Can religious beliefs overrule government policies and laws?

• No, we must still live under the law.

Even though people may have strong religious convictions, they still need to be subject to the laws governing the United States. As an example, fringe religions sometimes marry off young girls illegally. They are still bound to the United States law about at what age people are allowed to get married. A lot of people of the Christian faith, for example, look to the Bible verse Matthew 22:21 which is basically telling people to follow the law and also their faith.

• No because of separation of church and state

Religious beliefs allow people to practice un judged but there draws a fine line of lawful practice. If every religion was allowed to practice outside government laws, Jihad members would be justified in their terrorist exercises. There has to be order in religion and the new versions of holy scriptures reflect that. There are many practices in the New Testament Bible that have been adapted to modern day society to reflect the law.

• No, religious beliefs cannot overrule government policies and laws.

I do not think that religious beliefs can overrule government policies
    and laws. I do think that they can influence them. But I only believe
    this to be true about Western nations. In other countries, like those in
    the Middle East, I think that religious beliefs have more power in
    terms of overruling government rules

I do not think that religious beliefs can overrule government policies and laws. I do think that they can influence them. But I only believe this to be true about Western nations. In other countries, like those in the Middle East, I think that religious beliefs have more power in terms of overruling government rules

• Not on my watch

I have a feeling that many people think they can get their religious beliefs to overrule laws. In some cases it may work, depending on who their elected representatives are. Most people do not like religion in politics because it impedes on other people's freedoms. That is why government policies will always overrule religious beliefs.