• Kidney induced hypertension

I have chronic kidney disease from a genetic defect. My current kidney function (GFR) is 16%. As kidney function decreases, hypertension rises (undisputed medical fact). I currently take 3 hypertension meds (an ARB, CCB and beta blocker) all at or near the max dose. I take my bp at least 3 times per day using a home machine that has been tested by my nephrologist for accuracy. When not using medical marijuana for 2 weeks, my average bp is: 145/92. Using medical marijuana 1xday in the evening, my average bp is: 130/82. The lowest readings are 1-2 hours after medical marijuana use. However, all daily readings are significantly lower.

Note 1: i understand that initial marijuana use usually increases bp (and hr). However, that effect is quickly diminishes. I have not tested this, as i was initially using the medical marijuana as a sleep aid/pain relief and therefore was not monitoring my bp with it's initial use.

Note 2: i have also read there is a 'rebound effect' where bp increases with cessation of medical marijuana use. Unfortunately, in the tests, the participants only abstained from medical marijuana for 2 days. My period of abstinence was 2 weeks. The 'rebound effect' diminished after 3-5 days in my case.

• If smoked, marijuana does lower blood pressure but there are some risks

When marijuana is smoked the heart rate is elevated and blood pressure does indeed drop. However, because of the elevation in the heart rate, risk of a heart attack is increased. This is true of anything that increases heart rates (smoking tobacco, jogging, aerobic exercise, etc) , so the risks have more to do with smoking than the marijuana itself. Though it could be said that people sensitive to the effects of marijuana may find themselves with an elevated heart rate regardless of how it is consumed.

• Yes

marijuana is confusing when it comes to blood pressure. This all depends on dosage, method of administration and others factors. Upon smoking, the blood pressure can temporarily increase for a short period, but with routine use, it can actually lower blood pressure. THC in marijuana relaxes the muscles, actually helping blood flow which can in fact reduce hypertension.

• It lowered mine

I am 60 years old and have had high blood pressure for 10 + years. It was under control through medication until recently. I am on 4 different meds for it and pressure is still high. I smoked marijuana to experiment and my BP dropped from 158/102 to 126/63, which is optimum. I've tried this experiment 3 times now and get the same results each time. So, I'm going to ask for a prescription card to buy from a dispensary.

• It lowered mine

• Lowers mine but

I think it varies between users, first time users might experience an increase in blood pressure while chronic users experience a decrease in blood pressure. It also depends on the dose, administration and posture, so it's not exactly black and white, the effects of marijuana on blood pressure are very complex.

• Yes it is also a blood pressure medicine

My grandfather died at 50 with heart attack and my father at 65 and I developed high BP at age 30 and starting taking 2 BP meds that made me feel terrible and not work properly so I tried marijuana and immediatly felt better, less tense and not on edge so I checked my BP and it was in normal range for the first time in a very long time. High Blood Pressure effects many parts of the body, my wife could defiantly tell a change. When blood pressure decreases it dialates your veins and arteries greatly improving the rigidness of the male organ. True Story!

• Went from 172/95 to 140/ 80 after vaping caramelo strain

I take my blood pressure, then vape a few pulls of caramelo. After ten minutes i take bp again and it can drop up to 32 points on top number, 5-15 points lower. I did the same test on an older friend it worked as well although not as much. He smoked it which burns up a lot of the beneficial cannabinoids. I would imagine most indica strains would have a positive effect on bp. Caramelo is a very relaxing, feel good strain, slightly psychotropic. I also have a spine injury that has been causing shooting pain down legs and mmj has helped. John

• Medical Marijuana Can lower your blood pressure!

I am 60 years old and for the past 6 months I have smoked pot in the morning, a hit or two in the afternoon and then I use it to sleep. Now that I smoke in the day my blood pressure has dropped. Was about 149/89 to 161/ 92 now my pressure stays normal. My father was in his 50's when he started getting admitted to hospitals right from the doctors offices His was crazy high!!!! . So it is in my DNA! I take no pills.
    So, for you of those that really do not know... I am one person that it has worked for. I only purchase strains that are good for pain, stress and to just relax. Ask the person at the local pot store, they know the strains and will help you.

• My blood pressure drops to "optimal" range when I smoke.

Yes it definitely lowers my blood pressure. I have been on hydrochloride for a total of over 8 years off and on. My blood pressure readings average around 145/85 even with the medication. I monitor my blood pressure at home because occasionally I will get very high readings (it has gotten up to 190/95). However, when I smoke a joint, my blood pressure readings drop to optimal ranges (average is 120/77). I have to stop taking the HB Meds when I smoke or my BP drops too low. I do notice that when I stop smoking, within a couple of days my BP rises higher than normal for a couple of days, but within two days of resuming my BP Meds it returns to the average range of 145/85. I tested this several times and without a doubt, smoking weed definitely drops my blood pressure.

• Probably depends on the person

Personally, when I smoke my blood pressure goes through the roof (160/100) so I stopped smoking completely. I already have high blood pressure even though I'm young and skinny! It probably just depends on an individual's unique response to marijuana. For some it lowers it, for others it may make blood pressure go crazy.

• I would think not.

When marijuana is smoked it raises the blood pressure and heart rate. The risk of heart attack is increased. Although marijuana has been proven to have some health benefits, smoking it negates most of them. Much like tobacco itself is not harmful to the body, but smoking it is, smoking marijuana takes away any positive aspect of the plant itself.

• No

I have never actually heard of marijuana lowering someone's blood pressure. I would actually think that it would raise someone's blood pressure because the effects of it can be similar to when a person smokes cigarettes and there is medical proof that that does raise a person's blood pressure. Although, I am ultimately unsure.

• Lowers mine but

• No! Absolutely not!

My husband was just smoking and we checked his bp after he passed out and quit breathing. His bp was 170/120! We monitored his bp for the next 3 hours! He use to be a regular smoker, then he had 3 stents put in his heart after 100% blockage in his RCA and a heart attack!
    If you keep smoking, you're an idiot! He found out the hard way!
    Smoking marijuana does increase your heart rate, causes blood clots and can kill you!
    I am also a former user and beg anyone that still smokes to PLEASE quit! It's not worth it!!!

• Yes and no for me.

Strange , I'm 28 and when I smoke pot my bp increases to about 140-150 and causes tightness in my chest .But when I smoke pure bho my bp actually drops a few points and takes away my chest pain. So I guess it depends on purity of product . As marijuana plant matter usually has some type of nasty on it from the growing or curing.Bho can be vac purged to take all the impurities so I feel if I can find the right bho ill be ok .

• Eating edible marijuana has caused my blood pressure to be super high 160/100

I'm in my 50's and eat a sliver of a weed treat to fight chronic pain and to sleep at night, so I only eat a little a couple hours before going to bed. Since I've been medicating with weed on a regular basis my pain is less and I sleep really well, but my blood pressure has been really high when before medicating with week II had normal blood pressure. I'm a bit concerned about this and wonder what the long term affect will be? I'm going to start a vigorous excersize program and see if that will help with the blood pressure. I excersize but not vigorously.

• No way is this clear

Now that I am having heart problems my most loyal friend pot is shooting my pulse to 140 and bp 155 90 and causing palpitation. I am fine until I smoke. Guess I have to quit smoking. Its cookie time I think or maybe butter? Will check back if still alive.

• Doesn't Seem To...

My partner and I have been monitoring this using a home blood pressure test. The results clearly showed that smoking dope increased blood pressure. We had prior to this quit smoking any dope for 9 months. We had regularly tested ourselves (at least once a week) while off it and our readings were normal. Readings during the time we began smoking weed showed 'high normal'. There was a clear and distinct difference. Sad to admit it but it does raise blood pressure, not lower it.

• Not for Me.

It makes mine go through the roof, and I have been smoking for several years now. Though, of I were to quit smoking, drinking, and reduce my severe hypertension, I could give you a more accurate opinion. I am going with "No" but toke up anyway, it's relaxing after a short while. Just steer clear of pigs, they will make your heart explode.

ronmorgen says2014-02-07T15:59:11.780
I am a daily smoker but I have noticed when i abstain my pressure skyrockets. I have run experiments on myself to prove this and every time my pressure comes back down when i resume smoking.