• Too much overthinking can lead to psychological problems.

I personally do have OCD because of my overthinking (I do not blame the philosophy itself, it is probably just my mind focused always on overthinking almost every little problem, and philosophy is a subjects based on problems, even to solve them if it is possible, and find a possibility). But I have also heard about other individual philosophy lovers who suffers from schizophrenia, anxiety, several types of phobias.

• Too much thinking can lead to several psychological problems.

Well, I am not sure how can it effect our minds, but I think every intellectual person (even not) has experienced at least once in a lifetime things such as depersonalization, derealization, existential anxiety, or had anxiety problems. I was always interested in big questions. I made a quite big perspective through the years, and now I have OCD (maybe I can't blame philosophy itself, but my overthinking could help for its creation). I have also heard about philosophy lovers suffer from different kinds of phobias, schizophrenia, anxiety...

• Let sleeping dogs lie...

One of my favorite films is I Heart Huckabees. In it, the protagonist is seeking answers to some deep seating questions he's been facing. He finds a couple who run an "Existential Detective " Business, who open with the following lines:

Mr. Markovski, we see
    a lot of people in here...
    Who claim they want to know
    the ultimate truth about reality.
    They want to peer under the surface
    at the big everything...
    But this can be a very painful
    process full of surprises.
    It can dismantle the world
    as you know it.
    That's Why most people prefer to remain
    on the surface of things.
    Maybe you should go home.
    Let sleeping dogs lie.
    Take it easy.
    What do you say?

If you're going to break down your worldview, you better be up for the long and arduous task of putting it back together in a new way.

• Does 'philosophy' make you crazy? It depends on the philosophy and on the type of person studying it.

Despite our culture's worship of Aristotle (who is greatly overrated in my opinion, and whose philosophy has become problematic for our present epoch), there are many philosophies which are radically different from one another. Ultimately, modes of cognition (and hence philosophies) depend on bodily form or, more precisely, morphogenesis.

A medieval Russian monk, Theophan the Greek, is belived to have told the icon painter Anton Rublev:

"Great knowledge multiplies your sorrows".

("Великие познание помнажает скорбы".)

• There are people in the world that enjoy or regrettably have a 6th sense.

It will make you crazy, and for good reason. Social order. Ignorance is a tool of acceptance, a requirement to a society that must have varying sets of metal sets to function as a unit. It's painful, beautiful, and at times isolating because there are those who can see a world that others don't. But sometimes it can be a runaway train mentally. Somehow the fact that it makes someone crazy is almost written in our DNA, to stop, as a necessity to keep us from the ultimate truth. That's where god has his hands on us. However, you are blessed to have a gift, and for some it can be a curse. Know when to just stop, and life will move along just fine.

• Insanity and philosophy go together like bacon and eggs

Knowing some introductory Plato will come in handy next time you're wracking your brain for conversation starters at a cocktail party, but bring up any of the fun jargon from your seminar courses and you'll soon find yourself committed by your friends and family. Good times though. If anyone ever figures out what Wittgenstein was actually getting at, post it on here after the insanity's kicked in!

• Philosophy has the potential to destroy your reality and identity, which can lead to insanity.

Schools of philosophy study the concept of suicide and whether life is worth living. The consideration of this primary problem could be considered insanity. Existential philosophy in general speaks to this topic and generally the experience of meaning being brought into question. This all builds off the idea that existence precedes essence. The experience of such Existential awareness can often be accompanied by extreme anguish.

• Yes it can

When i think of a philosophical thought too much and too deeply i feel i have to stop encase i start to believe it. For example I could get anxiety that i could start to believe that my life is a dream. Whether i'd be 'insane' because of this would be unknown as nobody knows what life is so i could be the sane one for thinking we are in a dream and you could all be insane for thinking I'm not. Anyway..To the rest of you i would be! For those that say no, i don't think your analysing or thinking about it to the same extent.

• What is Crazy?

Before the question can be interpreted logically, it should be given a falsifiable hypothesis and underlying concepts should be evaluated. The hypothesis is the statement "Philosophy does make you crazy." The first two underlying claims address the clarification of language. The third underlying question may shed light on the deception of the question itself.

First, philosophy is defined as:
    Dictionary.Com says Philosophy is "the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct."

Second, crazy is defined as:
    Dictionary.Com gives us two definitions: "(1) mentally deranged; demented; insane." Or, "(2) senseless; impractical; totally unsound."

With this clarification of language, the statement "Philosophy does make you crazy" appears to be a logical contradiction. When the statement is reworded with provided definitions: "rational investigation does give rise to senselessness, insanity, and dementia." This statement is just as contradictory as the statement "four sides do give rise to triangles."

To uncover the third underlying claim, it would be necessary to inquire upon the origin of crazy:
    From a psychological standpoint, it could be true that an excess of stress does give rise to crazy. Furthermore, it could be true for some that critical thinking does give rise to an excess of stress. Finally, it could be true that Philosophy does give rise to relatively greater levels of critical thinking. Yet the debate is surrounded on the idea that philosophy - literally, the love of knowledge - causes crazy directly.

In conclusion, when conducting rational investigation of truth on the statement "Philosophy does make you crazy," certain concepts become clear. The concept of logical contradiction in the claim itself, and the concept of confusing correlation for causation. It very well could be true that there is a positive correlation between philosophy and craziness; however, it cannot be stressed enough, correlation is not to be confused with causation.

Tbh, if Philosophy is making you crazy, you're doing it wrong.

• Compared with what?

Alternatives to philosophy:

1) To ignore it and follow your nose. That means spending a lot of time being confused, threatened and frustrated by things that more knowledge and understanding would have explained.

2) Avoid having to think by adopting a doctrine. Since all religions are different, then either all bar one are wrong, or they are all wrong.

If you represent all religious beliefs on a Venn diagram, the tiny area where all of the religions intersect would give you purely philosophical concepts. "Do unto others ..." etc.

My impression from philosophy forums is that many (but not all) contributors are so caught up in their ideas of what should be that they display less understanding of human diversity than even children I've met. People can believe they have solved the problems of the universe while being embarrassingly naive about their own backyard.

Often there's the "geek problem" where smart kids are rejected for being different. So they focus on study and hobbies, living in their own little mental world,

People lacking in social skills can appear crazy to the socially adroit, but it's not the same.

• No, philosophy has the opposite effect!

The basis of philosophy is to help make sense of the world so that we become more aware of how it all ticks. There are of course some "pseudo-philosophies" that are nutty in and of themselves that can make people crazy (like paranoid theories of the Illuminati being behind everything). But when we're talking about Philosophy with a capital "P" as shaped by such great European and Eastern philosophers as Socrates, Buddha, Aristotle, Kant, etc, then no-- philosophy won't make you crazy. If anything, it'll make you saner than everybody else!

• PHILOSOPHY will not make us crazy.It gives us a chance to be free.

Philosophy makes sense.Why?Because it's about our life.It's not contrasted to RELIGION,instead,it will teach us to be a good man doing the right thing which every religion wants.It doesn't mean that when we decided to start a career in philosophy we will also believe in other philosophers beliefs or theories.Everything always depends on us,the thing is.. We study philosophy to stand for our own belief.Crazy is not the right term,free is.