Boy Scouts of America and agnostic and atheist membership: Should the Boy Scouts of America accept avowed agnostics and atheists?

• Isn't the BSA about helping people and being a good person?

It's sad that I've literally saved lives, I donate time and money, I teach my children to be kind, and truthful, yet I'm not good enough. However, an alcoholic, lying, non-practicing, person is fine. I actually LIVE by the values BSA and they don't but ban me for not claiming to know something NOBODY COULD POSSIBLY KNOW 100%. INSANE!!!

• Discrimination violates principals of Scouting

The journey of a Boy Scout is all about growing to become a better person. An 11-year-old boy asking to join the local troop is effectively asking the BSA for help with his journey of growing up by learning the skills and values of scouting. By rejecting this boy for any reason, the BSA is refusing to "help other people at all times" and is not acting "helpful," "friendly," or "kind." This is clearly opposed to both the Scout Oath and Law.

• Discrimination violates core principals of Scouting

• Discrimination violates Scouting's core principals

• It's a Christian organization

No, Boy Scouts of America should not accept avowed atheists and agnostics. The Boy Scouts is a Christian organization, and it needs to stay that way. There is nothing wrong with that, nothing to be ashamed of. There are plenty other organizations and clubs atheists are free to join. Why would they want to join a faint-based organization to begin with??

• No, Boy Scouts should maintain their standards.

No, the Boy Scouts of America should not accept avowed agnostics and atheists, because the Boy Scouts have defined principles, and they should stand by them. The Boy Scouts have definitive values that they try to teach the boys involved in the program. Belief in God is one of those values. The Boy Scouts should not have to compromise their values.