• Republics and Religion sound so different.

Barack Obama is an atheist, and he runs the United States. Would you just rule him out for that? Not so likely. Besides, most atheists tolerate Christian 'high US government officials" so it should be equal. Studies do not show a difference between Christians and atheists in such stances, so it is to be equal.

• Core Republican ideals Don't Require Religion

Classic Republican dogmas such as limited government, personal property, the right to bear arms, and free market capitalism can all be attractive to people of no religion/atheists/agnostics. The majority of Republicans may be religious, but that doesn't mean that religious affiliation is a prerequisite. Their political beliefs require no religious faith in order to be agreed with.

• Not All Republicans are Religious

Republicans can be non-religious. Being religious doesn't make a person a Republic. Many devout Jews are Democrats, and many atheists are Republicans. Being a member of a political party doesn't guarantee you a corner on the religious market, and being religious doesn't guarantee what political party you will choose to be in.

• Rare, But Possible

It depends on what defines your affiliation more, economic beliefs or social issues. I say yes because of economic ideas. There is a significant population of people who believe in markets, capitalism, etc. But also believe in gay rights, evolution, and are pro choice. This causes a problem because liberals won't have them because of their economic views and conservatives won't have them because of their social and religious views. I consider this to be a Republican stance because I think that economics drives what goes on in the government in terms of debate. That isn't to say that social issues aren't important, they are, but look at what candidates talk about when they run. It's all the economy. Plus if there is a true separation of church and state, the views of many Christians should not be defined as political views, just religious views.

• There is correlation but no causation.

It's true that many religious people vote republican, especially in regards to social issues such as abortion and gay marriage. However, many republican's social views aren't tied with religion. For instance, you don't need to be religious at all to believe killing an innocent person is wrong, so if you believe a fetus is a person, then killing it would be murder. Euthanasia, at best. Gay marriage could be opposed on the grounds that it negatively affects the children that homosexual couples could have. Now, these don't reflect my views. In fact, I believe the opposite. However, it's important to realize where the views of republicans really come from rather than just dismissing it as religious dogma.

• Religious Right Doesn't Rule GOP

I'm sure many Republicans are non-religious and get into politics simply because they want to help people. Conservatives and Republicans aren't all necessarily Christians. Fundamentalist Christians are, as a general rule, Republicans, but the reverse is not true. It would be like saying all Christians vote for Republicans. That most certainly is not true either.

• YES

Of course. I have met many. We are after all a secular country with a specifically secular government; therefore political alignment does not necessarily have to come with religious affiliation. The fact that most republicans ARE religious only shows that the ideals they are after are shared by people who tend to be religious, too.

• I am one

I have to type 50 words, but this needs no more explaining. I am a non religious conservative and I believe that religion has a bad impact on society in the modern day. Religion and politics/law may be closely related (look at the Middle East!) but it is okay for someone who is not religious to have conservative perspectives on things such as nationalism, capitalism and gun rights, which are not defined by your religion.

• I am one

• Conservatives can be non-religious

The whole point of being a conservative is trying to CONSERVE our good values, instead of changing them because of a small group of people are offended. Conservatives are generally pro religion, but as I stated before religion is not the point of being a conservative. Conservatives believe in freedom being able to practice what you want without forcing other people to change.

• You can vote Republican but you can't get anywhere in the party.

Right now, a strongly religious element is in control of the Republican party that would not tolerate someone who was not Christian or possibly Jewish. This means that a non-religious person (or follower of a "non-Republican" religion like Islam) might want to vote Republican, but this person will never actually be able to run for office as a Republican or otherwise get anywhere within the party.

• A Republican can but not Republicans.

I know several Republicans who identify as "atheist" or "agnostic" but while individuals may hold these beliefs, as a group they are not and, for the foreseeable future, will not. The simple reason is that religious organizations are to entrenched in the Republican party. This is the way it has been since Reagan. Maybe sometime in the future they will stop being overtly religious but that has yet to be seen and there is no indication of this happening.