Can artificial intelligence exceed human intelligence?

Asked by: robygfurber
  • Yes, it can.

Computers will eventually exceed the processing power of the human brain, and after that it will only be a matter of time before there is software good enough to be more intelligent than a human. There are already researchers working to simulate the human brain, and when they can do it faster than real-time, it will be more intelligent.

• Agree and True!

Technology is evolving...And their will be Robots (Artificial Intelligence): They will succeed Human Intelligence because Robots will be clever/smarter than Humans! And can solve mysteries that were never solved! (That scientists are researching...Currently.). Also, Robots can help Humans with work and in the future, Robots will work instead of Humans because Technology in the workforce is changing and there will be scientific discoveries when AI exceed Human Intelligence because: It can solve mysteries that Humans/Scientists can't figure out!

• Yeah it will

Humans are flawed. It is in our inherent nature that we make mistakes. These mistakes humans must overcome, redo, and gain new intellect. Computers are flawless. They are smart, but lack feelings. Everything can be explained in mathematics. Computers are going to excel humans like when Watson destroyed two the smartest Jeopardy players.

• Yes, and easily so.

Depending on how you choose to define intelligence, computer's will increasingly surpass our own:

- While I would agree that intelligence is not limited to knowledge, it is certainly part of it and computers crush us in this aspect.

- Computers also beat us in calculations.

- And multitasking.

- And pattern recognition.

- Some would mostly likely argue that computers can not tell emotions, but this is false. Each emotion corresponds to a specific brain state and sometimes facial expressions, both of which can be analyzed by computer.

• Yes i do.

I believe, that we as a race, while we probably will not be able to give an artificial intelligence emotions, we can give it opinions. Opinions are our views based on evidence we have seen. We give an intelligence with a large amount of processing power access to the whole of the internet, and tell it to tell us if racial profiling still exists, it will pull all of the data on racial profiling in the past, lets say, 10 years, it will give us a yes or no answer based on the information it has.

Secondly, would we make something smarter than ourselves? We already have. Calculators can do complex problems faster than nearly any human you pull from the face of the earth. Would we create a supercomputer with intelligence, that can solve problems faster than we can? Not for a long while. The nearest practical use i can see of that is still science fiction. However, i don't think that stops scientists and engineers from trying to create it to say that it can be done.

To sum it up, would we create an intelligence smarter than ourselves? Yes. Why? To understand and explain things we can't.

• No, it can't.

Computers are made by humans. Therefore, computers' 'intelligence' are from humans. Also, it is a machine, it cannot work without humans. It does not have feelings of its own, cannot express its opinion, its creator could and would change its way of thinking. Plus, would humans create something that he knows it's intelligence would exceed his own?

• Idiots, all of you

Artificial intelligence can't exceed human knowledge bevause we program them with stuff we know. Just to I The To The I The To I The I To The I To The I The To The I The I To Last the to Ever mini in kchd did cute ci I'm.

• Although it can certainly try, no

What must be remembered is that artificial intelligence is a computer taking an input, finding an answer in its known data and outputting said answer. Therefore the computer is only as smart as its creator. And if the computer had an ability to take new inputs and answers, they could be wrong or the least efficient way to to an action. Example: artificial intelligence can try trick you all it wants at X's and O's but it can also be snookered so no one can win. Same in chess. And if there is an unsolved maths problem (which there is many), it is at a disadvantage to a maths profs, who try obscure methods which in the long run are justifiable.

A computer can never make up it's own ideas and concepts, just copy and paste answers it's acquired from a source.

• How do you define intelligence?

I personally do not think that artificial intelligence will overtake human intelligence. The root of this question I think is in your own personal definition of intelligence. If intelligence you mean ability to store and recall information as well as the capacity to perform complex mathematical and logical computations, then yes computers have frankly already surpassed humans. If, on the other hand, your definition of intelligence is linked to the ability to understand and interpret the massively complex data sets that you come across daily (and you process without much conscious effort) as well as the ability to think creatively then the picture shifts in the favor of humanity.

Simply put, Computers are rather binary structures (no pun intended). They can not deal in nebulous ideas or "gray" areas as humans can. There are facts, there are factors, and there are boolean outcomes. Of course you can create massively complex computer systems that can weigh in millions of factors before coming to a conclusion, but it's still a process of elimination based on the limited understanding we, as humans, are able to give computers.

Ultimately it comes down to humanity. We build the computers, and we discover the breakthroughs in computing. An artificial intelligence would have to be made by a human being, and I, as a computer scientist, can not fathom a way that we could create a system so advanced that it surpasses our own knowledge. Simply because creating a "learning" machine requires that we understand at all levels how to effectively learn and process the world around us, which we do not.