Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Did the world understand/forgive this US action?

• Yes, the world has largely forgiven the bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

While it is clear that current U.S. Foreign policy is often a matter of annoyance and dismay to people outside the country, by and large, America is recognized as a world leader and often looked to for guidance and aid. The bombings at Hiroshima and Nagasaki shocked the world, but the argument that they were necessary to prevent further loss of life seems to have been accepted. Japan, at the time, showed no signs of backing down. Those bombings were a horror, but the world seems willing to allow that they accomplished their intended purpose.

• Yes, Americans and Japanese are friends now. Both politically and socially.

If Japan can reconcile and move on, the America hating crowd should too. Aside from a few right wing individuals who still hold a grudge, most Japanese people blame war itself for what happened, and not the US. My university is partners with 6 universities in Japan, 2 of them are Hiroshima university and Nagasaki university. Students from both those cities come to the US to study and make life long friends with Americans. Isn't that what forgiveness is?? Meanwhile keyboard warriors from Europe and the Muslim world talk shit and spew hate at America as if it happened yesterday. They use the tragedy and human misery of Hiroshima to wipe their own sins under the rug. The America hating crowd doesn't give a single shit about the suffering that the bombing caused, only using it as an excuse to hate the United States.

• US and Japan are allies both politically and socially.

If the Japanese can reconcile and move on, the rest of the America hating crowd should too. I've spent time in Japan, Japanese people like Americans, and people stateside like Japanese. My university has a partnership with 6 universities in Japan, 2 of them Hiroshima and Nagasaki universities. Loads of students from both those universities come to America to study, many of them make life long friends. Isn't that what forgiveness is? There maybe Japanese individuals who hold a grudge for what happened in 1945 as there are Americans who hold a grudge for Pearl Harbor, but the majority of the people who hate the US for dropping those bombs are people from parts of the world that had nothing to do with the war in the Pacific, Eurotrash and Muslims.

• Yes, nations can forgive

These bombings shortened the war and saved lives that would
    have been lost in combat on both sides. Nevertheless, they were a horrific
    departure from the wars of the past. Thousands of innocent civilians died in
    horror, and more died in slow agony. A new means of mass destruction was loosed
    on the world, one that can never be called back. Yet some peoples have an
    astonishing capacity for forgiveness. America and Japan prove that, when they
    act as allies and friends.

• Largely over it

I think enough time has passed that people don't really think about these incidents anymore, despite the magnitude of them. I'm not sure if that's the same as forgiving them, but it's infrequent to hear them brought up in a damning fashion. I'm sure Japan hasn't and will never entirely be forgiving, but other than that I think the world has moved on.

• No One Dropped Another Bomb on Unsuspecting Populations

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were considered necessary evils at the time. The death toll of more than 120,000 individuals was unfortunate. In general, the world has forgiven the extreme measures used to end the war in the Pacific. Otherwise, millions more people and civilians would have died. The Japanese culture would be extinct since every citizen on the island nation would have fought to the death. The nuclear bombs weakened the spirits of the country's leaders and they finally realized their traditional methods of warfare wouldn't work.

• The world did understand/forgive the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The world did understand/forgive the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. For the most part, they did forgive the US for this terrible event. After the fact, they understood that they did what they needed to do at the time being for more serious events not to happen. I think for the most part, the rest of the world understood.

• Yes, in some ways.

The world I feel has forgiven the US for what happens, and knows why it was done, but that does not mean they full understand. There was many different ways to handle the situation and creating an intense bomb and dropping it on someone is not the best option because civilians can be harmed. US was forgiven, but what they did isn't forgotten.

• The end does not justify the means.

It is really surprising to see the skew here. So easy to sit in the comfort of their chairs and comment. So easy to overlook. Such short memories. It is easy to argue that all is fair in love and war. But nothing can justify such mindless violence. These were experimental weapons. The bombings were experiments. We are so desensitized these days that we have come to accept it. Japan will never forgive. The world will never forgive. America will pay the price, someday. It is inevitable. And when it does happen, the innocent will pay the price, as usual, for the deeds of their political and military masters. Unless, the people of the world wake up and become aware, and act before it is too late.

• No, I do not think so

Civilians where killed. Many people who might not have had the power to change the actions of the Japanese government lost their lives. And to use an experimental bomb on people shows the height of reckless government on the part of the United States. No justification can be provided or accepted for death on this scale by a nation that claims to stand on the principles of human rights and Christianity. Evil was done. And the imagery alone is enough to convict anyone that such a fate was undeserved.

• No, I don't think so.

I think many people don't understand the reasons for the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I am one of them. I am not completely ignorant of the issue, but it is a complicated one. I also think that there are many people who have not forgiven the US for committing these acts.