BP ordered to pay $175 million to settle claims that it lied about the extent of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill: should their payout be larger?

• Yes, companies should be responsible for their accidents.

The governments in the US are looking more and more like they are only interested in just how much money they can squeeze out of companies. When I see a disaster like this one, and then see the large amounts of money they pay out for it, then years later see the governments sticking it to them again for amounts like these, I start to view the governments as the real crooks. The government doesn't care about the wildlife, or us, they just care about the money they can legally take.These excessive fees these governments charge are just a way to get more tax money. and who pays that in the end; the consumer. Always. Companies should be responsible for their accidents.

• Yes, the BP payout should be larger

British Petroleum was recently ordered to pay $175 million as part of a settlement where they were accused of lying about the size of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill in order to improve their stock prices. I believe that their payout should be much larger because the oil spill caused huge environmental damage.

• Yes, oil companies should be held fully responsible for their ecological crimes.

Yes, BP's payout should be larger. BP has profited immensely from drilling in various ecologically sensitive areas, and their failure to respond appropriately to a disaster in an already damaging industry is proof that this behavior must be punished. BP should realize that their deliberate evasions and shortcomings are not tolerated by any government.

• No - the fine is sufficient

I don't believe that BP should have to pay more money. They may be a very large company with a huge turnover, but $175 million is still a huge fine to pay. I feel that, considering that they didn't lie about what happened - just the extent of it, the pre-agreed fine would be sufficient in enabling them to think about the consequences of lying about any oil spills in the future.