Can one really enjoy Heaven while knowing there are people suffering infinitely in Hell?

Asked by: retroman000
  • Transcending Earthly Conception

It is foolish to think that we would have any sort of the "feelings" we have here on Earth as we would in heaven. Anything that is based in fear is not of God, and the root "feeling" of worrying for those you had known on your stay on Earth is based in fear. Fear that they are in torture or any other negative image you can come up with. The real work needs to be done now, by us, and others we know, so we enter the Kingdom of God. Lastly, none of us know the exact measure that God uses to make that decision for an individuals soul....Nor do we really know someone the way God knows someone. The one that you think you would be able to grieve for in heaven could have spent a lifetime causing pain and grief in thousands of peoples life, and you not know it

• Empathizing with lost souls would serve no purpose.

One can love someone (love here meaning the act of wanting the highest good for another) without empathizing with them. If there are souls in hell which have no possible hope of escaping, then empathizing with these souls would serve no purpose but to make those in heaven miserable.

As C.S. Lewis once said: “Either the day must come when joy prevails and all the makers of misery are no longer able to infect it, or else, for ever and ever, the makers of misery can destroy in others the happiness they reject for themselves.”

• You Reap What You Sow ...

I try to live a good, decent life. I help others, take care of my family, practice my faith, etc. I'm not saying that I'm perfect, but I have no arrest record. I practice no illegal activities. I've never even been given a speeding ticket. I know my Savior and He knows me.

I have no desire to be cremated, when I die, because I'm trying (in life) to avoid the fire. I pray for those who aren't living as they should, because I do believe in Hell. I pray for non-believers, because they too are facing the worst. But ... The choice is theirs. I cannot make it for them.

At Christ's crucifixion, one of the condemned thieves admitted that he deserved the brutal death he was about to receive but added that Christ did not. He then asked Christ to remember him. This was an individual who had lived a bad life. He had made many mistakes. Still, he acknowledged Christ in his last moments of life. Christ assured the thief that he'd be "with him in paradise".

It's never too late to turn a life around. It's a matter of whether the individual wants to do so. It's never too late to accept faith. But, again, it's a choice that each of us make. I cannot make that decision for anyone except myself. Given Scripture descriptions:

In heaven the blessedness of the righteous consists in the possession of "life everlasting," "an eternal weight of glory" ( 2 Corinthians 4:17 ), an exemption from all sufferings for ever, a deliverance from all evils ( 2 Corinthians 5:1 2 Corinthians 5:2 ) and from the society of the wicked ( 2 Timothy 4:18 ), bliss without termination, the "fulness of joy" for ever ( Luke 20:36 ; 2 co Luke 4:16 Luke 4:18 ; 1 Peter 1:4 ; 5:10 ; 1 John 3:2 ). The believer's heaven is not only a state of everlasting blessedness, but also a "place", a place "prepared" for them ( John 14:2 ).

I cannot imagine those who are there being worried about the ones in Hell!

• Yes, by definition.

By definition, heaven is a realm of eternal happiness. If heaven is a realm of eternal happiness, then unhappiness cannot exist in heaven. If unhappiness cannot exist, it is not possible for an inhabitant to feel upset. Inhabitants of heaven will not be upset that some people are in hell because there will be no capacity for unhappiness.

• Not at all.

If one were to be sent to Heaven, I can't fathom how they could enjoy their time there knowing all the other denominations and religions are being tortured in Hell. Even the ones who actually deserve to be punished only made finite transgressions for infinite punishment. It seems almost sadistic the way some people talk about how they'll enjoy watching everyone else burn in Hell.

• This question is an evil-test

, and everybody who clicked "yes" has failed. If you ENJOY the knowledge of people receiving infinite punishment for their finite crimes, you are an evil, callous individual and will not be going to heaven. Somebody like you would be going to hell for a front row seat at the best S&M show the afterlife has to offer...(probably with a gigantic erection).

In reality, nobody can "really enjoy Heaven while knowing there are people suffering infinitely in Hell" because there is no such place as heaven.

• Not unless you have no ability to empathize or reason.

I suppose it would be possible to 'enjoy heaven' with the sure knowledge that there are people suffering infinite torment in hell; assuming, of course, that you are a sociopath with absolutely no ability whatsoever to empathize or feel bad for other people.
    We humans live finite lives; it is literally impossible for us to ever commit any crime or atrocity worthy of an 'infinite' punishment. As any such punishment would serve no purpose whatsoever, seeing as it never ends, it is impossible as well for it to be 'justified' in any way.

Any being in heaven with actual critical reasoning skills would at the very least see this situation as morally unjust; being infinitely punished for not believing in god, or the right god. Never mind the fact that belief is not a choice; I cannot 'choose' to believe in god, as I find the core idea to be logically incompatible with the other many ideas attached to the concept. I also find the idea of a being who allows the infinite torment of beings for no greater reason than not 'believing' in him to be absolutely sickening, and I simply cannot fathom how some people manage to rationalize this away.

So, in short, I don't think it is at all possible to 'enjoy' an eternity at the side of the being who callously allows any arbitrary number of people to suffer an eternity of inherently unjust and undeserved suffering because they didn't 'believe' in him. It may be possible if you lack the ability to examine the situation with any amount of reasoning, or any ability to empathize with others, but those people are fundamentalists and sociopaths, respectively, and hardly represent the majority of people.