don't know how to word my argument without sounding like a ridiculously bigoted animal-hater. But I will say this: as far as animal abuse goes, keeping killer whales at sea world is no worse than keeping hamsters or gerbils in a cage. That in itself doesn't justify it, I realize. I think that short of torturing and mutilating animals and being disgusting to them in general, we should be allowed to do whatever we want with animals. It is not like the animals are going to stop us.

• Shame should stay

Yes, because none of the whales they hold are wild born. The whales have all been born in captivity! Seaworld has existed so long, maybe only one or two old whales were wild borne. All the whales now rely on humans to feed them. Why kill them by bringing them into the wild? What use would that do? And besides, Seaworld makes profit off of them. Why ruin both innocent whales' lives and destroy Sea World along with it?

• Of course they should....

This question is begging for a sarcastic reply. In fact, this question is downright ripe for a brutal, merciless, sarcastic kick in the furry business.
    "Should Killer Whales be kept in captivity at zoos and SeaWorld? "

"Of course they should. Where else would we keep them captive? "

• Blackfish lies! Don't believe them

In the film blackfish they use many actors that are not actually the real person or peoples even a "former killer whale trainer" they interviewed never even interacted with killer whales. Keeping killer whales at sea world is no worse than keeping hamsters or gerbils in a cage. That in itself doesn't justify it, I realize.

• Of course they should

They need to stay because they would die if they were not. You can learn a lot more about them close up it is not great to keep animals in captivity but it is needed for studying and life for killer whales so they should be kept in sea world.

• Harming instead of helping

Now before I begin please let me note that I am not for abusing or neglecting animals in anyway shape or form.

Reasons why killer whales in captivity should not be released:
    -these animals have grown up and have become accustomed to being hand-feed, if you release them how will they find food?
    -there is no guarantee that the orcas original pod will be located
    -these animals are abused in any way, they are feed every single day no matter what happens. If an animal does the wrong behavior it gets food, if an animal does the right behavior they get food. None of these animals are deprived of food.
    -Blackfish is just another organization
    ( or whatever they call it)
    because they are jealous the the fame and money SeaWorld gets and they want attention from the media and money.

People need to get their facts together and not jump to the answer everyone else is jumping to.

• Living wild vs captivity

Killer whales that are born in captivity know nothing better than being hand feed food. They would have less than a 50% chance of survival, because they don't really know the logic behind capturing food in order to live. They will most likely only live less than a year if they go into the wild rather than 15-20+ years in captivity

• Let's Think About This

Yes, captivity isn't the best thing in the world. Yes, keeping an animal from its natural habitat isn't the best option in the world. And yes, accidents do happen when animals are held in captivity. However, let us not forget the benefits keeping animals has for us AND the animals themselves. These animals are not treated terribly, they are given much care by zoos and SeaWorld. At the same time, many of these animals are either rescued or the descendants of rescued animals, who may have died out in the wild had they been left alone or had been released after becoming accustomed to human care. Let us not forget that these animals also provide much needed information about their species to humanity. They allow us to readily research such creatures and by researching these animals, we can find out how to better treat them and their brethren in the wild (i.E. Medically). The growth of human knowledge about such marine creatures allows us to know more about them; hence, we are more capable of helping them.

• Let's look at the facts

SeaWorld is depicted in BlackFish to be this money-grubbing company that's is decieving thier trainers. But it is really? Remember that one guy who was the ONLY person who was with Sea World? He later claimed that Black Fish deceived him, making him think that both sides were going to be addressed, when in actuality, it only addressed one side. Remember when it showed the man with the bloody face? He wasn't attacked by a killed whale. He, according to a RECENT Sea World trainer, didn't get attacked by a killer whale, but what were we to assume? He also claimed that 85% of Black Fish was FALSE. And that the whole documentary was 1) based off of stories from Sea World trainers from 10-20 years ago, and 2) was based off a way a thinking that was right 10-20 years ago. Sea World admitted that and recognized it was wrong, but says that 100% of all whales today that are held in captivity are born at Sea World, and only 0.1% of ALL killer whales are held in captivity. May I also bring up a point from another message that they would not be able to live if they were let out into the wild. Imagine throwing a house cat into a jungle. It wouldn't know how to function since it's been fed and cared for all it's life. It would die quicker than if it was still "held in captivity" per say. I just wanted to get that off my chest. NOTE: This is my opinion, please don't yell at me. It's called the 1st Amendment.

• Of course they should

• Wrong on many levels

To keep orcas in a zoo for display is acceptable, but it is morally unacceptable to use them for entertainment at SeaWorld. I saw the film Blackfish and now, I resent SeaWorld. They care more about profit than animal welfare. Keeping these sentient animals in captivity for an extended period of time causes them severe psychological damage, as evidenced by several killer whale attacks on trainers.

• It's not humane

Unless said whale is injured and must be rehabilitated there is no reason to keep such active animals in oversized glass jars. There are not habitats big enough, realistic enough or stimulating enough to be a life long substitute for a healthy whale that is capable of living on its own.

• To respect any wile animals and care about their feeling.

Animals have their own mind and feeling, they shouldn't trap into a little area especially whales, these high intelligent mammals shouldn't kept into a little place. Also wheals should belong to ocean, they have their own habitat and their own life, Not belong to seaworld. If they really attack people, isn't their false, since they are hunter in the sea, not human's pet. They have their wild nature, they will hunt animals, we shouldn't be selfish to kept them for our fun and to impair their freedom.

• Here me out

I'm not some pansie who is all for equal protection for animals that don't even feel but whales.... Are different they can actually understand "ok i'm being kidnapped i am going to have anger and hate for my captors" even the best trained whales go berserk at some point. The animal is too dangerous i say that so i don't have to see another innocent diver get killed. Let the bastards go and play with their dead food friggin savages

• It risks the health of orcas and the people who work with them.

My experience at sea world was none the less but amazing, I had fun and got to spend some quality time with my family, but the orca show "Shamu" made me a bit sad. While other people were enjoying themselves and applauding for the orcas, I could see the look or sadness and emptiness in the whale's eyes. Years later I watch documentaries on these animals to learn that they are great friendly fun loving animals. In captivity there are over one hundred recorded killer whale attacks, while there is not a single one recorded in the wild. Then people wonder why there are so many incidents in captivity. My question is; is someone put you in a bathtub for majority of your life and bossed you around, would you like them very much? I'd also like to state that in the wild killer whales travel in pods their entire life and when a mother gives birth to a baby calf, it never leaves its mothers side. Orcas being in pods are used to having certain whales around them. When you bring in five different orcas from five different locations, there is going to be conflict. There are severe injuries done to the whales by the other whales who are held in captivity with them, some so fatal they can result in death. Yet people still choose to keep these whales in a tank together. A killer whale typically swims around 100+ miles per day, but are limited to the small space given to them by the parks. When orcas are captured in the wild to be put in these parks, most times the whalers go after the babies. When the calf leaves its mother, the mother grieves while the calf is deeply saddened and frightened. What people think is that whales are just stupid animals who can memorize how to do tricks only if they are punished so they can get into the habit of performing the tricks; that is a false statement. Orcas have a part of the brain no other marine animal has which is used to feel and process emotions. That being said, every time they are deprived of food to learn a trick, or getting beat to perfect that trick, they react to it the same way we do ,and that can lead to traumatization. If anyone has ever hurt you very badly, in your mind you have at one point or another, thought about revenge. So having these animals in captivity runs the risk of them getting their revenge on trainers or staff. So it risks the health of animal and trainer.

• It's absolutely wrong.

Killer whales should not be kept in tiny pools. They should be able too swim over 100 miles a day and live too be 60 years old (as they do in the wild). Before you decide too say yes to this question, think about it. Do you know anything about them? Their behaviors? Their intelligence? Are you just saying yes because you want too watch them swim around and perform tricks? It's wrong too keep this beautiful creatures locked up. They deserve too be set free.

• It is inhumane.

Orcas are used to swimming hundreds of miles each day. Seaworld puts them in concrete tanks that is basically a bathtub to the orcas. Seaworld doesn't always provide proper medical care for the animals. In one case like that, an orca by another orca. That first orca become pretty hurt, losing a chunk of flesh around the size of a dinner plate and seaworld had to pick it up from the bottom of the tank. They didn't help it. They just left it to suffer. You say that 95 percent of orcas there were born in captivity? Not true. The male orca there that has caused three deaths was captured from the wild. In that process, underwater explosives, aircraft, and nets. The orcas are captured when they are babies, yanked away from their parents, and thrown in tiny concrete tanks where they will live for the rest of their lives. The other orcas at seaworld that weren't captured from the wild were the result of extreme inbreeding. Orcas have a longer lifespan in the wild. Wild orcas have an average life expectancy from thirty to one hundred years, if they are lucky. Captive orcas rarely live past year nine. Almost all of the orcas at seaworld have collapsed dorsal fins, which have never been found on wild orcas. Collapsed dorsal fins are signs of sickness and stress.

• They should be in the wild

They should be in the wild because they are great creatures and they need to be in more than 20 feet.Whales do not hurt anybody,they just do not like being held captive and people should not catch them.That is why they should not be in a zoo or aquarium Ok

• Humans do not have the right to do whatever they please

Man does not have the right to go into the wild and basically kidnap any animal and as for the people who say what about zoos? Well keeping animals that have their own habitat ( oh wait, man has destroyed thier homes too) is wrong also-so that is faulty reasoning. Whales are very interdependent upon one another. Moms are extremely close to their babies. Just watching a baby that has been snatched, mourn for his mother and vice versa is heartbreaking. If people want to go look at whales they can go whale watching. If Seaworld thinks they are doing a humane duty by "taking care" of these whales then let them do it for free. Don't charge admission. Let's see how long that will last. Bottom line- it is completely wrong. Humans do not need to take care of orcas. Whales are meant to be in the ocean and that is where they are menat to die. Man needs to mind their own business, but we know that will never happen because we hav too many humans that have no hearts and are extremely selfish.

• I wouldn't want to be separated by my family.

Its not fair to these whales that are being separated by their families. Mothers go through so much stress without her babies making them act violently against humans. These whales are so freaking smart and its not fair that they suffer because Sea World makes money off of them. They sadly live their lives in a small tank and not where they should be. Ugh I would hate to be treated like that. I rather live a short and happy life then stressed out for all my years.