• Kidney induced hypertension

I have chronic kidney disease from a genetic defect. My current kidney function (GFR) is 16%. As kidney function decreases, hypertension rises (undisputed medical fact). I currently take 3 hypertension meds (an ARB, CCB and beta blocker) all at or near the max dose. I take my bp at least 3 times per day using a home machine that has been tested by my nephrologist for accuracy. When not using medical marijuana for 2 weeks, my average bp is: 145/92. Using medical marijuana 1xday in the evening, my average bp is: 130/82. The lowest readings are 1-2 hours after medical marijuana use. However, all daily readings are significantly lower.

Note 1: i understand that initial marijuana use usually increases bp (and hr). However, that effect is quickly diminishes. I have not tested this, as i was initially using the medical marijuana as a sleep aid/pain relief and therefore was not monitoring my bp with it's initial use.

Note 2: i have also read there is a 'rebound effect' where bp increases with cessation of medical marijuana use. Unfortunately, in the tests, the participants only abstained from medical marijuana for 2 days. My period of abstinence was 2 weeks. The 'rebound effect' diminished after 3-5 days in my case.

• If smoked, marijuana does lower blood pressure but there are some risks

When marijuana is smoked the heart rate is elevated and blood pressure does indeed drop. However, because of the elevation in the heart rate, risk of a heart attack is increased. This is true of anything that increases heart rates (smoking tobacco, jogging, aerobic exercise, etc) , so the risks have more to do with smoking than the marijuana itself. Though it could be said that people sensitive to the effects of marijuana may find themselves with an elevated heart rate regardless of how it is consumed.

• Yes

marijuana is confusing when it comes to blood pressure. This all depends on dosage, method of administration and others factors. Upon smoking, the blood pressure can temporarily increase for a short period, but with routine use, it can actually lower blood pressure. THC in marijuana relaxes the muscles, actually helping blood flow which can in fact reduce hypertension.

• Can't breathe. BP...Too...Low...Call..9..1..1.

Had an edible brownie (44mg CO2 Medi Oil). After about an hour and half my BP was 74/42 and heart rate was at over 150 bpm and then lingered around 120+ for a couple hours. Had to call 911, could barely breath, my entire body was pale, blue hands and feet, eyes were black. Besides the effects of the herb, they found something wrong with my heart (heart attacks and heart disease run in the family).

• Yes, It Lowers BP

I had always thought that marijuana raised blood pressure just because it raises your heart beat. Recently, I have had to stop daily use of the herb after finding out I was pregnant. And now I am diagnosed with justational hypertension. So my anecdotal evidence supports that weed lowers your blood pressure.

• Blood pressure 140/95-100

Since I have been in a motorcycle accident my blood pressure has been way higher than normal, not sure why but have been a medical marijuana patient in Michigan for a few years now....This is definitely a good remedy for high blood pressure.I check mine regularly and it keeps me down t 117-120/ 65-75 on a regular basis....Big farm doesn't wanna hear that , I can assure you...Used in moderation I believe this is going to be a thing of the future..

• Blood pressure drops drastically

My blood pressure can skyrocket to emergency room status (190/110) several times a month even on my medication (lisinopril 20 mg). When this happens, I smoke a bowl of weed or so and my blood pressure goes down to normal range, last time from 175/108 to 119/78 after marijuana. Marijuana use works better than any blood pressure medication I have tried previous.

• Yes and it should be prescribed by mainline medicine.

For the same reasons marijuana is beneficial to glaucoma patients it IS beneficial to persons with high blood pressure. It can not only lower it during use but for prolonged periods of time with low dosage. Relaxing muscles including the ones in the cardio resperatory system thereby relaxing arteries and veins as well. There are bound to be those whom it does not assist or whom experience higher blood pressure or what is more likely no change in blood pressure. There are always the exceptions. Having 85% yes result on the question is virtually the highest possible result you can expect when asking a yes/no or A vs. B question such as which candy do you prefer. Higher than 85% occurs very, very rarely. Judge for yourself.

• Absolutely lowered my BP.

I was prescribed medical Cannabis for chronic pain. After 6-8 weeks of regular, low-dose use by consuming edibles I started noticing my blood pressure was getting better. I am currently taking less than 1/2 of my BP medication and my doctor and I have not determined, as of this post additional benefit. No Pain no high BP.

• Works for me!

One hit if some decent weed and my pressure will drop from ex: 150/95 to 135/85 in less than 5 minutes. Yes my heat rate rises, but very little. It might go from 70 to 74 bpm at the most. So it seems to me that I personally am getting a valuable benefit from cannabis.

• Probably depends on the person

Personally, when I smoke my blood pressure goes through the roof (160/100) so I stopped smoking completely. I already have high blood pressure even though I'm young and skinny! It probably just depends on an individual's unique response to marijuana. For some it lowers it, for others it may make blood pressure go crazy.

• I would think not.

When marijuana is smoked it raises the blood pressure and heart rate. The risk of heart attack is increased. Although marijuana has been proven to have some health benefits, smoking it negates most of them. Much like tobacco itself is not harmful to the body, but smoking it is, smoking marijuana takes away any positive aspect of the plant itself.

• No

I have never actually heard of marijuana lowering someone's blood pressure. I would actually think that it would raise someone's blood pressure because the effects of it can be similar to when a person smokes cigarettes and there is medical proof that that does raise a person's blood pressure. Although, I am ultimately unsure.

• Yes and no for me.

Strange , I'm 28 and when I smoke pot my bp increases to about 140-150 and causes tightness in my chest .But when I smoke pure bho my bp actually drops a few points and takes away my chest pain. So I guess it depends on purity of product . As marijuana plant matter usually has some type of nasty on it from the growing or curing.Bho can be vac purged to take all the impurities so I feel if I can find the right bho ill be ok .

• Eating edible marijuana has caused my blood pressure to be super high 160/100

I'm in my 50's and eat a sliver of a weed treat to fight chronic pain and to sleep at night, so I only eat a little a couple hours before going to bed. Since I've been medicating with weed on a regular basis my pain is less and I sleep really well, but my blood pressure has been really high when before medicating with week II had normal blood pressure. I'm a bit concerned about this and wonder what the long term affect will be? I'm going to start a vigorous excersize program and see if that will help with the blood pressure. I excersize but not vigorously.

• No way is this clear

Now that I am having heart problems my most loyal friend pot is shooting my pulse to 140 and bp 155 90 and causing palpitation. I am fine until I smoke. Guess I have to quit smoking. Its cookie time I think or maybe butter? Will check back if still alive.

• Doesn't Seem To...

My partner and I have been monitoring this using a home blood pressure test. The results clearly showed that smoking dope increased blood pressure. We had prior to this quit smoking any dope for 9 months. We had regularly tested ourselves (at least once a week) while off it and our readings were normal. Readings during the time we began smoking weed showed 'high normal'. There was a clear and distinct difference. Sad to admit it but it does raise blood pressure, not lower it.

• Not for Me.

It makes mine go through the roof, and I have been smoking for several years now. Though, of I were to quit smoking, drinking, and reduce my severe hypertension, I could give you a more accurate opinion. I am going with "No" but toke up anyway, it's relaxing after a short while. Just steer clear of pigs, they will make your heart explode.

ronmorgen says2014-02-07T15:59:11.780
I am a daily smoker but I have noticed when i abstain my pressure skyrockets. I have run experiments on myself to prove this and every time my pressure comes back down when i resume smoking.