Bradley Manning sentenced to 35 years. Do you agree with this decision?

Asked by: chrumbelievable
  • Others will follow if not treated harshly

Others who are trusted with secrets and are temporary or misguided with the government will feel they can tell all they feel in important for the public to know. A harsh sentence will show that it cost to break trust and no one should be able to solely determine what is important to tell the public.

• To quote the ACLU...

“When a soldier who shared information with the press and public is punished far more harshly than others who tortured prisoners and killed civilians, something is seriously wrong with our justice system,” said Ben Wizner, director of the ACLU’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project.

While I'm thankful that Manning was not sentenced to the 90 years he could have been facing, or the death penalty he could have gotten if convicted of aiding the enemy, I wholeheartedly believe that he should receive little to no punishment at all. 30 years is a very large portion of someone's life. Manning did not have ill intentions. He apologized to the court for hurting the U.S. He meant well. All I can hope is that he will be granted parole in 10 years when he is eligible.