• Yes, I think it depends on circumstance and individual...

I only started medicating a couple years ago (at the age of 46). I medicate daily for cluster headaches and inflammation reduction. The very first strain I ever smoked was extremely high THC (22%+). Although it helped my symptoms I had no hallucinations. About the 5th time I smoked, I had a full on trip - way out into the universe - audio, visual, time lapse, the whole nine yards. It lasted for over 3 hours - and it didn't scare me. It was amazing, actually. Anyway, The same thing happened over a year later - still medicating daily but it didn't happen again for over a year. And then it happened again last night, for a 3rd trip in 2 years. Each time it happened I was in a really happy and relaxed head space to begin with, and each time it happened using a different strain, only one of which was a Sativa. So yes, hallucinations are quite possible but I think it has as much to do with where you're at mentally and spiritually at the time of medicating as it does with the medication itself.

• Yes, I think it depends on individual and circumstances...

• Yes, I think it depends on individual and circumstance.

• Yes, especially if it is an old school Sativa.

Yes, visual, sensory, physical sensations, auditory. The Sativa flowers from the 60s and 70s caused a lot of closed eye visuals and dark room visuals as well as hallucinations in well lit rooms. Time warping, the sense that you could "see" inside your body. That extra 3D effect. Trippy: Things feel like they are coming at you. You may feel small or large. Music could enhance these effects and looking at album covers could intensify hallucinations. Also anything in your subconscious mind could have more "reality". Geometric shapes or repeating patterns or hypnogic phenomenon. Visions especially in a dark room or with eyes closed. Depends on the strain and some people naturally get higher than others. Your setting could enhance your concern about this. Since it is known that music can trigger hallucinations some people freak out when they hallucinate without music or a cartoon. Your brain already does some of these things on a very unoticeable level but the cannabis enhances the effects to the point of it feeling unusual. For example you "hear" a tune in your head but you think of it as remembering it but when you are on some Cambodian Jungle weed you think you are really hearing it.

• Cannabis is a mild psychedelic

As I stated on the headline, cannabis belongs to the category of psychedelic drugs. Although its psychedelic properties are mild, in large enough doses cannabis can cause visual and/or auditory hallucinations and strong visual distortions. I know from experience. Not everybody encounters hallucinations, but I have and I know many others who have as well.

• Can marijuana cause hallucinations?

Yes it can. I am one of those "more sensitive" people, and I have grown my own marijuana that I knew for a fact had nothing else added to it, and it still caused hallucinations. And they were not mild hallucinations. So, all in all it effects different people different ways.

• No.

A hallucination is the experience of something by the senses that isn't there. While marijuana does cause specific feelings of giddiness, hunger, pain reduction, and increased sensation, it does not cause hallucinations. This is more of a trait of other drugs, such as "acid." Marijuana is rather tame compared to other drugs when it comes to changes in perception.

• Definition Perspective Required!

Technically yes. On debate, Absolutely NOT.

You can close your eyes whilst completely sober and see things. MJ enhances sensory perception and magnifies this experience. So technically by definition you can hallucinate sober too.

In case of a debate like this. High Majority of People referring to hallucinations are likening unto acid or mild lsd trips. That is completely false. Even with strong mutated strands on your 1st try, the extra sensory perception may feel out of this world, but the extreme viewpoint of hallucinations it still won't be. If you have a comparison of the likes of lsd you will understand. Otherwise best stand down.

There needs to be education here on the difference of the technical definition and the social banter/propaganda aspect. If most are honest, they will admit they lean toward the propaganda side when saying "hallucinate". After all, alcohol and over the counter medicines cause hallucinations by technical definition. There's hardly the same concern.

Yes MJ can be abused. But overall, uncontaminated it is extremely safe and healthy to use. Don't smoke it, keep it safe. Vape or ingest if not using externally. The stigma is still there... And clearly over 60% of the uneducated minds here are helping feed that nonsense. Hence my viewpoint "NO" after reading the comments here and general experience in prior debates.

• I have read through excerpts of about a dozen or so peer reviewed research papers

(most all are coming out of Canada and UK) where the question of hallucinations and/or psychosis as a result of marijuana use is discussed. My reasons for doing this is because my 83 year old mother, a retired school counselor (someone well indoctrinated in the marijuana is a gateway drug school of thought not because of being weak minded... But because being an educator in the 60s-70s and 80s rather required you to be on board with this and especially if you're a school counselor).

She saw evidence of a water pipe on my brother's coffee table one day and therefore is on a marijuana causes hallucinations or psychosis. I assured her it does not. She argued she read it "somewhere" (and referenced a report from 30 years ago) and that it does and then said because pot today is stronger it causes people to have schizophrenia.

So of course, I had to review current data. What I found is that yes, some individuals can hallucinate while high on marijuana... But that's a far cry from causation AND the studies uniformly showed that persons who smoked more regularly were less likely to have any effect like that -- it's the people who smoke it the least (less than 3 x per week). Another researcher, a clinical psychologist noted the problem with relation vs. Causation (the fact that they are not the same thing). For example it is quite common for schizophrenics to self-medicate with all sorts of substances: alcohol, marijuana, pills, etc. and he reduced it to a chicken vs. The egg problem. Did the underlying schizophrenia cause the person to seek out self-medication -- and is the schizophrenia the reason for the psychosis or is it the substance? He went on to note that as a group, schizophrenics are far more likely than the public at large to chain smoke... Yet no one could credibly raise the possibility that use of tobacco causes schizophrenia (or hallucinations that go along with it).

I think you have to sort of agree as to what constitutes hallucinations or psychosis. To me, mis-hearing something (like maybe someone calling your name) isn't really a hallucination. It's the equivalent of an auditory fart. If however, you're seeing someone walk into your room and you're having conversations with that person... And you think they are there... (and those persons really are not there) then that... Is a hallucination. Same with seeing spiders that aren't there... Feeling and seeing bugs all over you, etc. you are getting the drift. THAT's a hallucination.

Feeling a little bit out of control because you're stoned and getting a bit anxious because you're afraid you're going to get caught, or concerned you're not going to be able to be cool on the phone... That's not hallucination nor is it psychosis. That's reasonable on one level because you're a) aware you're impaired b) cognizant that there might be consequences to being thought to be stoned and c) you become anxious. NORMAL.

• No it can't.

I've experimented with nearly all available hallucinogens, and marijuana is not one of them. (I've actually been completely unable to experience anything remotely identifiable as hallucination, beyond some experience I would assume everyone has such as: hearing someone say your name instead of something else, thinking of a smell or a particular memory and experiencing sensations associated with it... Which I feel should have their own category, and might already have.) The user is the greatest factor here. Not everyone hallucinates under the effect of LSD or Mush (blanket term for hallucinogenic mushrooms.), I've taken enough to feel confident that I'm the problem, not the drug.
    There are factors involved that may lead one to relate the two, but I think that if you investigate further, you'll find that most, if not nearly all, cases of hallucinations under the effect of marijuana was the result of other factors.
    Sleep deprivation, caffeine, weakness to subjectivity are all known potential triggers which may skew the data here. I would think we will find, in the foreseeable future, that vulnerability to hallucination can be calculated and quantified.

I have however experienced some form of paranoia (very mild) from ingesting copious amount of marijuana buttered brownies, but the effect was inferior to that of auditory triggers such as neon lights buzzing. (Or so I've heard, this was my only "external" experience, beside the effect of teenage hormonal calibration, and both were easily distinguishable from rational "normal" thought, I would have to describe the experience as being somewhat artificial. As if the emotions were not my own. )

Copious amount of coffee, added with sleep depravation is, I hear, one of the "cheapest" and most avelable way to hallucinate, but ironicly, is one of the most dangerous ones for your health and I would say, unadvisable. (tried it, you're gonna feel like hell for days for very little reward, couldn't make it until I could feel anything but really tired, nauseous and somewhat more chaotic thought processes. DON'T do it if you have any suspicions of a heart disease of potential mental instability... Or bad friends.)

If hallucinations is what you want, I hear the safest way (couldn't do much for me, even after going way past the "safe time") is sensory-deprivation chambers, and in this case, it really is just your brain playing tricks on you. (man I wanted it to work so bad, but it's a cool place to think without being bothered by external stimulus, would totally sleep in one for the rest of my life.)

• It does not cause them

Marijuana has no hallucination properties in it. So if someone says that it made them "hallucinate" then its because there was an other drug in affect while they were smoking it. (or however else they got it in their body. ) which is not the fault of the drug it is due to someone messing with it.

• Paranoia is not a hallucination.

There is no visual or auditory hallucinations as a by product from taking Marijuana. There can be high levels of paranoia, where as people who are not familiar with the true effects of the drug, can believe they are "hearing" things that do no exist. Or that they are seeing things that aren't truly there. This false statement has been perpetuated since the smear campaign of fearing timber companies against hemp products.