California gold discovery: Is it possible for a sudden windfall of millions of dollars (lottery, game show, finding $10 million on your property) to be a bad thing?

• Over time, yes

A sudden wind fall of money seems like a great thing. All bills and debts can be paid for, nice shiny new things can be purchased, but it sets up spending habits that are destined to fail. People are not prepared to manage these sums of cash, and they set them up for failure.

• Blessing or Curse?

The sad truth is money changes people. I think the media attention is also a reason for some of the problems. I've read stories on how a happy marriage ended up with fighting and eventually divorce over lotto winnings. I've read stories on how lotto winners were murdered by family and friends in hopes of getting the money. I've read stories about people who were targeted and robbed of their money.

I think if you have a good support system in place plus you are educated and mature enough to know what to do with that much money it is OK. If it was me I would leave the country and move elsewhere and keep a low profile.

• A sudden windfall of millions of dollars can be a bad thing

It is my opinion that coming into a large sum of money can be a negative experience in the life of an average person. If the incident is made public knowledge, then a person's safety can become threatened by a variety of people that want to take what they have. Furthermore, the person would not be able to maintain their current lifestyle without drawing the ire of their peers.

• Fortune isn't always good

I've heard of quite a few stories where people claim there is a lottery curse. Someone luckily wins big money in the lottery only to have their life fall apart on them within the first year or two. Many people let the big money go to their heads and let it change them. Finding ten million dollars on your property can be a great thing but then you have to deal with people expecting a hand out, taxes, thieves, etc.

• Sudden Windfalls Aid Society

Sudden windfalls of millions of dollars may not be a bad thing. First, it lets people become financially independent. Second, the proceeds of such findings may be taxed. Third, the added money spent on consumer products can aid in sales tax revenue in certain localities. Sudden windfalls aren't bad things if someone takes care of the new-found wealth.