• The inventor of algebra was a Muslim, the discoverer of the Big Bang was a Catholic priest and Einstein was a Jew.

Being irreligious makes no less rational then a theist next to you. Being irrational has very little to do with religion and more to do with being irrational. Saying that all religious people are "irrational" is an insult to at least 80% of the human population, and if that's not the definition of condescending, then I don't know what is.

• Literally how the f*** would ANYONE think they can't.

Some of the greatest minds in history were religious. Einstein was Jewish. Newton and Darwin were Christian. Galileo and René Descartes were Catholic. Buddha was Hindu. The list goes on and on. Not to mention the many other figures of peace and freedom that were also religious. Honestly I'd be surprised if this didn't stay 100% yes.

• Yes they can be, just like all other groups.

Every person has the ability to be rational, it just comes down to whether or not you're willing to admit fault and imperfection.

Think about ALL the democrats already out there saying they are voting for Hillary just because, even though they can't tell you a single thing about her; just because she's a female and a Democrat. Think about politics in general. Some people have gotten so tightly wrapped around their party affiliation, I will seriously listen to them go on and on; when they are told they are wrong and you prove to them that the candidate they should vote for is in the other party and show them the candidate they said they would vote for is the complete opposite of what they are looking for, they say "It doesn't matter, I'm still voting for them."

It's not about being rational, it's about admitting you're wrong and moving forward from it. Pride.

• Just one person has to be rational and religious to prove that this is the correct answer.

Of course some religious people can be rational. That's just common sense. Not all, not many even have to be rational for this to be true. Just one individual proves that religious people can be rational. I personally view religion from a scientific viewpoint- science is proven, so if I deny science, I deny religion. So I view things much the way you would.

• But of course.

A lot of people can be incredibly rational. It is only when religion is involved that all rational thought flies out the window. This is how intelligent people still fall for religion's trap. When a person who believes in religion discusses it, the part of their brain that relies on emotions, particularly fear gets activated and grows. Religion itself is irrational and emotional. It focuses on fear, and fear makes people believe terrible things. Ever seen that Doctor Who episode where the characters in their ever increasing paranoia almost killed the Doctor? It's like that. Perfectly rational, good human beings can become murderers with irrational decisions at the drop of a hat, if said hat was scary enough.

• The fact that they're religious shows they're not rational

Those saying yes are using an illogical argument that because some religious people were scholars, then they are rational. However, scholarly intelligence doesn't determine the level of a persons rationality. I think the main issue here is whether religious people are rational when it comes to their beliefs,and the answer to that is a resounding "NO!"

If a person was rational about religious beliefs then they would reject their religious beliefs since there is no objective evidence for believing such a thing.

Rational is defined as: based on or in accordance with reason or logic

Religious belief are not based on reason or logic,as it is not logical to believe something for which there is no objective evidence.