• If smoked, marijuana does lower blood pressure but there are some risks

When marijuana is smoked the heart rate is elevated and blood pressure does indeed drop. However, because of the elevation in the heart rate, risk of a heart attack is increased. This is true of anything that increases heart rates (smoking tobacco, jogging, aerobic exercise, etc) , so the risks have more to do with smoking than the marijuana itself. Though it could be said that people sensitive to the effects of marijuana may find themselves with an elevated heart rate regardless of how it is consumed.

• Yes

marijuana is confusing when it comes to blood pressure. This all depends on dosage, method of administration and others factors. Upon smoking, the blood pressure can temporarily increase for a short period, but with routine use, it can actually lower blood pressure. THC in marijuana relaxes the muscles, actually helping blood flow which can in fact reduce hypertension.

• Regular user, 100/65 average BP.

After 6 or 7 years of regular use -meaning every other day, at least- I've kept a relatively low blood pressure. I'm 5'10" and weigh 130-140 pounds and an ovo-lacto vegetarian diet. My BP always comes down to 90/55 after half a joint. It once reached an all-time low of 82/49 after chain smoking about a 1/4 oz.

• Actual Data on BP and pot - Case Report

Does smoking pot lower BP? My BP was 162/92 before smoking 3 hits from a water pipe . About 5 minutes after smoking pot my BP was 127/82. Pot is a vasodilator, one type of med used to lower BP, and it also has a calming effect - both of which can lower BP. Pot does raise heart rate but so does sex. I'm currently investigating why my BP is high, thus the experiment, but it is not high from smoking pot.

• 118/78 to 143/112

I quit smoking a weeks ago to find a better job. I weekly check my Bp and after a week of not smoking my blood pressure rose 25 points. I thought my machine was malfunctioning until my wife tried it ... Now I have to decide more money for my family and take Bp medicine or smoke and lead a healthy life. Also I ride my bike 6mi a day ( Look out non random drug screening jobs, here I come!)

• Yep eating marijuana does anyway.

I'm in the hospital receiving my third round of 94 hrs of continuous chemotherapy to battle stage 4 Diffused Large B /Cell Lymphoma. I talked to my doctor about using cannabis for pain management and to help me sleep. He was not only accepting of it, but preferred this method over harsh pharmaceuticals. I am discrete, not because I don't want to share (ha) simply because it seems appropriate at this time and location.
    My husband made some canna- rice crispy treats, and I ate a couple right before, probably 10 minutes before the NA came to do my vitals. When I was admitted this afternoon, before I ate my treats, I was 113 / something. Now I'm 91/67
    So, I do think it does. Since this is my third cycle, my third hospitalization, I've been aware of this trend and been keeping mental notes. I Now I see that it is absolutely true. My blood pressure lowers, not that it needs to, when I eat cannabis.

• I agree it does

I ran out of blood pressure meds. My blood pressure was 159/98, after using mariuana my blood pressure reduced dramatically to 128/84, so I know it works. I also have another occasion where i just routinely check my vidals. One of them was my blood pressure was 148/93 and then 130/81 afterwards. That's two reasons I know it works.

• I've always had a healthy reading, and after smoking, it dropped significantly.

I was at a concert, and I smoked right before. I'm on a diet, so I hadn't been eating too much. I didn't drink enough water that day, too. I wS so excited for the concert, sat front row, and fainted twice. I didn't have a drop of alcohol all day. I've always had healthy/normal bp readings, but this time it was extremely low. I finally came to about fifteen minutes later, and was able to get my spot back in the front row :) I smoke occasionally, but have never fainted in my life. The paramedics concluded that smoking marijuana accounted for my low blood pressure, and I would agree.

• From 148/90 to 108/65

At the suggestion of a friend I tried some marijuana, suffered a stroke in Nov of last year as a result I have to check bp twice a day, physician has me on bp meds (148/90), took a few puffs and did a check (108/65). Thought it a fluke, tried it again the next night to be sure 106/60, not to mention the great nights sleep I got, smoke it everyday now, bp is between 104 to 110...Conclusion ....It works and better yet no side effects.. My doctor is scratching her head, can't explain the drop in bp...No longer taking bp meds...Per doctor, not needed

• I discovered this by accident.

I sometimes smoke a very small amount in the evening. By small I mean two to three tokes and never any more than that. Lately I have been checking my BP around noon every day. It has been averaging right around 150/90 which is high but according to the new guide lines (I'm over 65) not super high. Last week I got a reading 135/85. The only difference was I had smoked a bit the night before. For a few days after that it was back to the 150/90. I smoked a bit last night and at noon today it was 134/83.

• Probably depends on the person

Personally, when I smoke my blood pressure goes through the roof (160/100) so I stopped smoking completely. I already have high blood pressure even though I'm young and skinny! It probably just depends on an individual's unique response to marijuana. For some it lowers it, for others it may make blood pressure go crazy.

• I would think not.

When marijuana is smoked it raises the blood pressure and heart rate. The risk of heart attack is increased. Although marijuana has been proven to have some health benefits, smoking it negates most of them. Much like tobacco itself is not harmful to the body, but smoking it is, smoking marijuana takes away any positive aspect of the plant itself.

• No

I have never actually heard of marijuana lowering someone's blood pressure. I would actually think that it would raise someone's blood pressure because the effects of it can be similar to when a person smokes cigarettes and there is medical proof that that does raise a person's blood pressure. Although, I am ultimately unsure.

• Eating edible marijuana has caused my blood pressure to be super high 160/100

I'm in my 50's and eat a sliver of a weed treat to fight chronic pain and to sleep at night, so I only eat a little a couple hours before going to bed. Since I've been medicating with weed on a regular basis my pain is less and I sleep really well, but my blood pressure has been really high when before medicating with week II had normal blood pressure. I'm a bit concerned about this and wonder what the long term affect will be? I'm going to start a vigorous excersize program and see if that will help with the blood pressure. I excersize but not vigorously.

• No way is this clear

Now that I am having heart problems my most loyal friend pot is shooting my pulse to 140 and bp 155 90 and causing palpitation. I am fine until I smoke. Guess I have to quit smoking. Its cookie time I think or maybe butter? Will check back if still alive.

• Doesn't Seem To...

My partner and I have been monitoring this using a home blood pressure test. The results clearly showed that smoking dope increased blood pressure. We had prior to this quit smoking any dope for 9 months. We had regularly tested ourselves (at least once a week) while off it and our readings were normal. Readings during the time we began smoking weed showed 'high normal'. There was a clear and distinct difference. Sad to admit it but it does raise blood pressure, not lower it.

• Not for Me.

It makes mine go through the roof, and I have been smoking for several years now. Though, of I were to quit smoking, drinking, and reduce my severe hypertension, I could give you a more accurate opinion. I am going with "No" but toke up anyway, it's relaxing after a short while. Just steer clear of pigs, they will make your heart explode.

ronmorgen says2014-02-07T15:59:11.780
I am a daily smoker but I have noticed when i abstain my pressure skyrockets. I have run experiments on myself to prove this and every time my pressure comes back down when i resume smoking.