• Religion makes me feel like i an restricted, as in I am not allowed to follow my dreams and that depression is a normal thing?

Strict bible rules can condemn boxing and that is ny dream, if i dont follow my dream i get depressed. The bible also says that one of the fruits of the spirt is "long suffering". Why would I want to suffer for a long time?? It makes me feel like I have no control over my life and that im just supposed to do what jesus did or else ill go to hell?? What about my dreams??

• Interdimentional Telepathic Wizards

In an increasingly educated society, religion is becoming less and less acceptable. Hoping that an interdimentional telepathic wizard will come to save you from your problems is no longer backed up by a majority of people being strongly outspokenly religious. It is the social connection that brings us out of depression, which is why some studies show religiosity as helping depression. Trying reaching out to real friends, real family, real professional help, and the real strength that resides within you. You will never be happy until you stop looking for a magic man to save you from your sadness.

• I have experienced depression -quite severe depression- ONLY when attending church regularly.

I have experienced severe depression twice in my life. In both cases I was at the time a regular church attender. I have never suffered from depression whilst not attending church. Notice I do not claim that religion is the direct cause of depression, rather that there are elements within religion\church attendance that may make the individual (me) more vulnerable to experiencing depression.

• Religion is depression in many ways.

Religion is in some cases great for very religious people but if your family is religious and so are you but you don't want to be and follow your religion that makes you feel invballanced and if you don't follow your religion anymore you think there will be consequences from your religious God and get stuck in the middle .

• Most of religions lead to depression

I was born a catholic, I am not gonna even start here, because catholicism, along with 90% of Christianity, is pure hypocrisy, and all of the religious people know it, except for the ones who are far too weak minded to face the truth, if you want somewhat of a good life, just stick to what Jesus said, not to the pathetic cult the christians created around him.
    Nowadays I identify myself as a Daishonin Nichiren Buddhist, which is actually pretty nice and, lo and behold, not hypocrite, still a little bit depressing in some points, but then again, so is life itself

• Religion is making me mentally unstable

I'm 15 years old and all my life I've been a Jehovah witness. But as a result my life is horrible. I have no friends, my mom is constantly shoving the religion down my throat wishing that I was more involved in the religion telling me I'm selfish and that's she embarrassed to be my mother. I don't think it's so much religion that causes depression, but.. The way religion is taught now. In my opinion it's mental child abuse which ofcoarse can cause depression

• I know it does in me...

Sometimes when I get down or depressed from basic life troubles, I'll try to read inspirational texts from religious leaders. I almost always walk away more upset and sometimes actually depressed when I wasn't before. No matter what faith I read from, it's all the same: reminders that we'll die, made up stories of what happens after, constant statements on how we're not as good as we should be/that life is horrible and remarks that we can make it better if we all support whatever dogma that person is selling. It's all BS and makes me resent humanity even more. Even when we're reaching for our better selves, we're judgemental, controlling and illogical. The more people try to not be within organized religion, they more they are. Next time I feel sad I'll stick to the chocolate and comedies.

• Religion is a seed of Depression....

Most people feel that they cannot live up to their religious ideal. From an early age many are told that they are worthless and that their lot in life is hopeless. Their basic human right is taken away from them. Most worry about judgement and many live in a hidden state of fear of consequences and guilt.

• Religion is a seed of Depression....

• Religion is a seed of Depression....

• Yes, and often does.

Religion is highly divisive, and thrives on promotion of guilt, intolerance, and discrimination. Religion (particularly the Abrahamic religions) tells its adherents that they are inherently so flawed they deserve punishment unless they appease the gods. Religion tells its adherents that they are to see those not of their beliefs, their race, their sexuality as lesser.
    It is no wonder that depression follows.

• Religion can't make you depressed, but opposition to it can.

Religion in no way makes you depressed, it is meant for you to cope with depression. However, opposition to it can make you depressed. LGBTs have a habit of bullying Christians because we don't accept their "love", so they think its funny to bully and them depressed. Religion helps you cope with everyday parts of life, and there aren't really any restrictions to religions, so you can have lots of fun.

• That is like saying, 'Can apples make you sick?'

Religion is a part of spirituality that is meant to deal with all the day to day problems of your life, as well as bring you closer to God. Religion has many purposes, and one main purpose, is that it helps you during the times of trials and struggles.

God has clearly stated that as you live in this world, you will encounter trials and tribulations, tests that will test your faith, strength, power, wealth, and much more. If you UNDERSTAND the reasons behind your depression, you will come to the understanding that this is nothing more than a test from God.

Many people get depressed, and when people get depressed, where do they end up turning to? Many turn to God, and they soon realize that only God has the solution to all of your problems, and His solutions are incomparable to human solutions. No human can truly help you the way God can. God is your comforter, and to get to God, we have religion, the system of establishing a relationship between man and His creator.

God Himself however said, to not become an extremist. If you go over the bounds, you will have even more problems.

So going back to the apple analogy. Fruits will not make you sick, if you don't eat them, you are missing out on many benefits, but if you eat TOO much, you can get sick, but if you happen to do get sick for eating too much, the solution is to simply cut down on it.

So the answer is more towards the NO side, than it is yes. Religion can cause depression if you are not practicing properly, but if you practice properly, and observe moderation, and use your intellect and understand, absolutely no fear would ever come to you.

I will end this reply by a good quote I read:

"Don't say 'Oh God, I have big troubles.' Say, 'Oh troubles, I have a big God!'"

• No, religion does not cause depression

I believe religion does not cause depression. Religion to me has to do more with your spirituality and not your physical body. Religion is a personal quest for God and the meaning of life. It does not "cause" depression. As a person who suffers from depression, I know that depression has biological roots. It is an illness that requires medication and medical attention. I think it is ridiculous to even suggest that something as abstract and personal as religion is the cause of mental illness, which is just that--an ILLNESS.

• Only legalism causes depression. That's not faith.

Only a legalistic view of Christianity can bring depression. If people had the revelation of grace they would know that they were chosen by God, extremely loved, and well thought for, cared about, and strengthened by God. The blood of Jesus washed away all sin. Believers are completely renewed in spirit. They just have to receive it. We are all sinners in the fact we do things daily in our minds and by our actions to hurt others (lieing, stealing, sex before marriage for example). But God tenembers those sins no more. The bible specifically states that. We need to be reading our bibles with a soft heart and we need to pray for knowledge, understanding, and discernment. To focus on works and threats is completely unbiblical. Gods word specifically states that those who teach legalism (do good or go to hell) are done of the worst sinners. All we need to do is believe that Jesus is the Christ. That's it!!!! Done. Don't make the death and resurrection of Jesus christ go in vain by thinking you have to be good in order to partake in the glory of God. The work is done!!! There's nothing left for anyone to do but believe. God says to love Him and our neighbor. We're going to have hard days. But we are loved and forgiven and strengthened. We are renewed daily. Please read your bible. You can Google these things and find the versus yourselfs as I'm sitting in my car right hoping someone's persons perspectives change. God is love. Period.

• An athiest's opinion...

There is simply no way of substantiating this assertion. Anyway this whole thing has the smell of 'post hoc ergo propter hoc' about it. It is a complete fallacy to suggest that one thing is the result of another just because it happened later.
    There is an endless number of articles on the correlation between religion and depression. Some are more compelling than others. Some assert that religion guards against depression while others say that there is a definite causative effect of religion.
    There is, however, one overriding fact when looking through such papers and that is, there is no uniform definition of depression. There is no singular set of symptoms that allows a clinician to determine that a person is depressed (this in itself is open to debate... As there is a blood test in development that purports to identify protein markers associated with depression.). It is for this reason that depression it quite tricky, diagnostically speaking, as there is very little that is quantifiable. (ThoughNeuroscientists would contest this looking at brain activity on their scans.) The simple fact of the matter is that the majority of depression diagnosis is made through interview and a large degree of subjective understanding of the patient and the disorder by the clinician. This leads onto the realisation that depression manifests differently for each sufferer. Furthermore, the triggers that are associated with the onset of a period of depression are as unique as that person's fingerprint. To try and drill back to a single cause (such a religious belief) is flawed, because depression simply doesn't work that way.
    I have no doubt that religion has some sort of effect on mental health. Whether it's positive or negative, that's down to the individual case.

• Religion is conducive, but what do you actually want from religion?

First, I want to quote form a paper, “THE LOGIC OF RELIGION” by Arthur Clinton Watson published in The American Journal of Theology: “religion is a social attitude toward the non-human environment or adjusting the way life should be.” Being too religious in a special case is not good, on the other hand, too materialistic or secular view is also not good. According to psychology, the human behavior gradually establish a certain type of characteristics by our decisions. I am a Muslim but a moderate one, and the Islamic doctrine behooves us to be shameful of our wrongdoings. There are three basic prerequisites for the repentance doctrine to be accepted. One of them is to be shameful of committed wrong act. For example, if I lie to a person, and want to repent, I should be ashamed of that. However, many religious people continuously lie (maybe they are addicted) and then repeatedly feel a state of apology and/or anxiety. Yes, this might actually contribute to a major feeling of depression.

• I don't think so

No, I would have to disagree that religion causes depression. I think that there are very many reasons that religion can pull someone out of depression. Religion can give someone a supportive community and something to really ponder and could give them reason for their life. I don't see how this could cause depression.