Can God still be considered benevolent when he led wars, killed children etc.?

Asked by: MizzEnigma
  • I am an atheist but,

I've never said God is immoral for what he did in the Old Testament, and I never will, for two reasons. Well, I don't believe in him is the best reason, but the other reason why I'd never call the CONCEPT of God in the Old Testament (I guess we are talking Abrahamic God) immoral is because, well, he's God. God is supposed to be all-knowing of absolutely everything past, present and future, and so, while it may seem that he is undeniably evil by human standards, he could still be moral as perhaps the wars that he led, abortions he caused, people he murdered, cities he obliterated, and races he massacred could carry on to cause more good than bad. Maybe, you never know unless you're all-knowing, these bad events go on in a cause-and-effect relationship to cause more net good than net bad. If God were real and he is indeed the God of the Torah, Bible and Quran, then he is indeed a god of benevolent intention and therefore, as he is said to work in mysterious ways, he would ultimately cause more good than evil. However, if we were to get into the subject of why he would create us with very powerful instincts to do things that he doesn't like for some undescribed reason, and then punish us with eternal, gruesome torture if we do those things, or, even better, if we don't obey him, worship him, devote our lives to him, and sacrifice ourselves to him even if we were born in a place where we never have a chance to come in contact with his religion. And then, if we do manage to, somehow, not piss him off, we get to go to heaven to, as my preacher once said, praise his name for eternity. That God sounds like an EXTREME narcissist ("I'm gonna create you to do one thing, but I want you to do the other how I want you to do it and if you don't I will punish you with fire forever, and if you do do it you get to worship my image and name forever!") and a jerk, to be perfectly honest. I mean if he is real then we owe him a measure of gratitude for giving us existence, but if all that existence is pain and torture for 99.9999999999% of us and eternal ego stroking for him from the other 0.0000000001% then - well, you get the point.

• No he can't be benevolent.

Before I go into anything what is the exact definition of (benevolent). If you look in the dictionary it means; 1) characterized by or expressing goodwill or kindly feelings: a benevolent attitude; her benevolent smile. 2) desiring to help others; charitable: gifts from several benevolent alumni. 3) intended for benefits rather than profit: a benevolent institution.