Can Infectious Disease Outbreaks be Healthy to Man-Kind?

Asked by: voltaxx
  • No , not at all

Ever since civilization has began all these prehistoric people have been through all these breakthrough and did they survive? Not they all died out. I understand both sides clearly though , don't get me wrong but , it may help build up our immune system but it also leaves us for dead.

• Certain illnesses may strengthen the immune system...

Becoming infected or obtaining some kind of disease can be life-threatening, however, it can also strengthen you, and even help your immune system. However, here's the problem: Nowadays, between the new vaccines and antibiotics that doctors are prescribing, many of the illnesses (mainly bacteria) have begun to evolve, and become more resilient, making them even more deadly. Of course, antibiotics are good, but only when you need them. The minute you get a cold, you shouldn't go and get antibiotics. It can end up doing more harm than good.

If you're someone like me, and you have a weak immune system, to the point where you get sick practically every few weeks, then perhaps antibiotics can help you, but even at that, I try to avoid them as much as possible, unless I am really desperate.

• Infectious Disease Outbreaks Could be Healthy.

Since the stone-age, humans have dealt with epidemics or pandemics, which devastated civilizations and had a high mortality rate. However, outbreaks have positive impacts for the human race.
    The first reason is that epidemics are a wake-up call for practicing good hygiene and being environmentally friendly; to illustrate: cholera outbreaks have been a result of poor sanitation and hygiene i.E.: pollution of rivers, sewage systems mixed with drinking water, not washing hands before preparing food for others or eating after using the restroom. Another example: cutting off trees, and air pollution, where causes of serious illnesses such as Tuberculosis, Pneumonia, SARS, MERS-COV (Corona-virus), Pertusis, Diphtheria, severe Influenza, and AIDS, which still are a problem nowadays.
    The Second reason is that outbreaks improve scientific studies; for example: from the micro-organisms that cause the illness, we can isolate it and analyze to find its weakness or to create anti-microbial drugs or techniques to avoid catching it.
    The third reason it changes society’s life styles or interaction; for instance: The Black Death led to the downfall of the Dark age in Europe which made the church lose its influence so it made science not repressed anymore, and since the Plague killed all of the classes, everyone was treated equally, peasants demanded higher wages and to be set free from the kings, authorities and traditions were questioned, and Monarchies collapsed. Another example is that the Yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia 1793 decreased racism and slavery to African Americans by thinking that they are immune to the disease.
    In conclusion, disease outbreaks are indeed devastating to humanity. Nevertheless they serve positive outcomes to humans. I hope people learn from epidemics since they are the wakeup call for us, and not to learn the hard way through large disease pandemics like The Black Death, or the Spanish Flu.

• No, it's in the question.

Sick people aren't healthy, I'm not doctor but I can tell that an infectious disease is not healthy. We're like vermin we'll survive anything so I doubt this does anymore good than a war. Also the only people that would think this is a good idea is probably the edgy teenager who thinks he's hardcore because he found a dead person on the internet.