Can religion be a force for women’s rights instead of a source of women’s oppression?

• The history of social justice reads like a who's who of Christian thought.

The term and modern concept of "social justice" was coined by Jesuit priest Luigi Taparelli in 1840 based on the teachings of St. Thomas Aquinas and given further exposure in 1848 by Antonio Rosmini-Serbati. (http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/Social_justice)

Specifically, womens rights, abolition of slavery, prison reform, children's rights, and so much more.

So, Christianity has a long history of seeking justice and equality for socially disadvantaged people.

Not just in the New Testament - Galatians 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

But also direct quote from God in the Old Testament - Joel 2:29
    “Even on the male and female servants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.

• Religion Always Holds Women Back

No, a religion cannot be a force for women's rights instead of a source for women's oppression as all the major religions of the world have always sought to repress women in to either subservient or lessened roles from men. As new religions rarely form, I see no reason that this is likely to change.

dreamshadow says2013-06-26T01:17:55.460
I believe that depends on what religion we are speaking of.
AresKnight says2013-06-26T02:33:07.887
I agree with dreamshadow. And it also is malformed because i agree that a religion can posses those qualities, but so far none have. Most religions, including Christianity, say to treat woman like property.
Vox_Veritas says2015-12-07T22:17:52.710
There's nothing about Christianity which oppresses women.