• It definitely can, no matter how much it happens.

(Keep in mind all of this is hypothetical.) Take a mormon family. This family believes that all gays will burn in hell, and actively protest them. The family has a baby, who grows up to be gay. The parents find out, and fights around the house ensue. The isolation of the teen and the fighting against the teen are all causes of depression. The family then abuses the teen (still hypothetical.) This is, yet again, another cause of depression. To deal with this, the teen starts taking drugs as an escape, which is, guess what, a cause of depression, not to mention he'll be even more of an outcast. Finally, the family decides to kick him out of the house. Not only is he even more of an outcast, but major events, i.e. losing your home, are also causes. So yeah, it definitely is, and I just listed the major one, LGBT rights. Imagine if an evangelistic family found their child playing pokemon?

• The Religion is designed to make you feel guilty and inadequate unless you blindly submit. It is psychologically forged fear mongering.

The Religion is designed to make you feel guilty and inadequate unless you blindly submit. It is psychologically forged fear mongering. Those elements of growing depression within you. Then they will promise you feigned fellowship and love, along with strong guilt and inadequacy unless you bow to the human sacrifice. Absolute mental and emotional bullying at its heart. Christianity births and foster depression and anxiety. Throw away every HeZues book in the house, and stop listening to Xtians making you feel bad so you can be like them. The healing can start moment one that you do this for yourself and family.

The Religion is designed to make you feel guilty and inadequate unless you blindly submit. It is psychologically forged fear mongering. Those re elements of growing depression within you. Then they will promise you feigned fellowship and love, along with strong guilt and inadequacy unless you bow to the human sacrifice. Absolute mental and emotional bullying at its heart. Christianity births and foster depression and anxiety. Throw away every HeZues book in the house, and stop listening to Xtians making you feel bad so you can be like them. The healing can start moment one that you do this for yourself and family.

• Totalitarian mind control

There is a reason that Constantine favored Christianity, and there is a reason the corporations that control the government favor christianity (The family by Jeff Sharlett).
    Like the totalitarian structure of corporations , christian values have you wholly sacrificing yourself (the only thing you really have, your mind will and body) for an agenda outside yourself, and over which you have zero say.

This is the height of self abandonement, the height of nihilism.
    All religions are about destroying one's soul for the "greater good"...Code for someone else's agenda and profit.

"Spiritual" phenomenon , paranormal can be exsperienced, but you need to do it on your own and think for yourself instead of autiomatically choosing scientism or some vanmpiric religion.
    The reason these two are the most popular is that they serve someone's agenda.

Think for yourself, guard your mind and energy from the exploitation of these.

• Yes! It can!

Certain religions don't accept relationships between men and man or woman and woman, sexual indentity, or simply for example that you are held down by religion and can't try new things because eating pork is haram.
    A religion can make you depressed in many ways and you only believe in that religion because you were raised in it.
    I suggest you open your mind a little, and if possible leave your religion and its rules out of your head for just 5 minutes.
    Your brain will inediately change. And if you like that particular change then I suggest you do it more often.
    Untill you completely forget about it.

• It depends on the person...

Some people look at religion and go "no matter what, something loves me." Others would say " if there is something out there, it cannot love me because I don't love myself. " Religion can also be a place of bullying, just like a schoolyard. Telling someone that they are sinners who are doomed can motivate people, but in my experience, it pushes them deeper into depression, as they see it as that even an all-loving God doesn't care about them, so why would anyone else?

• Religion does not help, only makes you ask more questions...

A source of control and manipulation with supposed stories about what "could" happen after you die. The truth is that no-one knows... Not really. We can think we know but I don't thin we can ever 100 per cent know fully. That's what faith is about. Hell makes people depressed so can any other idea of torment, they make themselves be good; an inner self-control but what type of life is that ?

• Found solace in Evolutionary biologists.

I suffer with anxiety and recently pondered the question "I wonder what will happen after I die". The thought plunged me into deep depression and I believe that I momentarily suffered from some kind of psychosis. I plunged into a deep, deep depression. I surrounded myself with Bibles and books and spent hours on the internet trying to discover answers. I couldn't find any and there are so many religions saying "do this or you are going to hell" that it truly frightened me. It really caused me intense psychological torment, especially the descriptions in the Abrahamic religions that talk the punishment if you don't comply. I literally psycho analysed the texts and found anomalies that persuaded me that these texts didn't have the answers either. I later found solace in works by "Richard Dawkins" and "Christopher Hitchens". These men are incredibly intelligent and provided me with solace (at long last!). They are evolutionary scientists who are that we "simply don't know" what happens in the afterlife. God (if there is one) knows how many books are floating around professing to be the correct faith. Richard Dawkins argues that the concept of God is delusional and is simply a man made concept to help us understand why we are. He does not believe in God (although admits to being agnostic simply because he doesn't know 100%). Discovering these incredibly intelligent people has helped put my mind at ease and now I am much more happy in myself. In truth, I believe that when you die - you die. I don't believe we go to some happy place in the sky anymore and I don't believe any God would create a place of intense suffering (unless of course he was just a malevolent bully). I simply believe that when it's light's out, it's game over!

• It does depress me

I'm a 17 yr old girl whose family is muslim religion holds so many questions and most of them we cant answer. So far, i want to live life without worrying about religion but i simply cannot, i feel like the thought of me ending up in hell is restricting me of letting go of religion despite all the reason i want and feel is necessary for me to let go. I feel like i am not supposed to ask, only obey and submit. I have never been forced to do anything, i do have morals but i tend to think too much about ending up in "hell" just because im slowly letting go of religion.

• Religion makes me feel like i an restricted, as in I am not allowed to follow my dreams and that depression is a normal thing?

Strict bible rules can condemn boxing and that is ny dream, if i dont follow my dream i get depressed. The bible also says that one of the fruits of the spirt is "long suffering". Why would I want to suffer for a long time?? It makes me feel like I have no control over my life and that im just supposed to do what jesus did or else ill go to hell?? What about my dreams??

• Yes, and often does.

Religion is highly divisive, and thrives on promotion of guilt, intolerance, and discrimination. Religion (particularly the Abrahamic religions) tells its adherents that they are inherently so flawed they deserve punishment unless they appease the gods. Religion tells its adherents that they are to see those not of their beliefs, their race, their sexuality as lesser.
    It is no wonder that depression follows.

• Religion can't make you depressed, but opposition to it can.

Religion in no way makes you depressed, it is meant for you to cope with depression. However, opposition to it can make you depressed. LGBTs have a habit of bullying Christians because we don't accept their "love", so they think its funny to bully and them depressed. Religion helps you cope with everyday parts of life, and there aren't really any restrictions to religions, so you can have lots of fun.

• That is like saying, 'Can apples make you sick?'

Religion is a part of spirituality that is meant to deal with all the day to day problems of your life, as well as bring you closer to God. Religion has many purposes, and one main purpose, is that it helps you during the times of trials and struggles.

God has clearly stated that as you live in this world, you will encounter trials and tribulations, tests that will test your faith, strength, power, wealth, and much more. If you UNDERSTAND the reasons behind your depression, you will come to the understanding that this is nothing more than a test from God.

Many people get depressed, and when people get depressed, where do they end up turning to? Many turn to God, and they soon realize that only God has the solution to all of your problems, and His solutions are incomparable to human solutions. No human can truly help you the way God can. God is your comforter, and to get to God, we have religion, the system of establishing a relationship between man and His creator.

God Himself however said, to not become an extremist. If you go over the bounds, you will have even more problems.

So going back to the apple analogy. Fruits will not make you sick, if you don't eat them, you are missing out on many benefits, but if you eat TOO much, you can get sick, but if you happen to do get sick for eating too much, the solution is to simply cut down on it.

So the answer is more towards the NO side, than it is yes. Religion can cause depression if you are not practicing properly, but if you practice properly, and observe moderation, and use your intellect and understand, absolutely no fear would ever come to you.

I will end this reply by a good quote I read:

"Don't say 'Oh God, I have big troubles.' Say, 'Oh troubles, I have a big God!'"

• No, religion does not cause depression

I believe religion does not cause depression. Religion to me has to do more with your spirituality and not your physical body. Religion is a personal quest for God and the meaning of life. It does not "cause" depression. As a person who suffers from depression, I know that depression has biological roots. It is an illness that requires medication and medical attention. I think it is ridiculous to even suggest that something as abstract and personal as religion is the cause of mental illness, which is just that--an ILLNESS.

• I don't think so

No, I would have to disagree that religion causes depression. I think that there are very many reasons that religion can pull someone out of depression. Religion can give someone a supportive community and something to really ponder and could give them reason for their life. I don't see how this could cause depression.

• Religion cannot possibly cause depression

Actually, it really depends what kind of depression you are talking about. Clinical depression can't be caused by beliefs, feeling depressed might. On the other hand, the belief in a Higher Power who has everything under control is comforting. I am a Catholic, quite religious, the faith in a loving God helped me through when I was feeling depressed (was never diagnosed with CLINICAL depression)

• Only legalism causes depression. That's not faith.

Only a legalistic view of Christianity can bring depression. If people had the revelation of grace they would know that they were chosen by God, extremely loved, and well thought for, cared about, and strengthened by God. The blood of Jesus washed away all sin. Believers are completely renewed in spirit. They just have to receive it. We are all sinners in the fact we do things daily in our minds and by our actions to hurt others (lieing, stealing, sex before marriage for example). But God tenembers those sins no more. The bible specifically states that. We need to be reading our bibles with a soft heart and we need to pray for knowledge, understanding, and discernment. To focus on works and threats is completely unbiblical. Gods word specifically states that those who teach legalism (do good or go to hell) are done of the worst sinners. All we need to do is believe that Jesus is the Christ. That's it!!!! Done. Don't make the death and resurrection of Jesus christ go in vain by thinking you have to be good in order to partake in the glory of God. The work is done!!! There's nothing left for anyone to do but believe. God says to love Him and our neighbor. We're going to have hard days. But we are loved and forgiven and strengthened. We are renewed daily. Please read your bible. You can Google these things and find the versus yourselfs as I'm sitting in my car right hoping someone's persons perspectives change. God is love. Period.

• An athiest's opinion...

There is simply no way of substantiating this assertion. Anyway this whole thing has the smell of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' about it. It is a complete fallacy to suggest that one thing is the result of another just because it happened later.
    There is an endless number of articles on the correlation between religion and depression. Some are more compelling than others. Some assert that religion guards against depression while others say that there is a definite causative effect of religion.
    There is, however, one overriding fact when looking through such papers and that is, there is no uniform definition of depression. There is no singular set of symptoms that allows a clinician to determine that a person is depressed (this in itself is open to debate... As there is a blood test in development that purports to identify protein markers associated with depression.). It is for this reason that depression it quite tricky, diagnostically speaking, as there is very little that is quantifiable. (ThoughNeuroscientists would contest this looking at brain activity on their scans.) The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of depression diagnosis is made through interview and a large degree of subjective understanding of the patient and the disorder by the clinician. This leads onto the realisation that depression manifests differently for each sufferer. Furthermore, the triggers that are associated with the onset of a period of depression are as unique as that person's fingerprint. To try and drill back to a single cause (such a religious belief) is flawed, because depression simply doesn't work that way.
    I have no doubt that religion has some sort of effect on mental health. Whether it's positive or negative, that's down to the individual case.

• Religion is conducive, but what do you actually want from religion?

First, I want to quote form a paper, “THE LOGIC OF RELIGION” by Arthur Clinton Watson published in The American Journal of Theology: “religion is a social attitude toward the non-human environment or adjusting the way life should be.” Being too religious in a special case is not good, on the other hand, too materialistic or secular view is also not good. According to psychology, the human behavior gradually establish a certain type of characteristics by our decisions. I am a Muslim but a moderate one, and the Islamic doctrine behooves us to be shameful of our wrongdoings. There are three basic prerequisites for the repentance doctrine to be accepted. One of them is to be shameful of committed wrong act. For example, if I lie to a person, and want to repent, I should be ashamed of that. However, many religious people continuously lie (maybe they are addicted) and then repeatedly feel a state of apology and/or anxiety. Yes, this might actually contribute to a major feeling of depression.