Can both Atheists and Theists coexist together in good faith?

Asked by: O.Z
  • Yes! I am sick of all this debating!

I am personally a Catholic and I respect Atheists, but honestly why do we have these religious debates? Can't we all just live together in peace and believe what we want? I am starting to think that some people who don't like creationism are trying to get rid of us. I was watching the Science Channel one day and I watched this thing called "Message From Bill Nye". Bill basically said that he doesn't think that future generations should believe in Creationism and parents should not teach it. I respect Atheists for their beliefs, but when they start doing things like this trying to eliminate our religion, that's when it gets serious. I really hurts my feeling to see Atheists now a days being total jerks. I wish that we could all just get along and not judge people because of their religion.

• The United Kingdom did it.

Uk's policies seemed to have been able to keep the religious debate outside the public sphere making everyone able to coexist under a non-theistic umbrella. Therefore, everyone is an atheist, until of course they express their faith. This, in my opinion makes public life much easier as it enables individuals to interact without a set of customs and dogmas to bar them.

• Yes they can exist

They can be said as two sides of a coin . Thus if we want them not to be together they will create hazard not only to the life of others but to the life that has still not lived. If only one of them exists ,there will be something like monopoly and the life would be of just like a horse. There must be variety and have coexistence between atheists and theists . They should not be totally forgetting their own purpose as they are not born to have no faith in each other.

• We can do it!

As a person who enforces reason, I think it is very possible for the two sides to coexist without unnecessary violence and strife. We should, as human beings, be able to overlook a person's beliefs about the world and like them just the way they are. It's the only way this world is gonna get better.

Posted by: O.Z
  • Absolutely. But both sides need to make a better effort to understand each other.

Alrhough one does not necessarily have to respect another's beliefs, there is no reason whatsoever to be disrespectful, or to deny other people's basic right to believe whatever they want. As an atheist, I try to be respectful of everyone's religious beliefs (except for those that encourage homophobia or violence). I have no time for atheists who dismiss believers as irrational idiots, any more than I do for theists who condemn atheists as immoral. I think we should all stop making sweeping, bigoted generalizations about people whose views are different to ours.

• Absolutely they can

They can, but I cannot guarantee they will.

But what gives me hope is that when we are honest with ourselves, the question of god is more complex than a simple yes or no. It is a question with considerations on multiple axis. There are ways in which most of us don't know and ways in which most of us cannot imagine a universe with god but cannot imagine how god fits into it either.

So more often than we actually realize, the theist and the atheist are the exact same person.

• It's just one part of the person

I am a theist, I am one because of philosophical reasoning and things I have experienced. Many other people have different beliefs for different reasons. I have friends with many different social, political, religious, and economic ideals. A belief is just one small part of a person, you shouldn't reject something just because of one flaw (in your opinion). Intolerance on both sides is the driving force of the hate. If you are a Christian, as I am, and you snub atheists: first, I would like to slap you for hypocrisy everyone ought to be loved and accepted as fellow beings, second: religious and scientific knowledge marry quite well, learn both. If you are an Atheist and you snub Theists: first, science doesn't disprove religion (even evolution, aka an evolutionary theist), and if someone is religious, that doesn't mean they hate or don't study science and science doesn't hold the monopoly on truth. Second, faith is not believing for no reason, it is trust in a philosophy that pays off. I put my faith in science, and God, both things show obvious confirming benefits. Third, for heaven's sake, don't cite non-existent scientific evidence such as 'knowing where consciousness and thought comes from' or treating vague scientific theories as concrete evidence against God (e.G. Big Bang, btw the order of events actually match genesis) because we all know that theories never change, like light being able to exit a black hole.

All and All, it's best to just put aside one small disagreement. Both sides need to stop being elitist snobs thinking their way is the only one and being intolerant of each other. In the end, it's all about RESPECT. After all, we are all wanderers trying to find truth, why judge others that find something different when searching in the dark?

• Yes it can.

Yes, Atheists and Theists can coexist in peace, but it would be very hard, as both parties would have to give up the assimilation part of their belief (or non-belief). Since many religion proselytize, and since a lot of atheists (not all of course) are very intolerant towards religious people, it would be very, very, hard BUT possible.

• Yes, provided that we all agree that acceptance or rejection of God should not be forced to anyone.

The friction between atheists and theists is mainly due to the understanding of what 'God' really is, and doesn't have much to do with the idea of the existence of the deity in itself. One can accept or reject any given deity; nothing's going to change anyway whatever's the answer; however, some people understood 'God' as an entity that MUST be accepted or rejected; this notion that accepting or rejecting God is an OBLIGATION is the reason why frictions occur; this is made worse by our tendency to try to force-feed our beliefs upon others.

• No, they cannot

My first instinct was to respond "yes", because of the underlying moral principles involved. I am a physics student and, as a man of science, must admit that I believe in a superior being than ourselves. Unfortunately, when it comes into mind and after thing about it for several minutes, any logical attempt at bringing these two kinds of people together results in conflict, even if very minimal. As with many historical "religious wars", I do not think atheists and theists will inure to living under each other.

• What is 'Good Faith'?

That is key. If we look at history so far, countries (at least in the western world) have generally liberalized in recent centuries. Laws come into being that are directly in conflict with older doctrine. I am an atheist myself. I can see that faith itself, however, is being twisted by our modern culture. I suppose if you put a bunch of theists together and outlawed science, you might be able to retain beliefs for a longer period of time.

• Atheists have become militant and vicious!

I do not believe that those who believe in God can co-exist peacefully with most atheists as they are becoming more militant every day. They sue at the drop of a hat, constantly ridicule religion and anyone who believes in God, and refuse to tolerate those who see things differently than they do. They preach coexistance, but scream and rail at those who believe in God. I see this becoming worse and worse every day and the only way to handle it is to get into a screaming match or just walk away.

• We respect each other until faith gets involved.

The majority of my friends are Atheist and I'm a theist. We get on so well and have so much in common, until it comes to religion. I'm not saying that atheists and theists can't get on period, but in my experience, religious beliefs are always a source of tension. They've caused so many arguments between me and my friends and also among my family. So yea, we can co-exist in friendship and interests, but sadly not in faith.

• Atheism is the antithesis of religion

Atheism is essentially anti-religion and staunchly against any sort of belief in God. It is totally against religious practices. Different religions can co-exist with each other because they have an underlying bond between them which brings them to a common platform (i.E. The universal support for belief in God by all religions), however atheists cannot because they are the complete opposites of theists and living together will cause a lot of tension between both the communities.

• Atheism is the antithesis of religion